follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #43
GotBoost?

Drives: 2007 OBP STI (SOLD)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Granted I have never swapped cams out in a 4cyl (only done it on an LS1) but depending on how aggressive you go on an LS1 you can see 20-60HP gains easily. So you will have to excuse me if I don't understand how you can only expect a 15hp gain from cam's and an exhaust.

Also a quick google search tells me that in a 2.5RS with an aggressive cam you can see an increase of around 50whp in a bolt on car. Throw in some heads with that and your looking at around 80whp.

Your also not even considering tuning the motor.
GotBoost? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #44
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Won't happen.
Correct
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #45
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBoost? View Post
Granted I have never swapped cams out in a 4cyl (only done it on an LS1) but depending on how aggressive you go on an LS1 you can see 20-60HP gains easily. So you will have to excuse me if I don't understand how you can only expect a 15hp gain from cam's and an exhaust.

Also a quick google search tells me that in a 2.5RS with an aggressive cam you can see an increase of around 50whp in a bolt on car. Throw in some heads with that and your looking at around 80whp.

LS1 has 3 times the displacement, divide 60 by 3 and you are in the ballpark I mentioned. I don't think you add it up that way, in the 2.5RS example ( I may be wrong...). To be able to use the aggressive cams you need to be able to flow enough air anyways. Very aggressive cams can also hurt fuel economy, low speed performance, idle, etc. pretty bad.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #46
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

A 4 banger with room to rev stock has more potential. VVT makes a bigger difference since they are already low on torque and gearing makes a big difference in actual performance.

I would go with what the pros are saying on N/A vs FI, anything past boltons and FI makes far more sense per dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #47
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
12.5:1 static CR with good DI is not a real problem if you want light boost. A quick calculation tells me that with 93 octane, 10PSIg boost would be plausible for a tuned-to-the-edge-but-still-reliable setup, assuming IAT's are kept rational and the knock control as as good as anything from the past 10 model years.

That said, just because the combustion chamber might be able to handle the BMEP, doesn't meant the piston lands, wrist pins, con-rods, crank, bearings, block, head gasket, or cylinder head can handle the increase in BMEP. There is always a fuse, a weak-link, and it'll take testing, measurement, and trial-and-error to determine what's the weak links are to reliably achieve the power level you're interested in.

Since most tuners have minimal real experience with DI tuning, there will either be an influx of amateur engineering experiments flooding the market, or there will be a slow ramp-up by competent tuners that take the time to do things right [which is rare, especially with an affordable car]. By all means, buyer beware!
Well said, and spot on.

And exactly why I am hoping TRD offers a plug and play option sooner than later.

Instead we get three sets of wheel options.

Sigh.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #48
GotBoost?

Drives: 2007 OBP STI (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
A 4 banger with room to rev stock has more potential. VVT makes a bigger difference since they are already low on torque and gearing makes a big difference in actual performance.

I would go with what the pros are saying on N/A vs FI, anything past boltons and FI makes far more sense per dollar.
The only real question is what can the engine handle.
GotBoost? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #49
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Granted it depends on the block and internals, but it is entirely possible. Throw a really aggressive heads/cam set up on it, plus your headers,intake manifold, throttle body, and other basic bolt on's. I fail to see why you think that its not possible to milk another 60-80 hp out of it.

I'm pretty confident that its a very conservatively tuned motor like most factory production cars.

I've also seen far more aggressive power gains from NA motors, for instance a 99 Formula with a heads/cam/intake/headers pushing 440 whp (305 is stock at crank).

Why do you find it unreasonable to put 280 out of a FR-S / BRZ
This is a strung out Subaru motor. The highest power EVER from a normally aspirated 4-cylinder Subaru motor from the factory.

People have tried, and failed, to get to 250+ N/A power with previous N/A Subaru 4-cylinders. The only one I've ever seen was a completely redesigned block on a pure race car in Japan that got 280ps, but probably cost $30,000 just to design and build.

Can you get another 20hp with this motor? Probably pretty easily with bolt ons (intake/exhaust) and a tune. 30hp? Maybe with better fuel. Cams? Probably not more than 5-10hp more. More compression? Maybe another 10-15. Slightly more displacement? Couple more. Custom fancy intake parts that don't exist yet? No idea.

Unless that DI is capable of some serious magic, I don't see any way right now to get 50-60hp MORE out of this motor.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #50
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
FB25 block is the only way you'll get near 280hp NA.

May as well go with a 400hp unstressed EJ.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #51
Allch Chcar

Quote:
This is a strung out Subaru motor. The highest power EVER from a normally aspirated 4-cylinder Subaru motor from the factory.

People have tried, and failed, to get to 250+ N/A power with previous N/A Subaru 4-cylinders. The only one I've ever seen was a completely redesigned block on a pure race car in Japan that got 280ps, but probably cost $30,000 just to design and build.

Can you get another 20hp with this motor? Probably pretty easily with bolt ons (intake/exhaust) and a tune. 30hp? Maybe with better fuel. Cams? Probably not more than 5-10hp more. More compression? Maybe another 10-15. Slightly more displacement? Couple more. Custom fancy intake parts that don't exist yet? No idea.

Unless that DI is capable of some serious magic, I don't see any way right now to get 50-60hp MORE out of this motor.
I'm trying to find the 300HP EJ25 I read about on NASIOC. It had maybe $10k in work, which is par for a N/A build.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #52
Kostamojen

Nobody has done 300hp, lots of people have talked about it and nobody has been anywhere close.

Is this the thread you were looking for?

forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125165

This is the car I mentioned with the nutty build for a racecar in Japan:

Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #53
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Nobody has done 300hp, lots of people have talked about it and nobody has been anywhere close.

Is this the thread you were looking for?

forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125165

This is the car I mentioned with the nutty build for a racecar in Japan:

290PS, still very respectable for a N/A EJ20. And plenty past what the other guys are talking about. It is possible with the displacement. Honda K20 guys do it, and Mazda MZR 2.0L have done 300HP. And this engine starts at 200PS @ 7000RPM, stock.

Stock engines are usually heavily choked. It doesn't matter that it is the highest N/A output, they have to meet strict emissions and there is always room for improvement. The question remains how much. But I am optimistic that there is room just in a 93 octane tune.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #54
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
I'm just looking at this: http://www.drivingsports.com/site/20...v-first-drive/

and they said Mazda changed the compression ratio for the US? Think that'll happen?
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #55
Kostamojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
290PS, still very respectable for a N/A EJ20. And plenty past what the other guys are talking about. It is possible with the displacement. Honda K20 guys do it, and Mazda MZR 2.0L have done 300HP. And this engine starts at 200PS @ 7000RPM, stock.
I had a photo of that engine a long time ago, I think it was in a tuner mag from Japan circa '99 or '00...

It doesn't resemble the original motor at all. Custom built from scratch heads, ITB's, extra injectors all over the place, carbon fiber intake ducts, the works...

Its VERY respectable, but replicating that motor is not possible unless you can find the original one, and certainly not possible to replicate those numbers with a stock block or even a modified stock block.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #56
Kostamojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy51 View Post
I'm just looking at this: http://www.drivingsports.com/site/20...v-first-drive/

and they said Mazda changed the compression ratio for the US? Think that'll happen?
12.5 should be fine for the U.S., but remember we have crappy gas quality compared to the rest of the world so they might have to de-tune it slightly for us (although I'm fairly certain they designed this as a "World Car").