follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #6203
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I just got Visconti's latest tune (1.14b5) update. I'll hopefully flash it in today and compare that to William's. Until now the latest tune I had from Visconti was 1.14.

Edit: Um, I'll just let this speak for itself.
Those -4+ are ridiculous! I share your pain.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #6204
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
can you help me understand what I an looking at here???

also which is which map?
The top is Visconti's latest tune, the bottom is Delicious's latest. You can see across the top of each log the tune file information is listed.

On each may you can see the Advance Multiplier, Knock Correction, and Knock Correction Learn value.

Once again, I'll let Bruce handle the explaination. @mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb
Short term trims, so long as they are less than 10% most of the time and you see them swing from + to - and vice versa should be ok. It's when you start to see big numbers like high 20's that stick around around that you need to be concerned. SHort term trims go to zero as soon as the ecu transitions into open loop (no longer targeting 14.7:1).

Long term trims, work in conjunction with the short term trims. Your total trim at any time is the combination of the long and short term. Unlike the short term trims, long term trims stay active when you go into open loop. As a result, they directly affect your AFR at WOT. In general, you want the long term trims as near zero as possible. + or - 5% is ok so long as the tuner accounted for that when they dialed in your afr.

There are three knock related values. Knock Correction (CA) is the course correction, if you see an occasional -1 here you are ok. If you see a lot of -1 or any number more negative (like -2) then the tune probably needs work. Knock Correction Learn Value is the long term correction and it works with IAM (Ignition Advance Multiplier). Timing is added to the base timing map by multiplying IAM * Advance map. IAM starts at 0.7 stock. A happy tune will slowly work it's way up from .7 unhappy will work it's way down from .7. Some tuners turn off the system by setting the advance map to zero (in this case you would always see zero for the knock correction learn value). By default, no timing is added till after .6 g/rev load is reached so light throttle cruise and such knock correction learn value will be zero most of the time. You really want to pay attention to the IAM during wot or open loop, if you see it going down timing is being pulled.

AFR will depend on NA or FI and E85 vs pump. Stock sensor only reads down to 12.1:1. NA, anything richer than 12.5 is costing you power anything leaner than 13.2 (WOT) is going to be knock prone. FI, you really want to be in the 12's as soon as you go into boost and ideally drop down into the mid to high 11's (stock sensor can be adjusted to read into the 11's).

Thats should get you started
From what I understand the advance multiplier dropping repeatedly and the negative numbers in the knock correction is the biggest concern. The fact that the AM dropped all the way to .54 after only a short drive, and this was all closed loop, part throttle driving, I was scared to try going WOT. I know modern engines run very near knock at part throttle for emissions and fuel economy, but that's WAY too much knock for me.

If I'm misunderstanding this, I'd love to learn some more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #6205
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
can you help me understand what I an looking at here???

also which is which map?
Just to help people understand how the knock control works (this is in relation to feedback correction , not really course or fine learning),.... when the ecu senses a level of activity on the knock sensor that it considers knock (goes through filters etc) it will start to pull timing. it pulls 1 degree then listens if it still thinks i hears knock it pulls another degree and so on. -1's will happen from time to time. I saw it happen yesterday while testing my pump gas map... i hit a seam in the pavement and it immediately flashed a -1. and it imediatly went back to zero. When i looked at the logs latter, the learned value never changed. I believe it was because the crank angle the event occured was outside of the range defined for real knock, but that not the point here.

The point is you will see -1 from time to time, and it is not much to worry about. When you greater than -1 that is when you need to investigate. -3 or -4 indicates the ecu had to keep puling timing to get the event under control and it was almost certainly detonation from what i have seen.

Also, when the IAM works it's way down the ecu is continuing to detect what it believes is detonation and it is NOT a fluke. the subaru knock control strategy has been explained many times so I'm not going to try and recite it all.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #6206
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
I just got Visconti's latest tune (1.14b5) update. I'll hopefully flash it in today and compare that to William's. Until now the latest tune I had from Visconti was 1.14.

Looks good. It looks like your DeliciousTuning tune is super conservative with the Knock Learn Value going as high as +8 degrees.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #6207
mad_sb

Quote:
The top is Visconti's latest tune, the bottom is Delicious's latest. You can see across the top of each log the tune file information is listed.

On each may you can see the Advance Multiplier, Knock Correction, and Knock Correction Learn value.

Once again, I'll let Bruce handle the explaination. @mad_sb

From what I understand the advance multiplier dropping repeatedly and the negative numbers in the knock correction is the biggest concern. The fact that the AM dropped all the way to .54 after only a short drive, and this was all closed loop, part throttle driving, I was scared to try going WOT. I know modern engines run very near knock at part throttle for emissions and fuel economy, but that's WAY too much knock for me.

If I'm misunderstanding this, I'd love to learn some more.
I do want to amend my previous comments on AFR. After more recent testing and talking some other tuners, these motors due like richer mixtures than typical NA motors, thanks to the 12.5:1 compression. Targeting 12.0 - 12.5 on the factory sensor is perfectly fine and will allow you to run a little more timing and get closer to MBT.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #6208
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

William @DeliciousTuning is the man.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #6209
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
William @DeliciousTuning is the man.
looks like he changed the FBKC step value a little bit I did that as well to help pinpoint when the various corrections are in play. :happy0180:
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #6210
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
looks like he changed the FBKC step value a little bit I did that as well to help pinpoint when the various corrections are in play. :happy0180:
Nice spot. You have a very keen eye and a very clear understanding of the ECU. I would like to applaud you sir.

This technique has come in quite handy on some serious tunes as one might expect, such as Ken Block's Gymkhana 1. Man did Ken beat the living crap out of that car. Literally donuts for nearly a minute (around the segway) and off the rev limiter too boot.

Cheers,
William Knose
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #6211
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Looks good. It looks like your DeliciousTuning tune is super conservative with the Knock Learn Value going as high as +8 degrees.
It starts off pretty gut less, but a few miles and everything is awesome. I sent the log to William and told him about the differences I'm feeling. But to be honest, I wouldn't mind at all if he doesn't change anything. The safety factor is NOT a bad thing at all. I was meaning to take the car over to a buddies shop to put it on the dyno to compare the tunes, but after seeing that much knock I'm not putting that back into my ECU.

For the reference Visconti hasn't been sent a log to try to clean that up. I wanted to try the B5 (which looks remarkably like BS, just sayin') tune to see if it made any difference, to give him one last chance. Peace out John.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
448hpsti (09-16-2013), JPxM0Dz (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #6212
blubrz

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What octane are you using?
*Best way I can ask without sounding condescending.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #6213
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrz View Post
What octane are you using?
*Best way I can ask without sounding condescending.
I'm guessing you mean me. The highest we have available, 91 octane. Why would that be condescending? Unless you thought I was using regular or something?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #6214
blubrz

Quote:
I'm guessing you mean me. The highest we have available, 91 octane. Why would that be condescending? Unless you thought I was using regular or something?
Yes, I mean you.
Yes, I thought it a possibility you were using regular...or something (local gas station lying to you).

While I loath the man and his service, I just don't see my data-logs doing that at all. Although, I do have the FI tune which is an "entirely different tune" as he would remind me. Just seems that if it were over aggressive it would be amplified under pressure... and being mapped for 93 octane as it is.

Perhaps you could save me the trouble of going back though thousands of posts and answer me this: are there many others with logs like this?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #6215
Bleevin

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Quote:
Would you say that there may not be as much knock correction if I was using 94 octane Chevron gas?

Last edited by Bleevin; 09-16-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Wrong octane number.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #6216
blubrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleevin View Post
Would you say that there may not be as much knock correction if I was using 93 octane Chevron gas?
I'd suggest changing gas stations first and leaving the octane the same.

Closed Thread