follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #6819
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfapollo View Post
What? Is this a real thing? I'm going to the Googles to make sure. I don't know what to make of this...

Check out xim4.com. I've used their older products. Fantastic product and company.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #6820
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS View Post
Perhaps my idea was a bit too simple. The 1-10v controller would have a mechanical means of interpreting what the petal position is. Based on this position the same apparatus would send a 1-10v signal to the controller that would basicly act as an interrupt between the phantom power supply and the dc motor. It would allow whatever the neccessary voltage to charge the motor. But, the phantom has its on controls that would conflict. If I remember correctly, it activates 100% at 70% throttle and recharges when not in use. Doesn't seem like a terribly complicated work around but, without having one right in front of me I'm most likely just talking out my Ass. Good luck to you guys though. Also, I'll be doing something like the phantom only nothing like the phantom (no electric motor). I hope to start fabrication in the next month or so. My end goal is to have a reliable means of boost capable of directly competing with tradition superchargers and turbos for around the same price as the phantom. It would be similar to the phantom in that is going to be a zero lag system but that's about it. Again, not building an electric supercharger or stealing anyone's idea. I believe mine is going to be the first of its kind. So if that sounds interesting, keep your eyes peeled.
So you meant pedal in the last post, yeah won't work very well, already explained it to you. The interrupt idea wont work either with your proposed implementation. Good to see you picked up on the conflict, although still not realising it would be more so of DR than activation. The more I look at it, the more I realise why rob did it this way for the price point.

Other than that, something that is zero lag, no exhaust gases, no pulley+belt and no electricity, where are you going to get the energy source from? And how are you going to convert it into air pressure? then combustion?
Do tell, at least in concept as I hope it would be more feasibly interesting than your previous suggestions.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #6821
reignerabellera

Drives: GTX 86 2014
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
how i wish rob will go international or sell this amazing upgrade overseas, im so obsessed with this upgrade because of your feedbacks. how i envy you guys
reignerabellera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reignerabellera For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #6822
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Can it be new batch time now?
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #6823
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
So you meant pedal in the last post, yeah won't work very well, already explained it to you. The interrupt idea wont work either with your proposed implementation. Good to see you picked up on the conflict, although still not realising it would be more so of DR than activation. The more I look at it, the more I realise why rob did it this way for the price point.

Other than that, something that is zero lag, no exhaust gases, no pulley+belt and no electricity, where are you going to get the energy source from? And how are you going to convert it into air pressure? then combustion?
Do tell, at least in concept as I hope it would be more feasibly interesting than your previous suggestions.
since he didn't say in the previous post, I presume he does not want to reveal his idea till he has something to show.
Still a scuba tank with a high pressure air pump would be a similar concept to the ESC. Might take a special exhaust housing and wheel, but no extra heat under hood, no oil or turbo exhaust manifold needed. The pump shuts itself off at desired pressure. A simple pressure regulator between the the tank and the turbo "exhaust" wheel would maintain a constant pressure thus a constant boost no matter how much air the engine needed, so constant boost through the the whole rpm range. With an electric air valve, you could hook it up with a full throttle switch. Based on the speed of the valve you might not need a wastegate. BOV would still probably be necessary. All this is theoretical though as I don't know how big, heavy, power hungry a high pressure air pump would be, or how much flow would be necessary from the tank and the pressure regulator. Probably not feasible or someone would have already done it, but an interesting concept imo

after looking it up, a hp pump is too large. If this system did work, It would have to work like nos, and change out bottles as they emptied. Plus even at 3000 psi, I don't know if there is enough volume to spin up a turbo, or what kind of lag you would get.

Last edited by Target70; 07-27-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #6824
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I checked them all out and came up with nothing.
Finally broke down and PM'd Rob.
His usual outstanding customer service strikes again. I got an almost immediate response with some things to check out. One of the things he wanted me to check was to turn off the volt meter switch and turn on the ignition then turn on the volt meter switch and listen for the controller to beep. There was no beep only the fan turning on.
But something I did notice was a noise coming from the MAF area.
Can someone check and see if this is normal? Don't start the car just turn the ignition switch all the way on and listen for noise around the MAF (intake manifold).
So I'm going PM Rob again and see what to do next.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is what I was doing when the ESC failed. I was doing burn outs because I'm getting new tires on Monday and figured "what the hell might as well take these down to the belts".
My plan was to do a flat foot shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd and see if I could spin the tires continuously all the way thru 3rd gear. But that's when the car went into wimp mode. And it's been in wimp mode ever since.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #6825
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I'm back to NA. I had to jury rig the intake back on because I'm not going to replace the stupid sound tube. Looks like I might be NA for a while so I need to make an alcohol run. No way I'm going back to NA on gas. I went through 30 gallons of E85 last week I was having so much fun with the new tune. I got 2 more gas cans so now I can transport 40 gallons at a time.
Attached Images

WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #6826
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I'm back to NA. I had to jury rig the intake back on because I'm not going to replace the stupid sound tube. Looks like I might be NA for a while so I need to make an alcohol run. No way I'm going back to NA on gas. I went through 30 gallons of E85 last week I was having so much fun with the new tune. I got 2 more gas cans so now I can transport 40 gallons at a time.

Pull out the maf. One member had filter particles on the maf and it caused issues.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 07-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #6827
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I know this question has been answered before even when I posted it. I have the opportunity to buy it used from someone and I would like to hear your answers just one last time. How close to stock does this car drive when the boost is not engaged? This is very important to me as I am driving at partial throttle more often than I ever drive WOT engaging the boost. I don't want to lose the underpowered but snappy throttle response from 2.5 to 3.5k that I describe as the "playful area" Fenton has said you lose about 10hp up top around 6k which does not matter to me. However their was a dyno posted a few pages back by Jac showing a comparison dyno of stock vs this system with the DR system. This dyno clearly showed that stock had more tq and HP in that playful area with the DR exceeding stock around 4k and up. Maybe he had an older system/ controller ? Thx in advance
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #6828
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
I know this question has been answered before even when I posted it. I have the opportunity to buy it used from someone and I would like to hear your answers just one last time. How close to stock does this car drive when the boost is not engaged? This is very important to me as I am driving at partial throttle more often than I ever drive WOT engaging the boost. I don't want to lose the underpowered but snappy throttle response from 2.5 to 3.5k that I describe as the "playful area" Fenton has said you lose about 10hp up top around 6k which does not matter to me. However their was a dyno posted a few pages back by Jac showing a comparison dyno of stock vs this system with the DR system. This dyno clearly showed that stock had more tq and HP in that playful area with the DR exceeding stock around 4k and up. Maybe he had an older system/ controller ? Thx in advance

Without activating the unit (but still on so that drag reduction is functioning) there is no difference on the car.

It feels and drives the same. Activate the the throttle switch and you have a very fun car now.

Trust me it's worth it, and I know nlowell has taken care of the system. It's a good buy.

Installed Mods:

Last edited by Sojhinn; 07-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #6829
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
You will lose a little but it still has the exact same character.... Its snappy and just wants to go the same as it did before.

Here is my DR graph.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1406477657017.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  49.7 KB
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #6830
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I'm back to NA. I had to jury rig the intake back on because I'm not going to replace the stupid sound tube.
To cap off where the intake meets the sound tube garbage, I found in my garage a cap from a bottle of insecticide that fits perfect and clamped it. Looks cleaner than that big 'ol box sitting there.

Last edited by Winjr; 07-27-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winjr For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-27-2014), WNDSRFR (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #6831
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Without activating the unit (but still on so that drag reduction is functioning) there is no difference on the car.

It feels and drives the same. Activate the the throttle switch and you have a very fun car now.

Trust me it's worth it, and I know nlowell has taken care if the system. It's a good buy.
Im not buying it from nlowell
Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #6832
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Im not buying it from nlowell

Interesting.

Installed Mods:

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive