follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #57
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
He'll be getting the 2+2 RX-9 which is based off the new upcoming aluminum chassis Miata. Which is going to have an all aluminum already developed DI 1.6X rotary. That car would have more power and balance than a turbo or n/a FR-S. The only thing someone could complain is price.. but the price will only be a few thousand more and still in the mid-high 20s, effectively still outpacing because if you modded your turbo fr-s it would be cheaper to get the RX-9.

As far as raping in handling.. on paper yes.. but are we assuming they are dialing out or have dialed out OR the consumer(us) can later easily adjust the stock suspension bits to dial out the oversteer Suby push right??
isnt the RX-9 going to be a hybrid?

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...ech/index.html
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
isnt the RX-9 going to be a hybrid?

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...ech/index.html

Both
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #59
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
LOL have you ever seen the TRD catalog? a panel filter is warranty kosher, but the intake is "for racing only"... that supercharger kit for the tc? doesnt exist anymore...
Yeah the trd parts list is definitely lacking, but tbh I have no interest in toyota's own conservative and overpriced "aftermarket" parts. My point about scion is that their image is all about personalizing your vehicle, your car is your canvas blahblah. Sofar for scion its only been viual customizations, but I'm hoping the fr-s is going to be their first performance blank canvas.

Excuse typing phone keyboard isn't for fat thumbs.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #60
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82mm 4g63 View Post
Yeah the trd parts list is definitely lacking, but tbh I have no interest in toyota's own conservative and overpriced "aftermarket" parts. My point about scion is that their image is all about personalizing your vehicle, your car is your canvas blahblah. Sofar for scion its only been viual customizations, but I'm hoping the fr-s is going to be their first performance blank canvas.

Excuse typing phone keyboard isn't for fat thumbs.
wont happen. if they wont even warranty an intake, they certainly wont all of a sudden embrace performance mods and tuning...
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #61
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Quote:
wont happen. if they wont even warranty an intake, they certainly wont all of a sudden embrace performance mods and tuning...

That could also be read they are hyping the car and making it look good, because there are not interested in performance.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand. Turbo performance with a warranty, because a damn Injen intake could void warranty.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #62
madfast

Quote:
That could also be read they are hyping the car and making it look good, because there are not interested in performance.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand. Turbo performance with a warranty, because a damn Injen intake could void warranty.
that's because your idea of "performance" is vastly different than theirs. they're benchmarking it against a cayman. that's all i need to know. that is enough to satisfy me, and what i expect out of the car. you? you're probably waiting for dyno sheets, time slips, etc.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #63
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
He'll be getting the 2+2 RX-9... {snip} ...is going to have an all aluminum already developed DI 1.6X rotary.
Can you provide a source for the 16X being already developed? A report in October 2010 at http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazdas-1...ogressing.html says it's been pushed back to at least 2013:

Quote:
Mazda says the future of rotary power is still alive and well as development continues on the 16X — even if it is running behind schedule. Mazda was targeting a 2011 model year launch for the 16X, but the Japanese automaker has pushed back that release date by at least two years.

“Maybe within two years we can tell you when we will introduce it to the market,” said Mitsuo Hitomi, head of Mazda’s powertrain division.
That report also says the 16X will make more power, but I read elsewhere that most of the improvement will be for mid-range power (with only a slight increase in peak power). I'm skeptical about claims that the 16X is promising a 30% increase in efficiency as I remember reading that the 13B-MSP was going to get 30 MPG highway (while it ended up making 24, by the old EPA standard).

That written, if they can hit 21/31 MPG with 235-250 hp N/A and a short wheelbase in a balanced, reasonably priced, 2600-2700 pounds, RWD 4 seater, it'll be a winner.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #64
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
We're arguing different points. If I have a car that is under warranty and I remove the factory intake and install say an injen cai the warraty is not void. If I blow my engine and the warranty company claims it was a result of he injen cai the warranty company is responsible for proving the cause of the engine failure was infact the injen cai. Simply adding aftermarket parts does not instantly void all warranties, or any warranties for that matter.

I'm not suggesting that the warranty company must also cover the injen cai, replacing that is on you. But they are still responsible for every other factory part... unless the results prove the injen cai was the cause, then you're f'd.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #65
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82mm 4g63 View Post
We're arguing different points. If I have a car that is under warranty and I remove the factory intake and install say an injen cai the warraty is not void. If I blow my engine and the warranty company claims it was a result of he injen cai the warranty company is responsible for proving the cause of the engine failure was infact the injen cai. Simply adding aftermarket parts does not instantly void all warranties, or any warranties for that matter.

I'm not suggesting that the warranty company must also cover the injen cai, replacing that is on you. But they are still responsible for every other factory part... unless the results prove the injen cai was the cause, then you're f'd.
Iv seen this happen, but only one of my friends of many was successful enough to make a case on their modded car. Funny thing was it was Scion TC. but the thing is, they had to hire a lawyer. and go through a suit just to see that the warranty was not void. and he finally got his car fixed 4 months later by the dealer who would not release the car to him. It was retarded. If you bring your modded car and say its broken...to a dealer..they will turn you away. Because its modded. The entire process its fucked up. Just to get your car fixed even if you know your small relatively harmless mod wasn't the cause of damage to your car.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #66
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
Iv seen this happen, but only one of my friends of many was successful enough to make a case on their modded car. Funny thing was it was Scion TC. but the thing is, they had to hire a lawyer. and go through a suit just to see that the warranty was not void. and he finally got his car fixed 4 months later by the dealer who would not release the car to him. It was retarded. If you bring your modded car and say its broken...to a dealer..they will turn you away. Because its modded. The entire process its fucked up. Just to get your car fixed even if you know your small relatively harmless mod wasn't the cause of damage to your car.
I believe it, I'm sure people get f'd over more times than not. Glad your friend stuck with it though. A good friend of mine works at a Subaru dealership and he tells me the kind of shit he sees as far as warranty claims on cars with aftermarket performance parts.

The first answer you're going to get from any dealership is "your warranty is void because you did this to your car." It's up to us to say no you're wrong and to pursue it. The law is the law, but sadly the legal process is an expensive and tedious one, but if your lawyer is worth his paycheck you can walk away happy.

I'm not sure what steps your friend took, but I know if I was turned down I'm contacting another dealer first. Then the manufacturer, state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, local Better Business Bureau, and if I'm still not satisfied the FTC. That is, of course, if I know my modifications aren't the cause of the problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #67
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
It varies by the mod and the dealership. The dealerships really don't care about mods. They still get paid by billing the manufacturer's warranty arm. They really don't give a rats who's paying them as long as they are paid. If there's an odd repair they have to justify, that's when this comes into play... and the law is there for you to use. It's not always easy but it is there for a reason and it's pretty simple to represent yourself these days.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #68
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
S-chassis guy here to say bump all you guys bad mouthing a good ol 2.0 turbo.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #69
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
He'll be getting the 2+2 RX-9 which is based off the new upcoming aluminum chassis Miata. Which is going to have an all aluminum already developed DI 1.6X rotary. That car would have more power and balance than a turbo or n/a FR-S. The only thing someone could complain is price.. but the price will only be a few thousand more and still in the mid-high 20s, effectively still outpacing because if you modded your turbo fr-s it would be cheaper to get the RX-9.

As far as raping in handling.. on paper yes.. but are we assuming they are dialing out or have dialed out OR the consumer(us) can later easily adjust the stock suspension bits to dial out the oversteer Suby push right??
It'll be better than the Genesis, by far, plus it will weigh a whole lot less. I'd bet money on the Genesis raping.

That being said, I've mentioned before that I'm worried of Toyota pre-emptively "SW20ing" ('fixes' it to not let idiots spin out and wreck) the suspension...

Subaru push has a lot to do with the entire motor and a lot of the transmission hanging out over the wrong side of the front axles. This car has a more sensible engine and transmission location.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #70
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
It'll be better than the Genesis, by far, plus it will weigh a whole lot less. I'd bet money on the Genesis raping.

That being said, I've mentioned before that I'm worried of Toyota pre-emptively "SW20ing" ('fixes' it to not let idiots spin out and wreck) the suspension...

Subaru push has a lot to do with the entire motor and a lot of the transmission hanging out over the wrong side of the front axles. This car has a more sensible engine and transmission location.
Yeah Subaru's understeer like front wheel drive cars because they have the weight distro of front wheel drive cars.

Besides, a rally car that understeers at the limit is MUCH less likely to kill the driver.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote