follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #43
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Its not about if they are paid off or not, you still gotta register them and keep them maintained, and use them for their intended purpose.
Yeah, the cost of keeping two cars in running order can be significant in Australia; storage, rego, insurance, servicing, fuel, consumables. That can easily add up to a few grand every year. You have to really want more than one car to justify up to double the running costs. I cannot. So I need a sportscar with at least some practicality.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #44
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Yeah, the cost of keeping two cars in running order can be significant in Australia; storage, rego, insurance, servicing, fuel, consumables. That can easily add up to a few grand every year. You have to really want more than one car to justify up to double the running costs. I cannot. So I need a sportscar with at least some practicality.
Wow that is expensive. The 16BRZ is my DD unless it snows then the WRX in winter. Extra cost a year is about $800 insurance, registration $75, $37 inspection, $80 for 2 oil changes. Do all maintenance myself. So cost is less then 100 a month. Remember maintenance is generally based on mileage. So you can only be in one car at a time, so the miles stay the same but are split between the cars. I could go a whole year without changing the oil on the WRX, but for 40 bucks I just do it about every 6 months. Also I have no fear jumping into a project on the car because if I can’t get it done or I am waiting for a part, I have a second car to get to work.

I have to admit with my hobbies I do go overboard. I love mountain biking and have many bikes. It’s a disease. Saving up for a weekend toy for my 50th bday next year, maybe a used cayman or C7.

If you can afford having two cars it is way better than one, even better than one more expensive car.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #45
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
That would make some sense, but does it truly make a difference, given that there's a bunch of bushings in the suspension that also affect the mechanics of how the steering system works?

Also, wouldn't a lighter aluminum knuckle make the rotational inertia of the system lower, thus improving responsiveness?
Consider that the knuckle is the connection point of the strut, the steering linkage and the control arm. It's probably the best point to stiffen up without negatively affecting ride like stiffer bushings would.

The knuckle doesn't rotate, so no rotational inertia in play here, but unsprung mass? yes. However, the current twins have cast iron knuckles and have a delightful tactile feeling, so I see it as sticking with the current weight and stiffness instead of going to a lighter, less stiff setup.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #46
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Is there any word on if Power Steering tuning is the same between them?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #47
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
If you can afford having two cars it is way better than one, even better than one more expensive car.
I've owned two cars most of my life.
There was always a better chance one of them would start.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racingfool For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-16-2021), Ernest72 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 03:28 AM   #48
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Is there any word on if Power Steering tuning is the same between them?
The JDM model reviews have all noted a change.

The BRZ is heavier than the old car, the 86 is lighter but I haven't heard if it was lighter than the old ones, or just lighter than the BRZ.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #49
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
The JDM model reviews have all noted a change.

The BRZ is heavier than the old car, the 86 is lighter but I haven't heard if it was lighter than the old ones, or just lighter than the BRZ.

That’s good to hear. I wanted less assist in my BRZ. I wish they would make the assist level a user selectable input.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #50
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That’s good to hear. I wanted less assist in my BRZ. I wish they would make the assist level a user selectable input.
Yeah I agree! Sounds simple, yet I cant recall anyone doing that.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #51
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I agree! Sounds simple, yet I cant recall anyone doing that.
Ford does this. I recall their earliest was the 2nd gen Euro Focus. The current and previous Mustangs have steering modes, however I didn't like them. From what I remember (it's been 5 years since I drove one), normal mode is very lacking in feel and makes the car numb. The sport mode I remember being artificially heavy but not really helping actual feel, but much better than normal.

Maybe I'm getting older but I much prefer no modes, just a single well tuned steering system rather than a few mediocre to bad ones. Took me a day to get used to the FRS's light steering but I can say they did a fantastic job, the only light steering EPS that offers a lot of steering feel, I was personally worried about EPS because so many sucked before then. To hear possibly the newer cars adding a bit of heft, I'm very eager to try, perhaps even better balanced than before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-16-2021), timurrrr (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #52
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
Ford does this. I recall their earliest was the 2nd gen Euro Focus. The current and previous Mustangs have steering modes, however I didn't like them. From what I remember (it's been 5 years since I drove one), normal mode is very lacking in feel and makes the car numb. The sport mode I remember being artificially heavy but not really helping actual feel, but much better than normal.

Maybe I'm getting older but I much prefer no modes, just a single well tuned steering system rather than a few mediocre to bad ones. Took me a day to get used to the FRS's light steering but I can say they did a fantastic job, the only light steering EPS that offers a lot of steering feel, I was personally worried about EPS because so many sucked before then. To hear possibly the newer cars adding a bit of heft, I'm very eager to try, perhaps even better balanced than before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BMW does it too, but it doesn’t work either. I think the problem is that those EPS systems don’t have enough feedback so reducing assist will only result in heavier steering. I think you need a rack with good feedback for any of it to feel right, regardless of assist level. Sadly most steering systems are tuned to isolate the driver because the vast majority of customers don’t like steering feedback. The Twins being a niche car helps not having to cater to them as much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #53
Jianlun

Drives: GR86 RC
Also this. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ich-is-better/ In short, EPS generally have less feel due to the higher inertia of the motors connected to the system damping out the small vibrations.

But I guess mpg sells so EPS it is.

Anyone knows if the current gen twins have a positive or negative scrub radius and how much? I read an old post saying its +20mm? But feels a little too much? Didn't seem to come across any other info.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #54
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Quote:
I wish they would make the assist level a user selectable input.
Would be nice. It can be done.
Quote:
The user can fine tune the 5 adjustable steering maps (via a rotary position switch)
https://www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS#ProMotor
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #55
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfool View Post

Sounds like it would be as simple as filtering the signal from the torque sensor.

It would be neat to see the aftermarket pick this up if the demand is there. @ is this something that’s attainable through a remap?
Old 08-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #56
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,209 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Arent drive modes are supposed to do that.
Obviously to various degrees of change based on manufacturers settings. (some barely make a change, others have more noticeable changes)
And because its a manufacturer setting, they might not be ideal for anyones personal preference.

Just so happens the twins dont have multiple drive modes.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote