follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #57
gt8613
I dream of BRZ

Drives: Prospective BRZ owner.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fine by me. I apologize. I am stupid. Please enjoy these one me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Austin is full of hipsters. So far the people I've run into with FRS' or BRZ's have been really cool, whether they're hipsters or not. Either way they are nice to talk to and wave at me on the roads when we pass each other.

Like someone said, our community is small right now and tightly knit. It would be better to welcome each other instead of bashing on a new owner. Bullying is getting out of hand in this country. Let's not add to that nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to gt8613 For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #58
StarshipPoopers

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So what exactly qualifies as a valid reason to buy this car? I wasn't aware that a $25k car had prerequisites for ownership, set by prospective buyers no less.

I really have trouble believing that a lot of people are spending $25k+ to buy a car that is supposedly socially cool. I'm sure it happens where people are idiots who buy whatever they think will improve their image the most, but commonly enough to motivate you to start this thread? Ever since I picked up my car a month ago I've seen four other twins in and around my city of 6 million people, that's it. Not just that, but buying a FR-S is a pretty big commitment when you consider how spartan the interior features are, even when compared to cheaper sedans & coupes with similar numbers on paper. The BRZ is better on this front but comes at a higher cost yet.

What traits of these new owners make them unsuitable for ownership? I drove a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am before this car. I have no real in-depth mechanical experience on cars aside from basic maintenance. I don't live and breathe cars. I use this car as a daily driver and it has an automatic transmission since I bought it used and took the deal that presented itself.

I might not fit into every intended demographic that this car was intended for, especially since it's a first year model so is still being taken up by early adopters, however it's inspiring me to become more involved with my car and to learn more about caring for it and modifying it. I'm often driving for the simple enjoyment of driving, not just to get to a destination. And after bombing around everywhere in this car's excellent manual-mode I'm convinced that my next transmission will be a manual, regardless of living in the city. I want to invest in a garage, tools, upgrades, etc, etc...

At the end of the day, while I absolutely love this car and can't wait to drive it for the foreseeable future, this is a $25k entry-level sports car that does what it was meant for excellently, but is far from a status symbol.

So don't be pretentious, because while you will get generally positive comments from people about the car and many people will stop and check it out while you're driving past, few people are going to envy you for owning this model specifically because if they wanted it badly enough it's relatively easy to obtain.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #59
gt8613
I dream of BRZ

Mustang was a chick "Secretary's car" until Shelby got his hand on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiggles View Post
Agreed. And as for this car potentially being a 'chick' car (as mentioned in the OP), that's cool with me. Some of my favorite cars growing up have been so called chick cars.

For example, a 2000+ celica gts with nice rims and a tasteful body kit? Hawt.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #60
gt8613
I dream of BRZ

And what on earth made you think that anything I have said so far was in reference to you. And I don't care 2 cents about how many people I can get to check out my car.

If you define yourself as a 'hipster' then read through the thread...I have been told I used that word incorrectly.

And people don't spend $25k for social reasons? Lol, lavish money spending to impress other people is nothing new. Whether it be homes. cars. jewelry, yachts or w.e.

Oh and I live in the part of the country where we have Apple, Google, Cisco, Orcale, Facebook, Intel, McAfee and yadayada companies within a 100 mile radius... We have quite a few affluent people and their spoilt rich kids... Some of them who get a car every year after totaling the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers View Post
So what exactly qualifies as a valid reason to buy this car? I wasn't aware that a $25k car had prerequisites for ownership, set by prospective buyers no less.

I really have trouble believing that a lot of people are spending $25k+ to buy a car that is supposedly socially cool. I'm sure it happens where people are idiots who buy whatever they think will improve their image the most, but commonly enough to motivate you to start this thread? Ever since I picked up my car a month ago I've seen four other twins in and around my city of 6 million people, that's it. Not just that, but buying a FR-S is a pretty big commitment when you consider how spartan the interior features are, even when compared to cheaper sedans & coupes with similar numbers on paper. The BRZ is better on this front but comes at a higher cost yet.

What traits of these new owners make them unsuitable for ownership? I drove a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am before this car. I have no real in-depth mechanical experience on cars aside from basic maintenance. I don't live and breathe cars. I use this car as a daily driver and it has an automatic transmission since I bought it used and took the deal that presented itself.

I might not fit into every intended demographic that this car was intended for, especially since it's a first year model so is still being taken up by early adopters, however it's inspiring me to become more involved with my car and to learn more about caring for it and modifying it. I'm often driving for the simple enjoyment of driving, not just to get to a destination. And after bombing around everywhere in this car's excellent manual-mode I'm convinced that my next transmission will be a manual, regardless of living in the city. Etc, etc...

At the end of the day, while I absolutely love this car and can't wait to drive it for the foreseeable future, this is a $25k entry-level sports car that does what it was meant for excellently, but is far from a status symbol.

So don't be pretentious, because while you will get generally positive comments from people about the car and many people will stop and check it out while you're driving past, few people are going to envy you for owning this model specifically because if they wanted it badly enough it's relatively easy to obtain.

Last edited by gt8613; 08-18-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #61
StarshipPoopers

Drives: Scion FR-S
I'm not taking the post personally and I'm certainly not a hipster. I'm just offering some insight into why someone who isn't a hardcore car enthusiast might still want this car and how they can benefit from getting it and should be welcomed for doing so.

As with any hobby and interest there will be less passionate newcomers, which at the end of the day is mostly beneficial for the rest of us because seeing these cars be successful will help in the long run. On the one hand I don't want to see these flood the streets, but on the other a successful sales record will let us get more of these great cars in the future.

If it takes image and reputation to get people to appreciate their cars more and to look for something better than a run-of-the-mill car than so be it. All I mean is that someone who has no appreciation for the car or the driving experience is probably going to be drawn to another car, of which there are many options at $25k+. Perhaps a more fully-loaded yet cheaper car, a more powerful car at a similar price, or a used car like a BMW or a Mercedes that they can get for a similar price.

Anyways, nothing against you for stating your frustration. But it's better to be welcoming to people and to embrace a communal approach so that ownership is something that remains special. Educate these people on why they've made a good choice instead of scorning them and treating them as outsiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt8613 View Post
And what on earth made you think that anything I have said so far was in reference to you. And I don't care 2 cents about how many people I can get to check out my car.

If you define yourself as a 'hipster' then read through the thread...I have been told I used that word incorrectly.

And people don't spend $25k for social reasons? Lol, lavish money spending to impress other people is nothing new. Whether it be homes. cars. jewelry, yachts or w.e.

Oh and I live in the part of the country where we have Apple, Google, Cisco, Orcale, Facebook, Intel, McAfee and yadayada companies within a 100 mile radius... We have quite a few affluent people and their spoilt rich kids... Some of them who get a car every year after totaling the last one.
The Following User Says Thank You to StarshipPoopers For This Useful Post:
BRZfan (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #62
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I feel so "uncool" everytime i go to car meets with all the colorful clothing and shades they wear.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #63
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yep. Strictly high skool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBrz View Post
This sounds like a topic for teenagers.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #64
BRZfan

Yep. Strictly high skool.. (#2)
Quote:
Oh really? What about me do you not like? You tell me that and I will tell you where!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #65
BRZfan

Name-calling doesn't get you anywhere. You were not there. In THIS case:

The Mustang (1964 1/2) sold 22,000 vehicles the first day. By December 31, 1964 Ford had sold 263,434 Mustangs and by April 1965 had sold 418,812 cars during the first year. It was arguably the first 'muscle car' in some people's minds since it was available with a four-speed trans and a 260 cubic inch V-8. Shelby just took it another notch up. The Mustang met the needs of a wide demographic.
Quote:
Mustang was a chick "Secretary's car" until Shelby got his hand on it

Last edited by BRZfan; 08-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #66
BRZfan

Yep. Strictly PRE high skool. 'Nuf said.
Quote:
I am stupid.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #67
whatsinaname

Drives: 1998 Ford ZX2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP, this is going to blow your mind. All those people buying Porsches (or other expensive performance cars)? Not all of them buy them because they think they are great cars. Who would have thunk it!?
The Following User Says Thank You to whatsinaname For This Useful Post:
czar07 (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #68
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
OP is jelly bc his parents aren't working for "Apple, Google, Cisco, Orcale, Facebook, Intel, McAfee and yadayada companies" and don't love him enough to buy him a $25,000 car.

If only you could have been born into a vajazzled hipster rich family.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #69
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Quote:
They really ought to stick to their 370z and G37s and leave the FT86 ALONE!!!
Quote:
What I meant and care about is the FT86 being treated as a decoration piece rather than being appreciated for what it is.
Quote:
[The NA20 motor is arguably one of the best boxer engines made and can be tuned extensively. It essentially the whole package that a enthusiast would want.
Quote:
In regards to boring the engine. Well, I wanted to refer to the fact that Tada had plans to enlarge the displacement of the cylinders from 2.0 to 2.5.....and my question was whether such an action will mean that the na20 motor will have a higher potential power output than the na25. Because the only purpose of the na25 motor would be to increase stock hp and reducing the density in that way would damaged the integrity of the structure making it more susceptible to extensive pressure.
Oh dear me. Its FRS/GT86/BRZ/86. Its not FT86.

Its FA20 / FA25..not NA20..

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
The Following User Says Thank You to czar07 For This Useful Post:
Conn (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #70
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Back to topic, learn what hipster means first: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
Closed Thread