follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #43
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
My best description of how the car felt when I drove it can be summed up this way: It is the 4 seat Miata we all have wanted, but better.

It really does everything a sports car should do, quite well. The gearbox is the same as the Miata and RX-8, but feels better. The suspension is firmer and planted, with less roll than a Miata, but the ride is not harsh or jarring. The low centre of gravity really makes this car feel stable and communicates everything back to you. Steering is great and precise. The engine has a good amount of power and nice torque. I dropped it into a higher gear (3rd I think) and at 1500 it was able to pull up into the normal range without lugging.

The RX-8 has a superb chassis and was easily the best handling car I have driven to date. From my 10 min test drive, I think we have a new winner.
I agree with almost everything slick said. I've driven all the same cars he has and he's spot on in his comparisons. On my 10 minutes test I looked for big potholes and poor concrete work. I drove over some very poor quality road and the suspension soaked it up better than some BMWs I've driven and WAY better than my G35. I still prefer the NA miata gearbox but only by a hair. The gearbox in the FRS is bloody brilliant, instantly reminded me of the RX8, Miata and S2000. Rumor has it that they used the Aisin AZ6 transmission which is the same one as the cars above.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #44
R8
Spinning Triangles

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
The RX-8 has a superb chassis and was easily the best handling car I have driven to date. From my 10 min test drive, I think we have a new winner.
Anything in particular that stood out versus the RX-8?
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #45
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The RX-8 is very smooth and precise, not twitchy like a Miata can be, especially on the track. The biggest difference I saw between the Miata and the RX-8 was how well the 8 took high speeds turns. The chassis is so solid, but the longer wheelbase over the Miata makes it more stable at higher speeds. At low speeds or autocross, the Miata is more tossable, but on a road course the RX-8 wins.

The FR-S feels very nimble like the Miata is, and everything you do is instant. Great road feel.
On a road course, I think the FR-S will feel like a combination of the two, best of both.

Over the RX-8, there are a few things:

- Sitting much lower, your butt is on the floor so lots of clearance in the cabin (I had to adjust my seating position with a helmet on)
- At first the FR-S, doesn't look that small from the outside. But getting inside, it makes you feel like you are sitting in a go-cart. Still lots of room, but your perspective changes from sitting so low in the car that it feels small.
- I didn't have a chance to measure fuel consumption, but anything can beat the RX-8 there.
- Seats are great, firm and supportive. RX-8 seats are softer with less bolstering even though they feel nice.
- Wayyyyy less room in the back. As far as 4 seats sports cars go, RX-8 had tons of room, my Genesis has much less, and FR-S is smaller yet. Small kids ideally, but you could take grownups for lunch in a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
Anything in particular that stood out versus the RX-8?
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
R8
Spinning Triangles

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Sitting much lower, your butt is on the floor...
LOL oh no, even lower than the 8? Getting in and out of the 8 is such a gymnastics exercise as it is, you kinda just "fall" into it rather than sit. And there is just NO way to retain any sense of modesty when getting out (as a female) lol...

But the price we pay for fun handling cars I guess

Thanks for the comparison!
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #47
KingGeo

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
yeah its a long way down (and up) for taller people for sure. but its not bad at all.
i have knee problems, why i need long leg room, so getting out was tricky but nothing i could not get used to and learn a good method.
KingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #48
pastuch

1 at fault accident 2 years ago. No tickets, no points, garaged at night, 30 year old male. 10000km per year. 1000 deductible on comp and liability.

Desjardins: Price per year

FRS: $1547 = $129 per month
BRZ: $1442 = $120 per month

Edit: Waiting on quotes from Coseco (Part of Cooperators Group).
Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #49
KingGeo

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
1 at fault accident 2 years ago. No tickets, no points, garaged at night, 30 year old male. 10000km per year. 1000 deductible on comp and liability.

interesting... wonder why the higher end/more expensive car is less.
i would think this is very close to what mine should be other then i have no at faults.
KingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #50
pastuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGeo View Post
interesting... wonder why the higher end/more expensive car is less.
i would think this is very close to what mine should be other then i have no at faults.
Don't start asking questions like that in Ontario. It costs more to insure a Civic SI than a Porsche 911 in Ontario (For males under 25). This province is fucked.

Heres the numbers I got 6 months ago: Note the Corvette costs the same to insure as a Civic SI.

30 year old Male, no tickets, 1 fender-bender 1 year ago, $1000 Deductible
All cars are 2011s:
Genesis Coupe 2.0T $1300
Mustang V6: $1366
Volks GTI 2dr Hatch: $1398
BMW M3 Coupe: $1475
Mustang GT: $1518
Altima 3.5S: $1526
Honda Civic SI: $1528
Corvette: $1538
Subaru WRX 5 Door: $1583
Porsche 911: $2333
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #51
lxsedan

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey pastuch which companies were you able to get a quote for with FRS/BRZ already?
lxsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #52
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
"Hey pastuch which companies were you able to get a quote for with FRS/BRZ already?"

Quote:

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #53
ramification

Drives: Scion FR-S 6MT on order
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello everybody. I've been stalking these forums for months now but never bothered registering (to any forum before this either actually) but when I saw how many people there were from Ottawa participating I felt guilty not joining. I have a Firestorm (although I change my mind every hour on the colour I want as they all look so good) 6MT on order (also a BRZ Sport Tech but I am majorily leaning towards the Scion for various reasons).

What do you guys think of the Bongiovi Acoustic DPS upgrade that shows up on the Build & Price on the scion.ca site?
ramification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #54
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramification View Post
What do you guys think of the Bongiovi Acoustic DPS upgrade that shows up on the Build & Price on the scion.ca site?
Welcome to the forum - and nice catch on the DPS upgrade, that was not there a few days ago. I was thinking of adding it to my car as well (if I stay with the FR-S, which will depend on the insurance quote versus BRZ). Re the DPS: have you checked the electronics subforum? Also try a google search.

Edit: Here is a link to one review at a Toyota forum, it links to other comments. Overall a really mixed bag. Seems for an audiophile type like myself it may not be a good idea. And Google turned up nothing else which suggests this thing blows - sites tend not to review products that are truly bad.

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 05-11-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #55
lxsedan

Quote:
"Hey pastuch which companies were you able to get a quote for with FRS/BRZ already?"
LOL damn i'm blind, my bad
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #56
lxsedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramification View Post
Hello everybody. I've been stalking these forums for months now but never bothered registering (to any forum before this either actually) but when I saw how many people there were from Ottawa participating I felt guilty not joining. I have a Firestorm (although I change my mind every hour on the colour I want as they all look so good) 6MT on order (also a BRZ Sport Tech but I am majorily leaning towards the Scion for various reasons).

Hey ramification where do you have the sport tech on order? Bump you out of my way so i'm higher on the list hahahaha:happy0180: