follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #43
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,986 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
This is incorrect. The crank pulley being smaller means the other components spin at lesser RPM compared to engine rpm.
You're both correct/incorrect ……. depending on whether or not, you are talking about the size of the crank-or pully or the size of the crank-ee pully ….. …… relative to each other.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For everything that spins in the drivetrain, the amount of horsepower released from inertia changes is a result of the difference in power that it takes to accelerate that part from rpm 1 to rpm 2 in time t. The time it takes for the car to accelerate itself usually makes the amount of freed power from rotating part inertia changes a negligible amount. For the driveshaft it is essentially 0. It could be weightless and the biggest benefit to acceleration would still be the static weight loss.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #45
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
This is not how you do it. You keep the crank pulley same size and change the size of the other pulleys. You want different underdrive ratios per component. You might also need to not underdrive certain components. For example, I underdrive the alternator and not the water/coolant pump. You also need larger pulleys and not smaller. Let's not misinform people.
I get that. The ATI unit, does in fact, reduce the size of the crank pulley. This underdrives all other systems.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #46
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,486 Times in 6,179 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Smart move ……. since you tend to get all tangled up in your underwear late at night …..

humfrz
Yeah, got no idea what you are referring to... Is this too many meds, or too few?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #47
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
It's kind of like when you are stirring a pot of freshly made stew. The fluid is all rotational and physics-y, but all you care about is the soft chopped up potatoes, carrots, and beef. They add variables to the rotational mass right? I mean, they add mass regardless because the beef and veggies are converted to energy which is then either expended or stored in the body. But then it's sooooo tasty. But if you don't use a wooden spoon it's just not the same. Oh and fluid dampers help, right?
Damn I could go for some beef stew right now...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #48
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yeah, got no idea what you are referring to... Is this too many meds, or too few?
Hint...….

humfrz
Attached Images

Spuds (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #49
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I found an in depth article explaining the physics and doing the math on everything. It was specifically for mustangs but principals still stands.

A 30lb shaft dropping to 15lbs with same diameter on a 13sec car would avg an extra 1/4hp for the run.

However a flywheel going from 25 to 12.5 bcs of the larger diameter would net about 3.5hp over a 13second run.

I guess I need to find something else to throw money at.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #50
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I found an in depth article explaining the physics and doing the math on everything. It was specifically for mustangs but principals still stands.

A 30lb shaft dropping to 15lbs with same diameter on a 13sec car would avg an extra 1/4hp for the run.

However a flywheel going from 25 to 12.5 bcs of the larger diameter would net about 3.5hp over a 13second run.

Interestingly enough, you would actually recover some of the flywheel energy on a shift if you do it right.

Also, those estimates sound about right.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #51
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post

It is not only about how the mass is distributed like the diameter. It is also about where this mass is located. Gains from rotational weight are best if they located before the transmission. You can imagine that the car is much lighter because of the gearing, so even reducing a few kg makes sense. People arguing that this doesn't work, they don't understand the basic principle of gearing. The driveshaft on other hand is located after the transmission, so the gearing doesn't help at all.

And by the way, the gains of a flywheel weight reduction are more. You remove most of this weight from the outside part of the flywheel , so it has a much less inertia.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:33 AM   #52
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There are three bits important to rotational kinetic energy.Mass, it's distance from rotating center, and rpms. For engine flywheel it's all three. For driveshaft, only first to some extent with little left of later two. For wheels mostly first two.
It's not location pre or post transmission that increase or decrease need of energy spent to spin up some part. In this case it's difference of rpms that by chance are different for engine or post gearbox tranny parts, that affects that. Though drifeshaft also lacks diameter in addition to lower rpms it's spun at, for lightening to be very effective. If driveshaft had been spun at 10x faster rpms due different gearing from gearbox / final drive, results would be different. Rpms (and diameter), not location.
Think all of them as flywheels of different shapes/masses/spinning speeds and think what impacts energy needed to spin up flywheels in general and which each of them have of those properties.

Last edited by churchx; 06-06-2018 at 01:46 AM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #53
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
@churchx Yes, you expressed this better. The pre or post transmission location affects the rpms.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #54
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's not as lighter drive shafts don't make sense at all though, as due their sheer size/length there they still weight noticeably .. just that lightening them serve more like lightening car/it's sprung/unrotational weights in general, not so much vs lightening rotational weight of other parts that spin much faster and/or that have weights located further from rotation center, and for general car lightening there are better ways of better returns per buck or lightening by much larger weight if within limited budget, then buying expensive shaft. Interior ripping, removal of misc comfort items like AC/audio/noise insulation, lighter battery, lighter seats, rear seat removal, lighter exhaust, removal of crap in trunk, lighter wheels & brakes, lighter flywheel, removal of washing liquid tank and so on ..
If budget is unlimited and there are no class limits on that, shaft can also be one of many things to be installed for lighter weight too. But otherwise main purpose why someone should look at aftermarket driveshafts is their ability to transfer more torque of more powerful forced induction engines without breaking, lesser weight being just slight bonus of little importance, insufficient to justify the price if lightening being sole reason. Due a shape/small diameter that lightening being for rotational mass also doesn't make much difference in this particular case.

Last edited by churchx; 06-06-2018 at 02:39 AM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:35 AM   #55
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hint...….

humfrz

I wonder if Tcoat takes any? You folks should have a competition on who is taking the most pre day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #56
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I wonder if Tcoat takes any? You folks should have a competition on who is taking the most pre day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, that reminds me ……...be right back ……… OK, I'm good …… the Wed AM cell in my pill container is empty …..

I'm afraid that I would "win" the pill consumption per day contest ……

Besides, ol @Tcoat wouldn't fess up to taking ANY medications; @Ultramaroon has no idea of how many pills mrs Ultramaroon slips into his morning coffee, just to keep him level and ol @Sapphireho wouldn't fess up …. cause that would confirm our suspicions about his "condition(s)" …….

humfrz
chaoskaze (06-06-2018)

Tags
carbon fiber, driveshaft, dss, fluidampr, pulley