follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #43
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
This isn't a Ferrari, it's a Toyota/Subaru, and mostly the latter. It needs just as much attention as any other car. You CAN change oil every 4k, but you don't really need to under normal street circumstances. And changing the oil regularly does not mean a lot of attention. Brake pads last damn near forever, coolant is a 100k fill, and plugs go to 60k or 100k depending on the literature you read. Really a pretty easy car to maintain.

And magnetic drain plug for engine oil??? That's what the filter is for. You only need one when there is no filter.
lol. Explains why most people who get magnetic drain plugs find metal shaving on them each oil change. They also make magnets you put around the oil filter. These motors literally eat themselves over time. do some research.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #44
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,486 Times in 6,179 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
lol. Explains why most people who get magnetic drain plugs find metal shaving on them each oil change. They also make magnets you put around the oil filter. These motors literally eat themselves over time. do some research.
You do know how the oiling system works right? Oil collects in the crankcase, gets pumped through the filter, then to all the bits that need oil. Unless your filter is so clogged that the bypass is open any shavings of consequence will be collected by the filter and held there. The only reason to have a magnetic drain plug is to see if any large chunks are coming out of the engine and if that happens, you are already F-ed. Also, magnets only capture ferrous metal. How do you suppose non-ferrous stuff gets filtered out?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (05-01-2018), navanodd (05-03-2018), strat61caster (05-01-2018), Tcoat (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #45
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,621 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
You do know how the oiling system works right? Oil collects in the crankcase, gets pumped through the filter, then to all the bits that need oil. Unless your filter is so clogged that the bypass is open any shavings of consequence will be collected by the filter and held there. The only reason to have a magnetic drain plug is to see if any large chunks are coming out of the engine and if that happens, you are already F-ed. Also, magnets only capture ferrous metal. How do you suppose non-ferrous stuff gets filtered out?
Man, GTFOutta here with your *ahem* FACTS. This is not the place.

What do ferrets have to do with engines anyhow?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #46
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,486 Times in 6,179 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Man, GTFOutta here with your *ahem* FACTS. This is not the place.

What do ferrets have to do with engines anyhow?
Gotta use a magnet to ferret out those bits!
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
DandoX (05-02-2018), monkeybike (05-02-2018), Tcoat (05-02-2018), Ultramaroon (05-01-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #47
PacManTheRS1.0

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
Nice Mustang. In terms of reliability what was your experience with the GT?
I owned the mustang from 32,000 miles to 78,000. I never had a single issue other than having to replace some A/C things (AC actuator replaced). It was bulletproof even with some minor mods and the 93 octane tune I had on it. I'm hoping the FRS will be the same with its Japanese history

Last edited by PacManTheRS1.0; 05-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
PacManTheRS1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #48
BigHugeFatGuy

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Ugh, I'm jealous. Great ride! I'm only in my car because of an RS1.0. I needed a loaner car from the dealership, jokingly asked for an 86, and they pulled an RS1.0 around. It took all of a minute before I realized I had made an expensive mistake because I wanted it. I asked it I could buy it, but it was a flood car and they would lose their ass selling it.
Ended up getting a '16, but I've made it an homage car with TRD springs & sway bars, and the intake & exhaust later this year. Possibly the kit down the road.
BigHugeFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigHugeFatGuy For This Useful Post:
PacManTheRS1.0 (05-03-2018), Tcoat (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #49
PacManTheRS1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHugeFatGuy View Post
Ugh, I'm jealous. Great ride! I'm only in my car because of an RS1.0. I needed a loaner car from the dealership, jokingly asked for an 86, and they pulled an RS1.0 around. It took all of a minute before I realized I had made an expensive mistake because I wanted it. I asked it I could buy it, but it was a flood car and they would lose their ass selling it.
Ended up getting a '16, but I've made it an homage car with TRD springs & sway bars, and the intake & exhaust later this year. Possibly the kit down the road.
Thats awesome man! Ironically I looked for a red 2016 auto with low miles for about two months and just couldnt find one close enough or that hadnt been wrecked. So I ended up with a manual yellow car that im sure I’ll love just as much
Tcoat (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #50
mattyice

Drives: FRS RS1
Hello and welcome! Nice car, I own an RS1 too, as well as an 04 Mustang GT..love both cars. As for what mods to do...IMO, wheels and tires only for external mods, engine mods do whatever you want. Just please don't swap the Scion badges for Toyota ones, keep it original.

Also, get some Motul oil, it's the best full syn oil you can get.

Last edited by mattyice; 05-03-2018 at 09:39 PM.
mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattyice For This Useful Post:
PacManTheRS1.0 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #51
mattyice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManTheRS1.0 View Post
Thats awesome man! Ironically I looked for a red 2016 auto with low miles for about two months and just couldnt find one close enough or that hadnt been wrecked. So I ended up with a manual yellow car that im sure I’ll love just as much
You made a good choice and are going to have more fun with the manual. You can find auto RS1 online pretty easily, but the manual RS1 is getting tough to find in the used market.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #52
PacManTheRS1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
Hello and welcome! Nice car, I own an RS1 too, as well as an 04 Mustang GT..love both cars. As for what mods to do...IMO, wheels and tires only for external mods, engine mods do whatever you want. Just please don't swap the Scion badges for Toyota ones, keep it original.

Also, get some Motul oil, it's the best full syn oil you can get.
Yeah I definitely want to get some wider tires and maybe spacers as I already love the way the car looks. I'll be keeping the Scion badges on just because I want it to be as stock as possible for good resale when the time does eventually come. I'll look into Motul, thanks for the suggestion.

Does your RS1 also happen to be manual?
mattyice (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #53
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I drive 2015 FRS, manual, purchased new, now about 3.5 years old.

Currently almost 55,000 miles on the car.

I got the three free oil changes, then additional ones done by me at home. I use a factory (Subaru or Toyota) oil filter and oil from Walmart...0W20 Mobil one. Change oil averaging every 7500 miles.

Zero real problems with this car. Any issues you think you have are already explained in these forums, so no need to fix things which are just normal....like crickets, window squeaks going up and down sometimes, slight noise when pushing clutch pedal in (from bell housing area), slight noise trying to get into second gear when trans is cold, etc.

I've done nothing other than those oil and filter, changes, and also new tires at 48,000 miles, new wiper refills once.

Most reliable car I've ever owned and I've owned over 60 cars in my lifetime.

I recommend doing minimal maintenance, let the next owner do more, save your money.

I may change spark plugs at 60,000 miles, not sure yet (as some in these forums wait longer). I have no intention of ever changing fluids in trans or diff, let the next guy do that.

Suggest reading your factory warranty thoroughly. Some things are free within certain limits, wiper refills and alignment free within a certain time or mileage, yet I can't recall what exactly those limits are.
I did have an alignment done on my car, simply because the steering wheel got off center, yet I failed to get it done within (the free) time limit of miles...should have read warranty more closely.

Overall I've had nothing done under warranty so far as nothing real has gone wrong with my car. Made in Japan means closest to perfection one can get !

Last edited by ToySub1946; 05-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-04-2018), PacManTheRS1.0 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #54
mattyice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManTheRS1.0 View Post
Yeah I definitely want to get some wider tires and maybe spacers as I already love the way the car looks. I'll be keeping the Scion badges on just because I want it to be as stock as possible for good resale when the time does eventually come. I'll look into Motul, thanks for the suggestion.

Does your RS1 also happen to be manual?
Manual
Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #55
PacManTheRS1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I drive 2015 FRS, manual, purchased new, now about 3.5 years old.

Currently almost 55,000 miles on the car.

I got the three free oil changes, then additional ones done by me at home. I use a factory (Subaru or Toyota) oil filter and oil from Walmart...0W20 Mobil one. Change oil averaging every 7500 miles.

Zero real problems with this car. Any issues you think you have are already explained in these forums, so no need to fix things which are just normal....like crickets, window squeaks going up and down sometimes, slight noise when pushing clutch pedal in (from bell housing area), slight noise trying to get into second gear when trans is cold, etc.

I've done nothing other than those oil and filter, changes, and also new tires at 48,000 miles, new wiper refills once.

Most reliable car I've ever owned and I've owned over 60 cars in my lifetime.

I recommend doing minimal maintenance, let the next owner do more, save your money.

I may change spark plugs at 60,000 miles, not sure yet (as some in these forums wait longer). I have no intention of ever changing fluids in trans or diff, let the next guy do that.

Suggest reading your factory warranty thoroughly. Some things are free within certain limits, wiper refills and alignment free within a certain time or mileage, yet I can't recall what exactly those limits are.
I did have an alignment done on my car, simply because the steering wheel got off center, yet I failed to get it done within (the free) time limit of miles...should have read warranty more closely.

Overall I've had nothing done under warranty so far as nothing real has gone wrong with my car. Made in Japan means closest to perfection one can get !
Great to hear, glad you’ve had very little if any issues. Looking forward to putting plenty of miles on the car!

Tags
1.0, maintenance, owner, release, series