follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #57
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
How the hell did SCC shed 700 lbs without a blowtorch?!
It was pretty thorough, and I won't lie... I wasn't about to do that to my Z (when I had it). I can't remember all the details, but I can't think of anything that wasn't necessary to the car for actually, you know, moving under its own power, that they didn't take out.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #58
Jimdawg

Drives: '05 Impreza 4d WRX + '04 Impreza TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZilla View Post
If it was turbo, Sales would skyrocket over just being N/A IMO

Well maybe if it revved to 9k 240hp wouldnt be bad.
I hope you were just trolling...

There are three types of car buyers:
* Ethusiast - to whom turbo doesn't mean jack squat in a light body car designed to go fast in corners.
* Posers - to whom performance doesn't matter, only appearances.
* The rest - wouldn't buy the 86 anyways

So actually, I guess you could be right afterall, by slapping in a turbo (and offsetting the desirable lightweight characteristics drivability), they may be able to attract lots more $$$ from posers who don't know better.

Realistically everyone can see that we're NOT going to see a stock turbo from Toyota, not even when working with Subaru. You can pray for a Subaru version though...
Jimdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #59
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdawg View Post

* Ethusiast - to whom turbo doesn't mean jack squat in a light body car designed to go fast in corners.

So actually, I guess you could be right afterall, by slapping in a turbo (and offsetting the desirable lightweight characteristics drivability), they may be able to attract lots more $$$ from posers who don't know better.

Realistically everyone can see that we're NOT going to see a stock turbo from Toyota, not even when working with Subaru. You can pray for a Subaru version though...
First, where did you come up with those definitions? Those look more like opinions than anything. Why can't an enthusiast enjoy a turbo? And wait, if a turbo is added then the posers would buy it since they're in it for appearances and not performance? Also, where did you discover that we're NOT going to see a stock turbo from Toyota? Has that officially been announced and I missed it?

I hope you were just trolling.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #60
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
Quote:

thanks s2ktoft86 but i got this troll "jimdawg"

I think this guy is stuck in the 80's. I autocross and track as much as possible in my N/A S2000 and enjoy it very much. I love going fast around corners just as much as any track enthusiast. You sound like a normal N/A tool.

Performance is great but you cannot lie and say appearance does not matter to the average consumer.

You really think only posers would buy this car if it looks nice and has turbo? you really serious? This guys thinks by "slapping" on a turbo you instantly become poser status.

DanZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #61
Jimdawg

logic fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
Those look more like opinions than anything. Why can't an enthusiast enjoy a turbo?
Quote:

Also, where did you discover that we're NOT going to see a stock turbo from Toyota? Has that officially been announced and I missed it?
*cough* Forum much? 90% of on this car is opinion. 99% of everything on the net is opinion. 99.99% of everything on a forum about a concept car is opinion. Fail.

Where in modern Toyota history has there been any effort or precedence of them them using Turbos in their lower end fast cars? When was the last time they slapped a turbo in any production cars? 11 years ago? Even the shining new LFA headed the NA route. If any reasonable bet can be made, I’d drop 10 grand against any stock Turbos in the FT.

Quote:
I think this guy is stuck in the 80's. I autocross and track as much as possible in my N/A S2000 and enjoy it very much. I love going fast around corners just as much as any track enthusiast. You sound like a normal N/A tool.
Quote:

Performance is great but you cannot lie and say appearance does not matter to the average consumer.

You really think only posers would buy this car if it looks nice and has turbo? you really serious? This guys thinks by "slapping" on a turbo you instantly become poser status.
How does you enjoying your autotracking experience = me being a 80s tool? You seem to be missing a few explanatory sentences there. Am I missing in the logic chain here?

Appearance does matter to avg consumer I agree, but we’re talking about Turbos vs NA here. Avg consumer (by my definition ppl who will never participate in a race on or off the tracks) need not apply in said conversation.

Read my post again. I stated/implied/opinionated that Turbos attract posers. You interpreted that to mean turbos = poser exclusivity. Jump in fairy logic = another logic fail.

Toyota is trying to build a light and AFFORDABLE sports auto. Show me some intelligent arguments on the following and I’ll show you my openmindedness (note I’m not even asking for proof, just sound arguments):
- Why is a turbo beneficial to the FT design?
- Why would Toyota reverse their own trends and slap in a turbo?
- Why would anyone buy this car for the purpose of going fast in a straight line (beating 370Z, etc)?

If you can’t, well, nothing happens. I keep my opinions and you keep yours.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #62
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Quote:
Toyota is trying to build a light and AFFORDABLE sports auto. Show me some intelligent arguments on the following and I’ll show you my openmindedness (note I’m not even asking for proof, just sound arguments):
- Why is a turbo beneficial to the FT design?
- Why would Toyota reverse their own trends and slap in a turbo?
- Why would anyone buy this car for the purpose of going fast in a straight line (beating 370Z, etc)?

If you can’t, well, nothing happens. I keep my opinions and you keep yours.
I think you're on with a lot of your comments, but the notion of turbos being for poseurs is absurd. For example, not a lot of poseurs in the Subaru market. The Evo crowd, I'm not so sure (and I'm just saying that because I don't know).
Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #63
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:

*cough* Forum much? 90% of on this car is opinion. 99% of everything on the net is opinion. 99.99% of everything on a forum about a concept car is opinion. Fail.
Lawl, then present them as your opinions and don't act like an asshat and present your supposed opinions as fact. Easy enough I would think. Isn't the Genesis Coupe geared towards the low end market, yet there's an option with a turbo? Isn't that the first car that's been boosted from Hyundai? I may be so wrong in that but if they did, then why can't Toyota do it?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #64
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The true car "poseurs" I know of are guys with turbo decals on their N/A cars
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #65
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:

Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #66
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Quote:
This.

Or any other badging that does not belong, like STI badges on an Impreza or WRX; Type R badges on an Si, GTR badges on anything not a GTR, etc etc.

But (and this is just my opinion) I think JDM badging the identical USDM car is okay, such as changing the Acura badges to Honda ones on the Integra/RSX, and such.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #67
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
This.

Or any other badging that does not belong, like STI badges on an Impreza or WRX; Type R badges on an Si, GTR badges on anything not a GTR, etc etc.

But (and this is just my opinion) I think JDM badging the identical USDM car is okay, such as changing the Acura badges to Honda ones on the Integra/RSX, and such.
Nothing is sexier than a GPW NSX rebadged with the red H.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #68
Jimdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
I think you're on with a lot of your comments, but the notion of turbos being for poseurs is absurd. For example, not a lot of poseurs in the Subaru market. The Evo crowd, I'm not so sure (and I'm just saying that because I don't know).
Totally agree with you -> pls note I drive a WRX (not owned by me though). I paddle around in my GGA (the 5 door NA Impreza) normally. I will clarify my post again. I said (somewhat sarcastically too) that Turbos attract posers. By no means does this say Turbo drivers are posers.

It is my firm belief (since S2K aparently wants me to spell any opinions outloud) that a poser would be more attracted to turbos than any NA. This is of course, the import posers; domestic muscle is of course a different story. There are certainly tons of turbos out there in the hands of skilled and knowledgeable drivers.

Taking this one step farther, a hypothetical - if you can picture a punka$$ high school kid who can't tell rwd from fwd standing in front of you, and he told you he wants a fast and flashy ride. You give him two choices, NA and Turbo, which do you think he'll be more likely to pick?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #69
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Posers are easy to spot.

Example, someone buys a JZA80 (Mk4 Supra) and tunes it out because his parents have deep pockets and its cool to own. 4 years later the coolness factor of owning a 4th gen goes down, so he sells and buys a Z06....the process will repeat again.

I mean, I don't know anyone like that or anything from personal experience. *cough cough*
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #70
Jimdawg

Quote:
Isn't the Genesis Coupe geared towards the low end market, yet there's an option with a turbo? Isn't that the first car that's been boosted from Hyundai? I may be so wrong in that but if they did, then why can't Toyota do it?
Genesis coupe is much bigger, wider, taller, longer, and much much heavier (~3300lbs!) than what the FT should be. Basically, its nothing that Toyota is aiming the FT to be. Poor example at best dude. I doubt Toyota places enough importance in Hyundai to copy anything from them. Besides, historically Toyota is prone to copying the asthetics of other brands, but not the design.

**oh no I put a opinion in that last sentence w/o declaring it, S2K don't yell at me!**