follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #57
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeh View Post
After sitting in an FRS with the seat at max height I found that the forward visibility just didn't cut it for me (I"m 5-6") and cancelled my order. If anyone is looking for a red base M/T it's coming soon to Yorkdale Toyota. Ask for Eddy.
You can always put a cushion on the seat to raise your seating position.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #58
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
You can always put a cushion on the seat to raise your seating position.
Therrs actually a lever to raise seating position lol. Guess eddy didn't know his stuff :p
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #59
TheJuggernaut

Drives: 4Gen 4Runner, BMW racecar
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmmm...after Juggernaut's comments I am not sure if I will even bother test driving the auto, it's a long drive to get there. But then again if the auto is used in manual mode none of his complaints would really apply.
No for sure, go drive it. Just don't buy the auto. The rest of the car is all the same so the evaluation is perfectly valid. I've just always felt that wheel-mounted paddle shifters belong on formula cars which have 180 degrees lock to lock so I can't stand using them (note that Ferrari puts theirs on the steering column on street cars unlike their F1 cars). But this transmission does respond properly to them, better than many sequential hydraulic manuals like on BMWs.
TheJuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #60
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
Therrs actually a lever to raise seating position lol. Guess eddy didn't know his stuff :p
LOL either you were a little into the suds or it was just too late last night when you posted this - he did say the seat was "at max height".
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #61
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
No for sure, go drive it. Just don't buy the auto. The rest of the car is all the same so the evaluation is perfectly valid. I've just always felt that wheel-mounted paddle shifters belong on formula cars which have 180 degrees lock to lock so I can't stand using them (note that Ferrari puts theirs on the steering column on street cars unlike their F1 cars). But this transmission does respond properly to them, better than many sequential hydraulic manuals like on BMWs.
Yes I think I will. I was just doing laps at Catalunya in the DTM Audi in PCars using my paddle shifters on the G25 wheel and I experienced once again how much fun it is to be braking very hard and executing perfectly blipped downshifts prior to the apex. I know my limitations, I doubt I can ever do that in a manual car, and the need to do all braking followed by downshifting prior to corner entry in my "real" car seriously interferes with my enjoyment of hooning it around corners.

But I still prefer upshifting with a clutch. Too bad you can't have the best of both worlds. Oops - you can, buy a 370Z manual with the Synchrorev Match tech option! Too bad it's well north of $40k.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
Arthur

Drives: 1999 Impreza Try-R
Did you leave it in "D" or did you use the "M" mode? In "M" mode I found it behaved exactly like a manual in that it wouldn't upshift or downshift unless I told it what to do with paddle inputs. Shifts were very fast, I was extremely impressed with it - so much so that I might find the manual disappointing as it may not be as huge an improvement. I liked that it had a gear shift indicator in the cluster too (numerically tells you what gear you are in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post

Last edited by Arthur; 05-12-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #63
Heero

Drives: 2-door
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm currently driving a MX6 with a KLZE swap + Shortram & Exhaust...

Current car has roughly 200 horses and 165 HP... I wonder how the FRS compares...

I look forward to switching from a V6 2.5 to a 4 cylinder 2.0 eng! Gas savings galore!

And yes... 200 HP, 165 torque is plenty for me :\
Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #64
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post

Current car has roughly 200 horses and 165 HP.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #65
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Did you leave it in "D" or did you use the "M" mode? In "M" mode I found it behaved exactly like a manual in that it wouldn't upshift or downshift unless I told it what to do with paddle inputs. Shifts were very fast, I was extremely impressed with it - so much so that I might find the manual disappointing as it may not be as huge an improvement. I liked that it had a gear shift indicator in the cluster too (numerically tells you what gear you are in).
Great info - did you happen to notice which way the lever goes for manual shifting? I am hoping it's back for upshift like a race car with a sequential transmission - that is the pattern in racing sims and it will be hard to go the other way given the many hours I have "driven" that way.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #66
Arthur

Drives: 1999 Impreza Try-R
Sorry I didn't try shifting with the lever, was having too much fun with the paddles.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #67
Heero

Drives: 2-door
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Doh... torque***

Man... Manual cars get old after 3 days of daily driving LOL...
Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #68
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Sorry I didn't try shifting with the lever, was having too much fun with the paddles.
Found info needed in Moto's review - they got it right, pull back for upshift, just like racing cars. Many brands get this wrong. When you are accelerating hard your natural inclination is to grab something and pull towards it to help you fight g force - so shifting back makes sense.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #69
Ad8707

Drives: 2013 frs whiteout
Anybody else got their VINs. I got mine 2 days ago and it was shown on the computer "en route to Toronto"
Ad8707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #70
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad8707 View Post
Anybody else got their VINs. I got mine 2 days ago and it was shown on the computer "en route to Toronto"
FR-S, right?
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote