follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
One time some woman yelled at me to slow down in my Tiburon. I was doing 20mph in a 25mph zone. I have aftermarket I/H/E, but it isn't loud by any means. I wished sooo bad I could've had a way to prove my speed to her. I would have loved to pull over and let her lecture me for a while, then ask her how fast she thought I was going, show her my actual speed, point to the speed limit sign, flip her off, and be on my way.

Some people have kids and lose their minds. Not everyone is out to destroy your kids, lady. Especially in your neighborhood at 1pm on school day. I live here too. Try not to be such an idiot.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If I ever hear anyone yell at me to slow down, I just scream out the window "THANKS MOM!"
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #59
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
If I ever hear anyone yell at me to slow down, I just scream out the window "THANKS MOM!"
I don't know if I'd go that far. Maybe if you're obviously not speeding, but otherwise it would probably just make you look like a dik.

I do hate the whole holier than thou/speed kills mentality. I can understand losing your shit about someone speeding in front of your house if you live in a subdivision or your house is close to the street, especially if you have kids, and extra-especially if your kids are little dipshits that play in the street and don't get out of the way for traffic, but getting mad at people speeding on wide open rural roads or on highways specifically because "speed kills" irritates me to no end. I've got $1,000 for the first person to show me an autopsy where the definitive cause of death was speed.

No person has ever been killed by speed. Ever. Maybe, maaaaaybe from G forces on account of acceleration. Maybe. But speed does not kill. You know what does? Blunt force trauma from crashing.

Yes, many people have crashed and died while speeding, but usually the root cause of death is the person being an idiot. Less often but still common causes would be a lapse in judgment, mechanical failure, or really bad luck such as a surprise animal or maybe a boulder.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
frsvr4

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
loud pipes do save lives. Even with my Vance and Hines exhaust on my buell is still have idiots almost running me off the road all the time...
These two points are highly contradictory.
frsvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #61
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I just got the Invidia N1, and the difference is pretty crazy form what i used to have so yes i do find myself driving slow in my street so people dont hate me!!!
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #62
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVR4 View Post
You know what's a whole lot more impressive? A fast car that's relatively quiet.
That could be us! if our cars were fast...
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #63
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySaxon View Post
I agree with this mentality.
Now, I like mine to have more of what I hear behind the wheel. It has a pleasing rumble you have to admit but that just doesn't translate to the exhaust unfortunately.
I don't want it LOUD, i want it to be more pronounced.

I saw a guy in a 350Z that had twin turbos and a couple of giant tailpipes. He was actually driving like a decent person. Until I drove past him, he saw me and had to speed up and dodge a bit to get up to me so I figured "what the hell, i'll entertain him"
We both took off and i was keeping up until the turbos kicked in, then there was a puff of smoke out the back and his Z took off.
We ended up driving to the same store and we checked out each other's cars.

I was impressed with the power in that Z and he thought my 10 series was pretty sweet looking.

This for me is the essence of driving cars like these and modding, it's for the entertainment and the joy of driving. It's not about making your civic loud and obnoxious looking while doing nothing with the engine in it, it's about being smart with how you build your car and building it to make yourself smile, not anyone else.

I figure as long as you smile while driving the car, you're doing it right.
How loud is a twin turbo z? I've never heard one in person.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #64
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
How loud is a twin turbo z? I've never heard one in person.
At first not bad, but when it winds up and dumps down the highway, well I could hear it over a 5500 rpm rev on the highway.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #65
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
When would you ever be at 6000+ RPM in a 25, 35 or 45 mph zone in the city? Are you just riding in 2nd gear going a cool 50 mph at pace? -_________-
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #66
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
if the exhaust sounds tinny or a loud exhaust on an economy car, that irritates the hell out of me.

if its a nice powerful sounding exhaust on a sport or muscle car, hell yeah I love that shiz.

but yeah w/ the perrin unresonated headerback, going over 3k rpm makes people angry I've noticed. even if you are shifting at 3k people take that as being loud and obnoxious and try to race etc. never happened before a got the exhaust.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #67
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
if the exhaust sounds tinny or a loud exhaust on an economy car, that irritates the hell out of me.

if its a nice powerful sounding exhaust on a sport or muscle car, hell yeah I love that shiz.
This car is the most aggressive sounding 4 banger I've heard behind the wheel. If I could just figure out how to get that growl out the back without sounding like a rice burning tin can that would be great

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #68
Anthony
Weight Nazi

I don't care if people are trying to race me or not. I usually find it pretty entertaining, especially since it's dudes in trucks more often than not. I can understand people getting mad at riding around at high RPMs in a neighborhood, but if you're out in a non-residential area, who cares? If I'm walking through a parking lot, and suddenly the loudest Harley ever rides by, I don't get mad about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
sprintertrueno86 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #69
AL008

Drives: Celica 04
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySaxon View Post
This car is the most aggressive sounding 4 banger I've heard behind the wheel. If I could just figure out how to get that growl out the back without sounding like a rice burning tin can that would be great

I found the most aggressive sounding 4 banger I've heard was the 2ZZGE engine. When lift hits, it screams!
AL008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AL008 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #70
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL008 View Post
I found the most aggressive sounding 4 banger I've heard was the 2ZZGE engine. When lift hits, it screams!
My girlfriend has one and I keep telling her she needs to quit diϲking around and put a cold air intake on it.