follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #43
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fun but Really Slow

ha ha... that's a great laugh, but true.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #44
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What a stupid fuckin thread. GTFO. My last car was a 370z. The FRS shits all over this car. Even in an automatic, the damn car just pulls and pulls. I have not thougt about my 370 once since I traded it in.

I can't believe someone would start an account here and spew so much garbage. Get a life stop trolling. Your opinion is shit.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #45
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
Not to mention that the car is poorly designed and built. I have 3 friends who have owned 350s and 370s, and they all would never consider buying one again. Numerous complaints of rattles and poor build quality, as well as the horrible transmission and the fact that they all burnt a ton of oil, regularly.
I had a chance to get a 2012 sport package 370z two months ago. This after owning. 2009 Z. I thought about it for one hour. That's all I needed. 3 years was enough. It rattles, it was heavy. My experience with it was it was over rated in handling. I had fun with it, it's fast as hell, but I was over the Z. Like I said, I haven't missed it once.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #46
Skyhound

Drives: Jaguar X-Type
How is this car slow? Sure it's not much in a straight line, but it stands on equal footing with cars that have double the horsepower on a track. The best examples that come to mind is the BRZ vs Mustang video and the one member here who able to pass a BMW Z series, CTS-V, and chase a Corvette; all of them being full track cars while the FR-S was completely stock.

Though considering this person's car track record, I doubt he has any track experience or any intention of going to a track and is strictly a red light dragster. So I guess the FR-S's talents are lost on him.
Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #47
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I personally don't need a +300 HP vehicle, kind of glad because of the $$ on gas.
I also am surprised how I don't feel a huge need to hammer the gas on this vehicle - lower chance of tickets, sure!
I love the vehicle, its great.
Just wish they worked more on the steering ...
Power will be dealt with aftermarkets!
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #48
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You do realize you drove an auto right? Why does everyone drive an auto FRS and then come here and say how slow it is? The autos are about 2 seconds slower than the manuals. Im not saying this car is a power house, but from what im reading, there seems to be a big difference between the two...
Opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #49
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
For the money of a brand new FRS I would recommend getting a used 370Z ANY DAY there is nothing this car does better than the nissan specially at the track and the 370z does come with balls.
at 18 MPG? fu@# that
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #50
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
I'm having a GTI too and drove my friend's FRS occasionally. I agree GTI feels faster. But on the track, FRS can do quicker lap times. What's more, it's an FR~ that means a lot. If I'm on the market to buy a car. I'll go definitely with FRS/BRZ. But I think I'll keep my GTI for some longer.
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #51
Thunderchicken

Drives: 2008 STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
at 18 MPG? fu@# that
That's not any better than my STi...
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #52
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Haha subatoy sounds just like the guys on the liter bikes I blow by on the track on the 250r. But seriously though not everyone is going to like it. I am certainly gonna be pleased once I get my hands on one of these cars, dammit someone hire me already lol my dealer is getting 20 BRZs over a few months (definitely shocked by that).

I looked at the GTI a year ago and drove it. I thought it was great but it was definitely in need of a lot of suspension tuning among other things. The FR-S/BRZ are much better driving machines, FR is just one of the things that boosts it to the top of my list. The engineering, time, and innovations in this car sell me. Sitting in it I felt I was in a driving machine.

Last edited by 00NissanNinja; 07-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #53
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Let's make this simple:

Quote:
For the money of a brand new FRS I would recommend getting a used 370Z ANY DAY
So you'd recommend get a used car with NO warranty with questionable quality control issues(as stated by many on this AND on Z forums), over a new car with full warranty for the same money.

I'm gonna say logic fail. But then again, that's just my opinion, of which I too am entitled to!
Past-'89 Civic Si ('93-'99)-'94 Civic Si ('99-'07)-'07 GTI(Lease)('07-'10)'98 Acura EL ('03-'13)Current-'12 Honda Fit Sport'10 Mazda5 ('10- Family car)No FR-S for me Kids in car seats still and just wouldn't work in an FR-S especially in winter.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moniz For This Useful Post:
russv (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #54
Double4Free
Ashes to ashes.

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Relax people. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I bought my FR-S and love it, he drove one and he doesn't. Different strokes for different folks.
Double4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Double4Free For This Useful Post:
Imti (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #55
luscious

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bet he drove the auto while NOT in sport mode.

big, big difference...

I think the 370Z weighs in at close to 3300 lbs..I personally am tired of porky cars. The Camaro and Mustang V6 are the worst offenders here.
luscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #56
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Drives: 2013 Firestorm GT86 A/T
Quote:
I'm gonna start by saying that I've owned a Integra GS-R, 06 WRX, 370Z and now and 2011 GTI...(yes I change cars often)
so my next target was the FRS/BRZ so after 3 years following this car and reading so many great reviews I finally got to test drive an FRS.

sadly it was an automatic but at least I got to compare the transmission to my DSG on the GTI.

first thing was that the seats are great! maybe better than my GTI's (autobahn package) and that's a lot to say.
the engine doesn't sound ANYTHING like the typical boxer engine in my WRX which i think is sad but I'm sure it's due to the equal length headers.

The suspension is very nice, firm but not harsh which feels just like the 370Z. The steering wheel response is great, just like that on the 370z.

The tires on that car are meant to slide! you can easily spin the tires even without trying so I'm sure this car would be a lot of fun when drifting around the track.

The tranmission is surprisingly similar to the DSG on my GTI, for a few momments there I forgot I wasn't driving my car so that's plus.
I still think that buying this car with an auto tranny is a SIN and you should be ashamed for buying such car.

now the bad part is that the car has NO BALLS what so ever, my completely stock Integra GSR felt faster than that car.
I wasn't expecting any power out of the FRS but I wasn't expecting it
to feel that underwhelming.

conclusion for me is that I'm keeping my GTI. I'm sure the FRS is a great track car but I don't think you'll get much fun out on the real world without driving wrecklessly (fast turns and stuff).

Eventhough the GTI and this car have the same power the GTI feels 10X faster (thanks to the torque given by the turbo).
I've learn that I prefer a car that feel faster than one that IS faster but feels slower.

For the money of a brand new FRS I would recommend getting a used 370Z ANY DAY there is nothing this car does better than the nissan specially at the track and the 370z does come with balls.

So this is my totally subjective opinion and I honestly don't care if anyone agrees or not. I just thought it would be nice review based on my experience living with all the other cars that in some way or another relate to this car.
A friend of mine owned 370z but he has moved on from there (college fees is a b!tch I heard). I'd had asked him to drive the FR-S and give me his opinion on the difference between the two cars. Which obviously, he'd had cited just like yourself, I'm assuming now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this car.

:happy0180:

UAE - Lightning Red Mid-Spec - Delivered 25th July'12 > IT'S HERE <
Imti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lol