follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #57
Do Boy
Turbo FR-S

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Do Boy Send a message via AIM to Do Boy Send a message via MSN to Do Boy Send a message via Yahoo to Do Boy
Downloaded my FR-S DLC
Do Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Do Boy For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #58
SSSJDanny

Drives: 2003 Dodge Neon SXT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Boy View Post
Downloaded my FR-S DLC
Same Here, now I just gotta setup my Logitech G25.

Now I just have to wait for the game itself to update.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #59
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
Get an oil change and it goes up to 202 for the FRS.
That is possible in real life depending on the oil, how much Moly is in it, etc. Motul 300V, for instance is a fantastic motor oil. The engine moves much more freely. It basically reduces the amount of friction that the moving parts create using inferior oils like (mobil1 or other low end synthetics). 2 HP gained from reducing parasitic loss is certainly believable.

...Back to the thread at hand...

I updated my PS3 last night (Version 4.20 I believe) and charged my controller. The game comes in today from Amazon. So It looks like after about an hour of updates and downloads, I should be able to virtually drive around my very own FR-S.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
lordtakuban

Well, after 1 Hour and 16 minutes, I was able to see the intro video. This included the updates and installations to the PS3. Then another 3 minutes or so to add the XL content. Then just a couple more minutes to get the free FR-S. Unfortunately, it only gives you one in Red (You don't get to choose the color). Oh, and for anyone claiming that my internet connection is slow or whatever, here's a speedtest.net result I just ran:

So, after all of that, it should have provided the best experience possible. Here's my impressions of the first 6% of the game that I've played...

Setup:
* I set the buttons to be the same as Forza. Doing so, made it control pretty well. I found the car control to be decent while playing.

The not so good:
* This game looks like a game or cartoon. If you were to see this running side by side with Forza 4, you would clearly and quickly see a big difference.
* The car dynamics are also very artificial looking. Again, it looks like a game
* Not sure why I needed a car to begin taking the license tests. But luckily the XL content helped that out.
* Drive line. This is possibly subjective, but I like to use the driving line on "braking only" in Forza so I know when I'm approaching a corner too fast. This game is either ALL or Nothing. And the line itself looks like crap and doesn't provide as good of feedback as Forza.
* Damage. Where is it? It has already been proven that you can show the cars with damage on them. EVERY other racing game does it. why does GT5 have rubbermaid bumper cars instead?
* Game flow. When I complete a race in a series, the next thing I should be presented with is an option to continue on to the next race. Same thing goes with the license tests. Absolutely no excuse for that other than laziness.

The good:
* GoKarts! Yeah, it's a neat addition.
* Interface. It's much better than I expected. GT4 was one of the worst interfaces I've ever used. No wonder I didn't play it much. This one is fairly easy to jump around in.
* It has the Toyota 86 GT and now the Scion FR-S. If Forza had the car, I wouldn't have bought this game. But it has it.
* Racing feel. It's good. Similar to Forza, but the controller is just not as good as the 360 controller and you will get hand fatigue quickly.

Overall:
As has been said by many people, this game is nowhere near as solid of a racing simulation game as Forza 4. Since I got it with the extra DLC pack (XL Edition) for $40 shipped from Amazon, I'm not disappointed. And all that said, it's still a good game on the PS3. I'll probably play it some more until I get my actual FR-S (any day now) and then it will likely go in the drawer with the other games to make way for Blurays to be watched.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #61
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Do Boy, that's funny! I bought all of the colors and hooked up a black one just like that too.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #62
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,094 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post
Well, after 1 Hour and 16 minutes, I was able to see the intro video. This included the updates and installations to the PS3. Then another 3 minutes or so to add the XL content. Then just a couple more minutes to get the free FR-S. Unfortunately, it only gives you one in Red (You don't get to choose the color). Oh, and for anyone claiming that my internet connection is slow or whatever, here's a speedtest.net result I just ran:

So, after all of that, it should have provided the best experience possible. Here's my impressions of the first 6% of the game that I've played...

Setup:
* I set the buttons to be the same as Forza. Doing so, made it control pretty well. I found the car control to be decent while playing.

The not so good:
* This game looks like a game or cartoon. If you were to see this running side by side with Forza 4, you would clearly and quickly see a big difference.
* The car dynamics are also very artificial looking. Again, it looks like a game
* Not sure why I needed a car to begin taking the license tests. But luckily the XL content helped that out.
* Drive line. This is possibly subjective, but I like to use the driving line on "braking only" in Forza so I know when I'm approaching a corner too fast. This game is either ALL or Nothing. And the line itself looks like crap and doesn't provide as good of feedback as Forza.
* Damage. Where is it? It has already been proven that you can show the cars with damage on them. EVERY other racing game does it. why does GT5 have rubbermaid bumper cars instead?
* Game flow. When I complete a race in a series, the next thing I should be presented with is an option to continue on to the next race. Same thing goes with the license tests. Absolutely no excuse for that other than laziness.

The good:
* GoKarts! Yeah, it's a neat addition.
* Interface. It's much better than I expected. GT4 was one of the worst interfaces I've ever used. No wonder I didn't play it much. This one is fairly easy to jump around in.
* It has the Toyota 86 GT and now the Scion FR-S. If Forza had the car, I wouldn't have bought this game. But it has it.
* Racing feel. It's good. Similar to Forza, but the controller is just not as good as the 360 controller and you will get hand fatigue quickly.

Overall:
As has been said by many people, this game is nowhere near as solid of a racing simulation game as Forza 4. Since I got it with the extra DLC pack (XL Edition) for $40 shipped from Amazon, I'm not disappointed. And all that said, it's still a good game on the PS3. I'll probably play it some more until I get my actual FR-S (any day now) and then it will likely go in the drawer with the other games to make way for Blurays to be watched.
That's nice review and all... but again, let's keep it in topic

you're more than welcome to join this thread on GT5 vs FM4
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027
Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #63
lordtakuban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
That's nice review and all... but again, let's keep it in topic

you're more than welcome to join this thread on GT5 vs FM4
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027
Ahh. Sorry about that. I didn't know there was another thread about the 2 games. You can move the post if you want. Here's a more on-topic post:

Downloading the FR-S from the playstation store was fairly easy. And it's the only free download on there. One other thing you need to do is go into the game to the downloads icon and then activate it in the game. THEN, you have to go to the delivery truck to get the red one for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordtakuban For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (06-30-2012)