follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #57
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
I hope so.

I went into my dealer yesterday as they had an asphalt FR-S, with sold sticker, and sadly an auto. The manager of the the Lexus side and the head Scion guy for the dealership were standing by the car and talking when I showed up. I've met them both before but never spoken to the Lexus manager about the car. He saw me looking at it and asked "so, do we have a sale?" as he smiled at me. I looked at the Scion badge on the trunk and said "Not as long as it has a Scion badge." I looked up at him and continued "get me the Toyota with all the options and then you have a sale."

That sent him off balance a bit but he asked why and I started listing off options, after a few I said the Scion guy has the list of differences, I gave it to him to see if he could get me the parts before. Which they told me they couldn't.

Interesting enough, the story has changed now, according to the Scion guy, the FR-S they have doesn't exist right now. There's some issue with documentation and they can't even give the car to it's owner yet because of it. This is possibly the same issue preventing them from ordering the parts as well. There may be hope yet.

I wonder if anyone in Canada can confirm this "document issue".
That's my FR-S if you're in Regina. Don't knock the AT until you've tried it, it's actually very good plus it gets better gas mileage.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #58
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
That's my FR-S if you're in Regina. Don't knock the AT until you've tried it, it's actually very good plus it gets better gas mileage.

Rob

Oddly enough I am in Regina. I'm sorry, but AT will always suck compared to manual :P Just doesn't have the same driving feel, far more enjoyable to rip through gears.

By the way, they said you didn't mind people sitting in it and let me do so. I hope that was the truth. I made sure to be extra careful and gently closed the door when I got out. Very comfy seats by the way and excellent colour choice, was thinking of the same colour... if only it was a Toyota with the options.

I just checked your post history and see the pics, missed that lol. BTW, totally agree with you on our local Suby dealer, I have no idea how they are still in business, their license should have been revoked ages ago.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #59
FT86Katsu

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution 1 GSR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I thought about this hard too. But if you wait for the TRD stuff, that has foglights, you could easily replace the stock radio with something else, I'm sure bespoke will be an option.. if you want a toyota, buy the BRZ and slap some toyo badges on there. Then confuse people with the subaru steering wheel lol
FT86Katsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #60
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If they had the GT86 here, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Instead I'm getting the BRZ.

Aesthetically the silver headlights on the FR-S kill it for me. If they just painted it black inside like the BRZ/GT86 it would look not so cheap. Plus I like WRB, and then the HIDs and heated seats are a bonus (and we also get a better nav in Canada than USA). Actually the heated seats are almost a prerequisite if you live in Alberta.

I thought I would prefer the FR-S bumper, but in person I found I liked the BRZ bumper a lot more than the FR-S.

From what I've read, the FR-S suspension seems like what I'd prefer, but I figure it's less hassle and probably cost to change suspension (maybe to TRD) than to change headlights, so I went with the BRZ.
stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #61
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Katsu View Post
I thought about this hard too. But if you wait for the TRD stuff, that has foglights, you could easily replace the stock radio with something else, I'm sure bespoke will be an option.. if you want a toyota, buy the BRZ and slap some toyo badges on there. Then confuse people with the subaru steering wheel lol
Three Things:

1) I want more than just TRD stuff. I want the push start, dual digital climate controls, leather/alcantara heated seats, heated side mirrors, auto-dimming rear view mirror, the coloured interior on the GT 86 Limited as it's the same idea as my current Celica only it's blue inside, the 86mm exhaust from the Toyota (different than the Scion or Suby, looks much better), LED HIDs, fog lights, I don't want a Scion logo anywhere on the car, the Nav I can sacrifice and go with aftermarket if need be but would prefer Toyota OEM, and there's a few other things. I'm very nit picky about details, the e-brake and speakers on the doors not having red coloured stitching to match the rest annoys the hell out of me, should all be red! It is on the Toyota!

2) I just commented on the Rob_g's comment about our local subaru dealer. They're a bunch of crooks and I have not heard a single good story about them, they've been charged for rolling back odometers and caught sabotaging vehicles. They should have had their license revoked ages ago and they're the only dealer of subaru within a 2 hour driving radius.

3) The Subaru would require even more conversions than the Scion as the suspension has a different setup, the lights still have to be changed, the interior dash is silver and not black, the logo changes, etc. It's honestly more work and more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post
If they had the GT86 here, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Instead I'm getting the BRZ.

Aesthetically the silver headlights on the FR-S kill it for me. If they just painted it black inside like the BRZ/GT86 it would look not so cheap. Plus I like WRB, and then the HIDs and heated seats are a bonus (and we also get a better nav in Canada than USA). Actually the heated seats are almost a prerequisite if you live in Alberta.

I thought I would prefer the FR-S bumper, but in person I found I liked the BRZ bumper a lot more than the FR-S.

From what I've read, the FR-S suspension seems like what I'd prefer, but I figure it's less hassle and probably cost to change suspension (maybe to TRD) than to change headlights, so I went with the BRZ.
I'm in Saskatchewan, I hear you on the heated seats. Must. Have. I'm surprised HIDs are not standard equipment across the board now, as a safety feature for night driving.

How do you figure changing a suspension is cheaper than headlights? lol
Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #62
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm in Saskatchewan, I hear you on the heated seats. Must. Have. I'm surprised HIDs are not standard equipment across the board now, as a safety feature for night driving.

Changing the lights costs more than 3K for parts alone. The TRD suspension is about the same cost, and the mechanics of making the change are probably much simpler. If I bought someone's FR-S components instead (I assume many are going to swap theirs out anyway), it would not be expensive at all. Or I could get something similar in aftermarket for reasonably cheap.

The dealers in Calgary blow too, but at least there's a few small towns around with dealers.
stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #63
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post
Changing the lights costs more than 3K for parts alone. The TRD suspension is about the same cost, and the mechanics of making the change are probably much simpler. If I bought someone's FR-S components instead (I assume many are going to swap theirs out anyway), it would not be expensive at all. Or I could get something similar in aftermarket for reasonably cheap.

The dealers in Calgary blow too, but at least there's a few small towns around with dealers.

Ah but unless you do the work yourself, you have to pay labour charges on the suspension uninstall and install. Lights are far easier to swap out.

Even if there were other dealerships around for Subaru, I'd still be gunning for the Toyota. I have my brand loyalty to uphold.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #64
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ah but unless you do the work yourself, you have to pay labour charges on the suspension uninstall and install. Lights are far easier to swap out.

Even if there were other dealerships around for Subaru, I'd still be gunning for the Toyota. I have my brand loyalty to uphold.
The lights are not going to be easy to swap out on the FR-S. It's going to be hard and very expensive...That is what is holding be back from the FR-S.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #65
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
The lights are not going to be easy to swap out on the FR-S. It's going to be hard and very expensive...That is what is holding be back from the FR-S.
What makes you say that? Going from the FR-S (same halogen lights as on the G 86 trim in Japan) to the GT 86/Limited HIDs would be easy. You already know they mount up fine, the only "hard" part would be the ballast which isn't hard to install at all.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #66
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Don't let a minor issue give you pause. These cars have foglights in other markets. They're probably all wired for it. Even if not, it's relatively easy to add such things.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #67
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
It is WELL worth it. You're going to get bored with a very plain interior and lets face it. You will be spending most of your time in the car if you're anything like me.
To me the FRS/BRZ is great because of the plain/simple interior. If I wanted thousands of gadgets the last car I would look at is this car. Maybe it's just me but all the cars I love have the basic interiors, some don't even have AC/radio
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #68
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

3) The Subaru would require even more conversions than the Scion as the suspension has a different setup, the lights still have to be changed, the interior dash is silver and not black, the logo changes, etc. It's honestly more work and more trouble.

I don't get this.

what you have to change on the Subaru:
- headlight unit
- dash trim
- front bumper cover

what you have to change on the Scion:
- change headlight units
- change headlight wiring
- add fog lights
- panels with red stitching
- change seats

changing badges on the Subaru is a moot point since neither car is wearing Toyota badges...
and as far a suspension setup goes is that necessary? if you get TRD shit you'd have to do it to either car.

swapping out a suspension is WAY easier than wiring in new headlights. We're talking some bolts vs a bunch of wires for chrissakes
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #69
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Grey View Post
I'm a Toyota guy, so of course I would like to go with a Asphalt 6spd MT FR-S. I like the styling of the front end better than the BRZ. Lately I have been getting use to the BRZ though. I feel for $3k more, the BRZ Limited is kinda worth buying. So I been leaning more towards the BRZ at the moment. I think it would be less costly than adding these things myself to the Scion FR-S. The foglights, HID's, keyless entry w push start, nice suede & leather seats, heated seats, Navi Radio, spoiler, digital climate control. I'm not sure if anyone has info if Toyota will have a limited version yet in the states or will these add ons be available for around the same price?
I doubt that'll happen for years.

I personally think it's worth the additional $3250 for the BRZ-limited's extras, though the FRS is also well-equipped as a daily driver. But I wouldn't even consider adding HIDs, keyless, leather, digital HVAC, heated seats, etc to an FRS. That would cost an arm-and-a-leg, and the BRZ is the same car anyway.

The Scion's nose is a little prettier, but both are fine (and I don't have to look at the front end when I'm driving anyway, so IDGAF).
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deslock For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-27-2012), Jay Grey (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #70
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
What makes you say that? Going from the FR-S (same halogen lights as on the G 86 trim in Japan) to the GT 86/Limited HIDs would be easy. You already know they mount up fine, the only "hard" part would be the ballast which isn't hard to install at all.
You also need the leveling motors and auto leveling system. By the time you get all the parts you'll have already spent more than the difference between the frs and BRZ limited, and you'll still be missing the nicer interior. I think the best thing for people who want a gt86 would be to buy a BRZ limited, sell your BRZ headlights and buy some gt86 headlights, sell your BRZ bumper and buy an FRS bumper, put Toyota badges on it and call it a day.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote