follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
"So why would the owner not just opt to send it back and do the paperwork?"

My guess is as good as yours. There are stubborn people out there just like the Ducati owner in the OP.

We can really only go in circles from this point so I will close my argument with this:

If the owner was just too stubborn to follow the proper process he deserved to have it crushed and lose everything. It is on him not the government.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #44
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It hurts to see any nice car or bike get crushed. I think Australia only has 10% duty on the import of personal motorcycles, so I wonder why the owner was soo stupid!!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #45
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
It hurts to see any nice car or bike get crushed. I think Australia only has 10% duty on the import of personal motorcycles, so I wonder why the owner was soo stupid!!
Ya, since we don't know the whole story it is really sort of hard to say why he went in that direction.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #46
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya, since we don't know the whole story it is really sort of hard to say why he went in that direction.
Maybe he lied and it was a stolen bike in the origin country and he couldn't export it back to the country of origin and re-import it back in properly n legally.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #47
Cmorris8848

Drives: CWP 2015 BRZ Stock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, we are a bit more open but odds are whoever got it at auction would have to ship it back to the country of origin and do the proper paper work to have it approved or have it destroyed so we are right back to square one.
Then if you got it approved there would be import fees, tariff, taxes and duty on the new value of it (not the auctioned price) which are very high for somebody bringing in one vehicle. Over all it would cost as much or more than buying a used one here and nobody would want it.
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I see where lup is coming from, just not with a very good plan. It could be a decent venture between governments to ship back goods made in the country of origin for a price, and then let the government there or the private sector resell to citizens with the government that seized the property getting a portion of the profits. Possibly have warehouses here to stock up on goods until it is cost effective to ship all at once.

If the seizing government doesn't think it is worth their time, they could dole out seized goods to pre-approved private parties to accomplish the aforementioned task. If they get caught reselling to the public here, they could get kicked off the list as well as a hefty fine.

I agree that it's the law, and that what happened was deserved, but there are better ways to go about this than to add more to the already large amount of trash and recyclables around the globe.
Cmorris8848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #48
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I see where lup is coming from, just not with a very good plan. It could be a decent venture between governments to ship back goods made in the country of origin for a price, and then let the government there or the private sector resell to citizens with the government that seized the property getting a portion of the profits. Possibly have warehouses here to stock up on goods until it is cost effective to ship all at once.

If the seizing government doesn't think it is worth their time, they could dole out seized goods to pre-approved private parties to accomplish the aforementioned task. If they get caught reselling to the public here, they could get kicked off the list as well as a hefty fine.

I agree that it's the law, and that what happened was deserved, but there are better ways to go about this than to add more to the already large amount of trash and recyclables around the globe.
But if the owner had simply shipped it back then there would have been in compliance and there would have been no penalties nor would it have been seized. It is a very simple process to follow and just because the importer did not want to follow the rules (for whatever unknown reason) the government does not become the bad guy here.
Cmorris8848 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #49
Cmorris8848

Quote:
But if the owner had simply shipped it back then there would have been in compliance and there would have been no penalties nor would it have been seized. It is a very simple process to follow and just because the importer did not want to follow the rules (for whatever unknown reason) the government does not become the bad guy here.
100% agree, and the government isn't the bad guy in my scenario, I'm just saying there are better, more profitable ways to go about it than wasting possible profits and even country relations
Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
100% agree, and the government isn't the bad guy in my scenario, I'm just saying there are better, more profitable ways to go about it than wasting possible profits and even country relations
To be blunt I doubt that once the government paid typical government prices and how such a system could be twisted for crime that there would be any good to come of it.
As far as trading back and forth between countries goes that rarely works out as it should on paper. We recently got a $5,000 fine because a $10 part accidently got left in a returnable crate and we were charged with "smuggling".
Old 01-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #51
Cmorris8848

Quote:
To be blunt I doubt that once the government paid typical government prices and how such a system could be twisted for crime that there would be any good to come of it.
As far as trading back and forth between countries goes that rarely works out as it should on paper. We recently got a $5,000 fine because a $10 part accidently got left in a returnable crate and we were charged with "smuggling".
And I agree about the twisting of it, and I can't go into much detail about my beliefs without breaking forum rules and such.

Like all good things, the thought to do it is usually pure until politics and greed get in the way and make it more illegal than it was legal (that's possible, right?)

Also, the money would be better spent on this than on other, unnecessary government programs that get millions thrown at them without accomplishing much.

Now I'll go crawl back in my hole and watch for a bit
The Following User Says Thank You to Cmorris8848 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
And I agree about the twisting of it, and I can't go into much detail about my beliefs without breaking forum rules and such.

Like all good things, the thought to do it is usually pure until politics and greed get in the way and make it more illegal than it was legal (that's possible, right?)

Also, the money would be better spent on this than on other, unnecessary government programs that get millions thrown at them without accomplishing much.

Now I'll go crawl back in my hole and watch for a bit
Pretty much said my piece.
Got room in that hole for another?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #53
Cmorris8848

Quote:
Pretty much said my piece.
Got room in that hole for another?
Nah, but I'll help you dig yours haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Cmorris8848 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Nah, but I'll help you dig yours haha
Dude! Do you have any idea the permits you need to work in Canada? I won't get my own hole for years. Even then only if I can prove there is no Canadian that can help dig the hole for me.
Cmorris8848 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #55
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,997 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Definitely the owner is at fault here, and selected to have the bike crushed, he had other options. Frankly, depending on the impound costs, and the shipping costs, I might have chosen to do the same thing (have it crushed) as that seems like it was the simplest thing to do given the circumstances. Some serious "stupid tax" though.

Or, the owner could have pulled a Bill Gates and got a law passed so he could get his vehicle. The "Show and Display" law in the US is partially a direct result of Gates trying to import a Porsche 959 that was impounded on arrival.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #56
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It could be a decent venture between governments to ship back goods made in the country of origin for a price, and then let the government there or the private sector resell to citizens with the government that seized the property getting a portion of the profits.
We can't even agree on broad things like extradition for crimes, pollution control, etc, what makes you think they would cooperate on matters that have so little consequence?

I think one huge thing missing here is the issue of state sovereignty. Just because we think it's a good idea does not mean it will fly in whatever country the product came from.

It's great that the US has an auction system that sells off seized property. If only US laws would be applicable in other countries.... perhaps time to invade Australia for harboring (or is that harbouring?) WMDs.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote