|
|
#673 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I've been making minor adjustments to my design... I had to level out the center channel by manipulating it by hand in order for it not to rock to one side. I was fairly successful at making it square... I'll see how it sits once installed... previously the door was not quite centered.
I also noticed that the foam support on the trunk side is not level all the way across... it drops about the thickness of a ABS and/or Kydex sheet (.090 - .093") where the OEM audio amp sits. The drop causes the right side to pull down too far and the left side to rise up once the push pop is secured. I'm going to be adding a spacer and a longer push pop there to level it. If all goes well, I hope to start upholstering my panels this weekend. I'll still have to wait on a pair of 22mm (.875") anodized black Quick-Latch Minis (p/n: QL-25-S22) for the seat back panel door. More too come... __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#674 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I figured out my seat back panel door alignment issues... one issue was that area of the 86 was not level... it was just off... higher on the passenger side. Second issue was my my center channel was also a touch higher on the passenger side...it was torqued a bit or I torqued it trying to get it to come down on the passenger side.
To troubleshoot this issue, I removed the passenger side rear support. I reinstalled all other components and the alignment issue was basically gone. I then reinstalled the rear support and slotted the mounting holes to allow for proper alignment. I basically slid the rear support down. I decided to redo the template for the rear supports... this time the holes will be slotted for adjustability and the stabilizer will be part of the template. ![]() I also went ahead and aligned my marks and drilled pilot holes for the Quick-Latch mini fasteners and posts. ![]() ![]() ![]() Getting close to finishing this project... __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#675 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I accomplished a few things today...
![]() ![]() Center channel falls into the top space...velcro in this space will secure the center channel to top panels and create a clean seam once upholstered. ![]() ![]() Upholstered (Velcro temporarily placed in this pic)... ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#676 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
Rear Supports version 3 completed...this should be the final version. Quick test fit looked good!
![]() ![]() Latches for hinged door... ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#677 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I'm almost complete... I still need to install some more velcro on the underside of the center channel and repaint and rivet the hinge.
![]() A buddy at work sewed this pull handle for me. It will install at the top dead center of my seat panel back door. The red and black works...the material came from an old camera bag shoulder strap I had stored away. ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#678 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
In these pics you could see that I raised the area in front of the hinge with batting... I did this to conceal the hinge as much as possible and so it would flow with the batted top panels.
![]() ![]() ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#679 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I ended up having the hinge powder coated gloss black... here is how it turned out...
![]() Sandwiched the door panel between the hinge leaf and a piece of sheet metal...I did this for strength at the hinge joint. ![]() ![]() ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#680 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
Here is my upholstered center channel with powder coated hinge... I used a stapler to pop out vinyl covers for the rivets... turned out nice.
**The top of hinge does not have covers... it will be covered by fabric... I just painted the rivets heads with a black sharpie for the hell of it. ![]() ![]() ![]() Latest and greatest rear supports... plus foam secured (velcro) center support... ![]() ![]() This spacer may not be necessary but I made it anyway... it levels that particular corner... without it, the center channel would pull down about .090" when secured with the Christmas tree pop clip. I secured the spacer with paper thin 3M double sided tape. ![]() I had to readjust the height of my rear supports since I removed the previous version that were adjusted correctly. I may complete this project this Saturday if not tomorrow if I can get the door lined up to my liking. Once the door is square, I will verify the alignment of the Quick-Latches and posts before upholstering the panel. __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix Last edited by zeal86; 04-01-2017 at 12:47 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#681 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I had to open these up to allow for more adjustability... everything lined up for me when I pulled the center channel forward... it was the easiest thing to do to keep everything aligned.
![]() I had to open these up because the holes were too close to the radius... I used a nibbler to opened it up which made things very easy for me. Decided to go wider... ![]() Pics of it all coming together... ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() I also plugged the seat belt buckle hole... I didn't want to take apart the assembly so I purchased a bolt...this part caused me to go on a wild goose chase tracking down the hardware because as it turns out... this particular bolt is standard... it is 7/16-20. I've never run into standard hardware on an import...at least that I can recall. ![]() ![]() All I have left is to upholster the seat back panel... door is working great... hopefully it won't catch on the sides after it is upholstered...it is going to be snug. __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#682 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
Added rivets with washers so the velcro would stay down when adjusting and or removing.... it started to pull up in spots...
![]() I used JB Plastic Weld to fill in an elongated hole after I made an adjustment.. this stuff works great! ![]() Quick-Latch coming through... ![]() in the process of upholstering the panel... ![]() I'm like 95% done with the last panel... I really want to be done with this so I can move on to my Mishimoto coolant overflow tank install... __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#683 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
ok... so I'm basically done with all my panels... I'm happy with how it all turned out... I still need to make the holes for the Quick-Latch posts but that should be quick... I think I'm going to burn the opening for the post with my butane soldering iron...
Just waiting on my Essex harness bar which is being painted Beatrush gold. Then I'll put everything back together and install the seats... I may install my Mishimoto coolant overflow this Saturday... hopefully I'll find some time to do so. ![]() ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#684 |
|
Amazing Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 221
Thanks: 209
Thanked 192 Times in 111 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
|
This is dedication. I am very impressed
|
|
|
|
|
|
#685 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
Hinge pin installed but not trimmed...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
#686 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives:
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,158
Thanked 1,939 Times in 924 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
|
I located the center of the backside of the Quick-Latch then proceeded to melt and singe the fabric with my butane soldering iron.
![]() My rear seat delete is now complete... I just have to reinstall it. I hope I'll have my painted Essex harness bar by tomorrow or Saturday so I can install it and then button everything up. Next up are the Bride seats and rails... followed by the Mishimoto polished coolant overflow tank. __________________________________________ projekt zeal86 build zeal.eightsix Facebook Instagram @zeal.eightsix |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Beginner STX Build Whiteout FRS Build Thread | Hachi86Roku | Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting | 21 | 03-31-2020 07:52 PM |
| PC Build Thread | WingsofWar | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 126 | 01-22-2017 09:59 PM |
| Kylefrs Build Thread | kylefrs | Member's Car Journals | 14 | 01-28-2015 08:27 PM |
| Jac's BRZ build thread | Jac | Member's Car Journals | 0 | 04-30-2014 07:09 PM |
| EOJ (Not much of a Build) Thread | jonbatz01 | Member's Car Journals | 41 | 07-31-2013 07:34 PM |