follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
^ you support 5.7 Toytoa's because there's simply not a good enough flash if any available for that market.

I havent seen a unichip is a while, so there isn't a plug and play harness that inserts the unichip before the engine ecu? you have to cut wires?

I would like to know so I'm not giving out incorrect info

Thanks

John
No cut wires. Only plug and play. You would know that if you just took a peek at their website. It may not be as powerful out of the box as a reflash but with all the add-ons UniChip has (again see the site) its hard to imagine anything the UniChip cant do, its almost like having 2 computers do the work of one.

I dont see why everyone thinks this is going to hurt a car. The OE ECU still has the final say on limits so if anything it seems safer to me but maybe I dont understand the finer details... I mean shit im only a pilot and part time mechanic...

I am by no means a professional. In fact next to you John Im extremely amateur but dont let that blind you to some one elses product.
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #58
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Garage
On a side note, talking about an ECU registering "disconnects". Would the ECU not assume a disconnect every time the battery died? Or you unplugged the battery to reset the ECU after a bolt-on upgrade as some suggest? Just curious.
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #59
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
No cut wires. Only plug and play. You would know that if you just took a peek at their website. It may not be as powerful out of the box as a reflash but with all the add-ons UniChip has (again see the site) its hard to imagine anything the UniChip cant do, its almost like having 2 computers do the work of one.

I dont see why everyone thinks this is going to hurt a car. The OE ECU still has the final say on limits so if anything it seems safer to me but maybe I dont understand the finer details... I mean shit im only a pilot and part time mechanic...

I am by no means a professional. In fact next to you John Im extremely amateur but dont let that blind you to some one elses product.
OK - I asked above if the ecu had to be unplugged to hookup or disconnect the unichip.. if it's plug and play and you dont need to unplug anything on the ecu side of things.. well how does it work then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
On a side note, talking about an ECU registering "disconnects". Would the ECU not assume a disconnect every time the battery died? Or you unplugged the battery to reset the ECU after a bolt-on upgrade as some suggest? Just curious.
The dealer tool can see if the ecu has been recently reset or unplugged with their dealer tools.

-John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
cruzinbill (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #60
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
The unichip from my understanding intercepts only a couple signals. You don't unplug the ECU. Rather you unplug the specific device you want to intercept, like throttle position for example, you plug the unichip harness between the throttle body and factory harness.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #61
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Garage
Quote:
OK - I asked above if the ecu had to be unplugged to hookup or disconnect the unichip.. if it's plug and play and you dont need to unplug anything on the ecu side of things.. well how does it work then?

The dealer tool can see if the ecu has been recently reset or unplugged with their dealer tools.

-John
Hes def correct about the dealer tool. If they are being as hardcore as people are saying they are... which they are not, they would question an ecu reset after a major problem.

Dealers aren't gonna go digging for something unless things are fishy. So you blow an engine because of either ecutek or unichip tuned wrong and you want to cover it up... well you're a piece of shit and I hope you lose the ability to drive or walk after that. Guys have went in for the HPFP change with a ecutek tune on.... dealers never said shit.

I think people are getting out of control with the whole "dealers gonna take my warranty" bs. These are the same clowns that try to scare people off from adding a sub or somthing because "dealer said my warranty is void now"
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
EL7 (05-18-2013), JoeBoxer (03-13-2013), SMOKETREES (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #62
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
OK - I asked above if the ecu had to be unplugged to hookup or disconnect the unichip.. if it's plug and play and you dont need to unplug anything on the ecu side of things.. well how does it work

-John
Some versions used the ECU harness so everything is done there, this one uses plugs for the sensors it is changing the signal from/to in the engine bay. On this car they intercept the throttle body, the MAF, and the crank position sensor. That's it.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #63
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
Hes def correct about the dealer tool. If they are being as hardcore as people are saying they are... which they are not, they would question an ecu reset after a major problem.

Dealers aren't gonna go digging for something unless things are fishy. So you blow an engine because of either ecutek or unichip tuned wrong and you want to cover it up... well you're a piece of shit and I hope you lose the ability to drive or walk after that. Guys have went in for the HPFP change with a ecutek tune on.... dealers never said shit.

I think people are getting out of control with the whole "dealers gonna take my warranty" bs. These are the same clowns that try to scare people off from adding a sub or somthing because "dealer said my warranty is void now"
+1
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #64
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Could we all agree, that a tuning application is only as good as the tuner? If its either UniChip or ECUtek ultimately we have to rely on the person tuning it. ECUtek will come with a professional tuner, that SHOULD know all the ways to tune. For Unichip tuning you rely on yourself or someone else map. Im not saying that Amateur guys tuning cant beat Pros at tuning, but at least you have the peace of mind that you know who did your tune.
As You can tell i am little bias towards ECUtek, mostly because i am not a tuner/ or would put my 25k car in the hands on an unknown tuner.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #65
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i View Post
Could we all agree, that a tuning application is only as good as the tuner? If its either UniChip or ECUtek ultimately we have to rely on the person tuning it. ECUtek will come with a professional tuner, that SHOULD know all the ways to tune. For Unichip tuning you rely on yourself or someone else map. Im not saying that Amateur guys tuning cant beat Pros at tuning, but at least you have the peace of mind that you know who did your tune.
As You can tell i am little bias towards ECUtek, mostly because i am not a tuner/ or would put my 25k car in the hands on an unknown tuner.
Maybe I'm confused but why are you calling unichip tuners amateurs?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #66
VoiD

Drives: 13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So much bias in this thread.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #67
Xdragonxb0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFrsFan View Post
Maybe I'm confused but why are you calling unichip tuners amateurs?

Well Simply, it seems like most people who want to buy unichip is to tune their own cars. And since you don't tune for money/ For a living i would call you an amateur tuner.

But let say Jack is a Professional Unichip tuner ( i dont really know, he might just be a supplier). I would see his tune as equivalent to let say John from visconti.

I would use UniChip if i knew the tuner, or if the tuner was local and reputable.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #68
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Well Simply, it seems like most people who want to buy unichip is to tune their own cars.
I don't think you could be more wrong.

Jack has done the tuning and made all the maps available to those who buy.
blkwrxwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #69
Xdragonxb0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwrxwag View Post
I don't think you could be more wrong.

Jack has done the tuning and made all the maps available to those who buy.
Then i stand corrected, my perspective of unichip was a more hands on tuning application, where the user does have full control of tuning.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #70
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Then i stand corrected, my perspective of unichip was a more hands on tuning application, where the user does have full control of tuning.
It can be, if you buy the tuning module, but like Ecutek, most people use the off the shelf maps provided by the experts (Jack in this case). He has maps for different intakes, exhaust combos and octane levels.
blkwrxwag is offline   Reply With Quote