follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #575
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...ger-technology

It would have to be set-up like this.

A compressor wheel and a turbine wheel have completely different fluid dynamics.
Are you an EE?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #576
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
tune updates?
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #577
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
WELL WELL WELL - I am simply exstatic about the results tonight. Toma tuned us up nice, didnt invest too much time in it and he still wants to play around with it more.

We got it working at 2500 RPM no problem and this thing is a TORQUE monster, it just rockets away. The top end feels soooooooo good now too, its just buttery smooth and pulls hard all the way to redline.

The AFR's are much better as well. It doesnt go quiet as rich up top as it did with the stock tune. I cant wait to get some more video's up for you guys in the coming days.

We did another pull after this with a extra little battery pack that Rob rigged up and made ALMOST 210hp but we arent posting that dyno as that will probably be considered a power adder or something like that.

Rob didnt want to artifically inflate the numbers for you guys, he is straight shooter and Toma is a Tuning master!!

Without further ado, our preliminary tune results!!!!

fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-05-2013), Calum (07-05-2013), CBR600RR (07-05-2013), cobrabyte (07-05-2013), DAEMANO (07-05-2013), Fish Eagle (07-05-2013), Gixxersixxerman (07-05-2013), nonicname (07-05-2013), slates74 (07-05-2013), SloS14 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #578
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
That's not a tune btw. Lol. That was quick and dirty couple hours type thing. This this thing presents some very unique airflow.... would like to spend more time on it. May not make more power, but there are a couple things that are making me scratch my head lol.

Glad it feels good. It was fun!
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toma For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-05-2013), fenton (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #579
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Garage
Wow. You guys inverted the torque dip with a hairdryer! :-D

This is REALLY interesting!
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atledreier For This Useful Post:
fenton (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #580
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post

You probably wouldn't have a face or any hair left if you tried to blowdry your hair with this thing! LOL
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #581
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Garage
Yeah, I was stabbing at the doupters!
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #582
Baker

Drives: Orange gt manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re Electrocharger

I have been following this for some time now and think its a great idea. @fenton what current draw is the Dc to Dc voltage convertor drawing.

Cause even when ur WOT ur system charges at full capacity. General rule of thumb is for every 10Amp u draw its 1Hp so if ur drawing 100 Amp at 12V its equivalent of 10HP. Be interested to see how much ur taking from the engine.

The 130 Amp alternator is at 14.4v so its max charge capacity is "1872"Watts

Also what type of batteries are you using? u will have to be careful that ur not charging them to quickly.

Here is a system i would build if i had the money and time.

Just putting it out there that there are other options as well i have found an alternator that charges at 191amp at 56V "thats to charge a 48 volt system" thats 10696Watts of power, If i was building a kit from scratch i would have that running so that it would switch on only for deceleration charging, while under breaks ( more like a regenerative hybrid) it draws almost 25hp

Id use a Switched Reluctance motor driving the system, they have no brushes and are driven off pulsed width modulation. They have better torque, no magnets, cheaper to produce, and low inertia due to there simple design. Faster spooling time than brushless and more ability to control the rpm at great response to change.

the batteries i would use are the one someone posted earlier on here http://www.shoraipower.com/Products/...18L1-BS12.html
They are 18A/H and can be charged at 18AMPS safely probably twice that with shorting the life span and only weighs 2.31 lbs each

That would give u charging rate of 36Amp at 56volt so the excessive sized alternator would be over kill

If you were to draw 8000W 8Kw Motor at 48V it would take 166.6AMP to drive. those Batteries are capable of 270CCA

18A/H Divide by 166.6Amp = "0.109 of an hour before it ran flat" so 60Min X 0.109= 6.54Min Run time with no Charging. you could double the batteries for extra capacity and charge time without adding to much weight.

Im extremely interested in this idea as u might tell. with the introduction of some supper capacitors for charging purposes the proposal i put forward would be some what feasible for short term track use.

With other news headlines i have read lately like New battery scientists have designed a new Lithium ion battery that holds 2000X capacity and can charge 1000 times quicker. A battery that can Hold higher power density than a Super capacitor and last longer than anything ever know to the battery world.

This is the technology this is the way of FI in the future. U seen it here first
ATL BRZ (07-05-2013), Calum (07-05-2013), DAEMANO (07-05-2013), fenton (07-05-2013), SloS14 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #583
Dodzilla

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Looking great! Did you log IAT at all? I wonder how hot it gets at these boost levels.
Dodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #584
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I have been following this for some time now and think its a great idea. @fenton what current draw is the Dc to Dc voltage convertor drawing.

Cause even when ur WOT ur system charges at full capacity. General rule of thumb is for every 10Amp u draw its 1Hp so if ur drawing 100 Amp at 12V its equivalent of 10HP. Be interested to see how much ur taking from the engine.

Also what type of batteries are you using? u will have to be careful that ur not charging them to quickly.

Just putting it out there that there are other options as well i have found an alternator that charges at 191amp at 56V "thats to charge a 48 volt system" thats 10696Watts of power, If i was building a kit from scratch i would have that running so that it would switch on only for deceleration charging, while under breaks ( more like a regenerative hybrid) it draws almost 25hp

Id use a Switched Reluctance motor driving the system, they have no brushes and are driven off pulsed width modulation. They have better torque, no magnets, cheaper to produce, and low inertia due to there simple design. Faster spooling time than brushless and more ability to control the rpm at great response to change.

the batteries i would use are the one someone posted earlier on here http://www.shoraipower.com/Products/...18L1-BS12.html
They are 18A/H and can be charged at 18AMPS safely probably twice that with shorting the life span and only weighs 2.31 lbs each

That would give u charging rate of 36Amp at 56volt so the excessive sized alternator would be over kill

If you were to draw 8000W 8Kw Motor at 48V it would take 166.6AMP to drive. those Batteries are capable of 270CCA

18A/H Divide by 166.6Amp = "0.109 of an hour before it ran flat" so 60Min X 0.109= 6.54Min Run time with no Charging. you could double the batteries for extra capacity and charge time without adding to much weight.

Im extremely interested in this idea as u might tell. with the introduction of some supper capacitors for charging purposes the proposal i put forward would be some what feasible for short term track use.

With other news headlines i have read lately like New battery scientists have designed a new Lithium ion battery that holds 2000X capacity and can charge 1000 times quicker. A battery that can Hold higher power density than a Super capacitor and last longer than anything ever know to the battery world.

This is the technology this is the way of FI in the future. U seen it here first
Any idea of the cost?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #585
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

i personally cant wait till graphene hypercapacitors, in theory you could charge an all electric vehicle in 2 minutes or less for 800 miles of operation... but thats what... 30 years from now tech?

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #586
Baker

Drives: Orange gt manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
i personally cant wait till graphene hypercapacitors, in theory you could charge an all electric vehicle in 2 minutes or less for 800 miles of operation... but thats what... 30 years from now tech?
I was reading about a young girl that has created a new super-cap that can hold more power than a li ion battery and is under development. this shit is happening it wont be long. there are some big things happening now these new super caps are in the works, the new li ion batteries are on the move. The demand for alternative power source is high atm and is driving the market toward projects like this, electric vehicles smaller less fuel demanding cars.

http://hothardware.com/News/Californ...In-20-Seconds/

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/20/tech/whiz-kid

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...0-times-faster

Changes are coming
@Calum
I have no idea i was just looking around batterys would be around the $500-600
no idea what a compressor would be worth couldn't be much, im thinking of getting a quote on a Switched Reluctance Motor,

http://www.chargedevs.com/content/fe...uctance-motors

The hardest thing is the controller I'm learning online about the electronics the SR motor is hard to program and even make it move is a mission but I'm almost considering making something up.

I think a custom 8kw motor that is capable of 75000rpm should do it. Id estimate that with 8kw and a higher rpm with full adjustability of the motor being a SR Drive would be able to crack the 250hp mark. off the stats these guys have provided

I should stop cluttering the thread lol
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #587
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker
If those batteries were commercially available one should replace the entire engine, gearbox, clutch, exhaust, radiator, rear brakes etc. with a more powerful, simpler and lighter electric motor with lower operating and maintenance costs and better torque control:
http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/technology/motor
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #588
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post

It points to the stock intake manifold being a culprit to the torque dip.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive