follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #57
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,621 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have owned about 30 cars over the years. Three of them were autos. Two of those were the most "fun" cars I owned. Equating MT with fun does not apply to everybody. There can be something rational about all cars and if somebody choses an AT they probably did so for rational reasons. Yep, I bought a MT because I like MTs but I do not for one second that every other person buying these cars should want a MT. The autos in these are great and can be every bit as engaging as the MT if you want to shift manually.
Not once have I said "everybody" or what was the other thing you *ahem* asked me if I "meant to say?"...
Quote:
The guys with autos can't possibly have fun since they have no clutch pedal?
Not going there either. Never have. I'm only giving my own experience and reminding OP of the risk of buyer's remorse, which I think you agree with when you said:
Quote:
Everybody should learn to drive MT and if looking at sporty cars own at least one MT one in their life.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #58
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Is it time for thread derailment with boobs yet?
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-08-2017), new2subaru (01-09-2017), vintagemxer (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #59
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
For me, an auto trans would make my driving experience just too boring...nothing to do.
There's a lot to do when driving in the street - like paying attention. I've found that if it's a boring drive, a manual isn't going to make it less boring. If it's an exciting drive, an AT isn't going to make it less exciting.
Whether your experience is boring depends more on your attitude than type of transmission.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
caus (01-10-2017), Dadhawk (01-09-2017), finch1750 (01-08-2017), Hoahao (01-09-2017), Tcoat (01-09-2017), vintagemxer (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #60
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is one of your which is better chocolate or vanilla topics?

Plus to MT
Some spirited driving and more control
Less likely to be stolen/joy ride
Cheaper to replace/fix
Newer twin has slightly more HP than AT
Car is lighter

Minus to MT
Smaller secondary market when you want to sell
AT has better mileage (but I think hyper mileing types here can beat this)
If you suck at it and never practice you'll grind gears/fry clutch=$$$
Bumper to bumper traffic and hills are a drag
Heavy engine breaking will save your brakes and kill the engine
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #61
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
As someone that has driven manual cars over 200,000 miles in day-to-day commuter traffic in DC, South Florida and Atlanta, I can say that once you learn how to drive a manual it will basically become "automatic" in your daily driving. You won't even realize you are changing gears even in heavy traffic, just like the driving mechanics in most situations so that shouldn't stop you from getting a MT if that is what you want.

By the same token, the AT in the 86 is very good and I don't miss having a MT.

Get what you think suits you best. As you can see the only answers you are going to get on here boil down to MT>AT4EVER and "AT in this car is very good".

It's a personal choice, and I don't think you'll regret either one.
I concur on that one I've owned 6 MT cars in my 14 years of driving. Not gonna debate that manuals are fun and will learn a lot as well, but since I heavily commute to work, taking it on road trips the AT on the car has impressed me.

Pick one and be happy with the decision.
Dadhawk (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #62
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Oh, oops. I didn't mean to imply you discouraged it.

What I mean is it's not an intelligent statement to suggest he "test drive" both. He can't. He can only decide to buy and learn how to drive MT with it.

...which is what I suggest he seriously consider.
Sure he can...Go test drive an auto, in auto...then drive it in manual & leave the paddles alone. From that simple process, he will learn to CONTROL gas and shifting technique, and whether he wants to push in the clutch a couple thousand times a day...
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #63
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBarnes View Post

Is the automatic still as fan to drive as the MT on this car? Will it make it dramatically more slow when hammering on the gas?
In terms of performance the automatic is significantly slower in particular when getting off the line. With a small displacement engine and low torque, you need to use some clutch slip or an all out clutch dump to get the car off the line quickly. An automatic can't do those things. To make matters worse, the automatic transmission is tuned for fuel economy which makes it even slower.

However, once you do get the car moving, the paddle shifters on the automatic is very fast. As many have said it's not like a normal slushbox automatic or some piece of shit CVT. It has a very good manual shift mode.

And once you get into the corners, you have the same great handling whether your car is MT or AT, so it will still be fast in the corners. And that is the main purpose of this car.

As for what's more fun, I'm pretty sure the automatic can be a lot of fun with the paddle shifters but there are a few things it will never be able to do. You will never get some crazy tire squeal from an aggressive clutch dump. You won't be able to squeal the tires either by nailing a redline upshift. You won't be able to start a drift using a clutch kick. Even parking is more fun because I get to hear my N1 exhaust rumble when I blip the throttle instead of just releasing the brake and letting it move automatically. I especially love it in underground parking lots haha. All these things are a lot of fun and you should really try on a manual RWD car at least once. (Just don't go crazy on public streets of course)

As for traffic jams, I wouldn't worry. This car has a very light clutch. I drive to work in rush hour traffic. It never bothers me. Plus I get to hear my exhaust rumble when I move up just like when I'm parking lol
Hoahao (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #64
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Maybe just don't get a car. Buy some jogging shoes instead -- they really help you feel involved.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #65
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
Maybe just don't get a car. Buy some jogging shoes instead -- they really help you feel involved.
Barefoot is the best you pleb.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #66
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Buy whatever you feel comfortable with. Test drive the MT & then the AT. Then decide & report back. Only you can decide what you want.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 AM   #67
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC View Post
In terms of performance the automatic is significantly slower in particular when getting off the line. With a small displacement engine and low torque, you need to use some clutch slip or an all out clutch dump to get the car off the line quickly. An automatic can't do those things. To make matters worse, the automatic transmission is tuned for fuel economy which makes it even slower.

However, once you do get the car moving, the paddle shifters on the automatic is very fast. As many have said it's not like a normal slushbox automatic or some piece of shit CVT. It has a very good manual shift mode.

And once you get into the corners, you have the same great handling whether your car is MT or AT, so it will still be fast in the corners. And that is the main purpose of this car.

As for what's more fun, I'm pretty sure the automatic can be a lot of fun with the paddle shifters but there are a few things it will never be able to do. You will never get some crazy tire squeal from an aggressive clutch dump. You won't be able to squeal the tires either by nailing a redline upshift. You won't be able to start a drift using a clutch kick. Even parking is more fun because I get to hear my N1 exhaust rumble when I blip the throttle instead of just releasing the brake and letting it move automatically. I especially love it in underground parking lots haha. All these things are a lot of fun and you should really try on a manual RWD car at least once. (Just don't go crazy on public streets of course)

As for traffic jams, I wouldn't worry. This car has a very light clutch. I drive to work in rush hour traffic. It never bothers me. Plus I get to hear my exhaust rumble when I move up just like when I'm parking lol

Neutral drop
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-09-2017), Ultramaroon (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #68
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,621 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Neutral drop
legit
Old 01-09-2017, 04:06 AM   #69
JP86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Aero Silver Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've owned my 86 in Auto for the past 2 years and it still thrills me every time I go for a drive.
For the record prior, before buying mine I hated automatics with a passion.
I've got the GTS model here in Aus with the Aero Kit, the biggest advantage of the auto are the paddle shifters, I'm always driving in manual mode, the up shifts are almost instant and and the down shifts are perfect.
I also go down to the track for motorkhana (Aus equivalent of auto cross) and drifting events with no issues, in fact the officials are amazed at how well the auto handles, of course mainly due to the chassis of these cars being designed with this in mind.
Of course being Auto you can't clutch drop and spin the wheels or rev at the lights easily. Sometimes I wish I brought the manual (was close to trading too) but held back.
I have driven the manual too, and to be honest I hated it and no, not because I can't drive a manual I learnt in a manual but the whole feel of the transmission is in my opinion 'clunky', this maybe due to been abused by the original owner but if that's the cause the reliability of the manual is poor IMO.
I can almost guarantee that I'd buy a manual for my next car but in the meantime, my current project is perfect and moving along.
JP86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #70
ysu

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The auto is perfectly fine. I had to buy A/T since wifey needs it occasionally, and I've no problem with it. Yes it's slower off the line, at least a second on the quarter mile (mainly due to not being able to start at higher revs) but otherwise the paddles work perfectly well for sporty - and even track - driving.

If you want to be able to lazily drive in traffic with great fuel economy and the occasional spirited run, A/T is a great choice.
caus (01-10-2017), Hoahao (01-09-2017), vintagemxer (01-09-2017)

Tags
know it all, richardsfrs sucks