follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #57
nate89

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Also, given that I like the 1 series and Z3 coupe I think the more intelligent among us will recognize that I don't care a great deal about what the car looks like :P
The 1 series and z3 are great looking cars.

Also, just put a hidden hitch and get a hitch mounted bike rack. Thats what my buddy did with his GC.
nate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #58
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
will this car have sliding doors like a minivan? I have a family of 8 and if I can't cart them to soccer practice, well it looks like I'll be in the market for a used Ford Windstar.

Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #59
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Damn, so many whiners here, I could give two fucks whether you think this car looks good with a roof rack or not, mountain driving with the FR-S is sure to be a blast... dorifuto bishes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #60
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If I decide to use my hitch mount on the FR-S, it will require a 2" receiver. That would look a bit odd.

My wife is buying a Prius v this spring. I will be adding a 2" receiver to it for the purpose of hauling bikes. The FR-S/BRZ doesn't need to carry that stuff for me.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #61
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
calm down...it ain't that serious....

poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #62
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I want a hidden hitch for any car. Even my SUV I'd rather use the hitch rack and keep the dirty bikes outside and not have to fold down seats (even in a Legacy wagon, 1 seat needed to be folded vs just dropping it on the hitch rack).

My 2 bike rack is on a class 1 1 1/4 , but has a 2" adapter if needed.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #63
MotoChris98

Drives: 13 Mustang Boss, 02 Miata, 07 ZX10R
I can also vouch for what you said about Colorado. And the kind of conditions that would stop my Miata with snow tires are the kind of conditions that they would close I-70 to all public traffic anyways. Many people are such skeptics of RWD in the snow with the latest gen snow tires, even if I tell them from first hand experience sometimes they just think I'm crazy or it goes in one ear and out the other. Some people are only convinced once they see you on the road and just how driveable your car can be in those conditions. And here in Colorado in the snow I've seen quite a few SUVs with California plates rolled over on the side of the road.

I think this should be able to be a decent year round, do many things type of car, it seems like they kept this in mind as they developed this car, and it was tested in the snow (and even given a snow mode button in the auto version) for a reason. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syldrin View Post
imo it's because california is illprepared for heavy snow also population density is crazy here so i think they enforce anything they feel they can to minimize accidents. last year when i was comeing back home from CO to CA there were people completly stopped due to a very small amount of snow. in colorado i never once saw chains enforced except on 18wheelers. took me 6 hours to do 100 miles it was miserable ~.~
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MotoChris98 For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (07-27-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #64
funbeatsfast

Drives: '13 FR-S
Thule makes an easy to install perma-mount foot that you could put on the FR-S. They're low profile and go on without removing the headliner. Don't ask me how I know.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...ker-kit-14.asp

Remember, I said could - not should. So please don't.
funbeatsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #65
dietz

Drives: Raven / 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Go to the new thread for the BRZ Dark Grey photos...there is a shot from the top down, doesn't look like there are factory mounting points. Unless they are like a newer mini cooper, where they are actually VERY fine indentations in the plastic that you cut through. Also, Vorschlag was asked about this when they inspected the BRZ and although he wasn't specifically looking for it, said that he didn't remember seeing any. Looks like Thule/Yakima normal mounts might be our only option.
dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #66
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
IMO, roof racks would ruin the car's look especially since its quite small.

The car is a sports car, if you want to carry something like a surfboard or snowboard, then it's better to look for another car.

I haven't even put roof racks on my Corolla, I just put my bike in the trunk. I do bike races too, so you'd think I would use a roof rack but I'm happy enough taking the wheels off, and storing the frame in the trunk.

The FRS's cargo space looks big enough to store a bike (provided the rear seats are down) and its detached two wheels. In all honesty I would drive the FRS to a bike race, I'm confident it can fit everything. But that's just for one person.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #67
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
IMO, roof racks would ruin the car's look especially since its quite small.

The car is a sports car, if you want to carry something like a surfboard or snowboard, then it's better to look for another car.
A roof rack will make the FT86 practical enough for my needs. Despite that, you're saying it'd be better for me to instead get a larger, less fun vehicle because a roof rack would ruin the FT86's looks?
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
MrBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
A roof rack will make the FT86 practical enough for my needs. Despite that, you're saying it'd be better for me to instead get a larger, less fun vehicle because a roof rack would ruin the FT86's looks?

Agreed! The racks are removable. They wont be on there for daily driving.
MrBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #69
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Actually I have to admit, I realized that I engaged in a subjective approach to the overall topic because I was so ignorant of the typical person who doesn't use their car to engage in physical activity. See, if I had racks, I wouldn't even take them off because every weekend or so I need to travel to the middle of nowhere in California to do bike races. With that in mind, taking off the bike racks would actually negate the praticality if I took them on and off every weekend. I was speaking through my point of view and to people whom share the similar experience. Plus my bike easily fits in the trunk. And if the FR-S can fit a two pairs of 17" wheels with tires, it could definitely fit my bike.

In other words, I had forgotten that there are actually people who only use the roof racks every now and then, maybe for a special occasion.

I know that decent aftermarket roof racks could cost up to $500 (Yakima, Thule) alone for just the crossbars and the mounts, but you could expect a higher for an "OEM" one.

So sorry again, I was speaking for myself.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #70
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd put racks on ... and leave them on.

Function over form.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, roof rack