follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lol I think maybe we need to establish that there's a typo in the thread title. It's Tesla, people, as in TEZ-lah. Named after a real smart guy from long ago, who also got a unit of measure for magnetic fields named after him

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #44
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
  1. Speak for yourself
  2. There is a dealer at the mall 9 minutes from my job and 25 minutes from my house
If I owned a house or lived in an apartment building with a garage charging station and was in the market for a dedicated Daily Driver this would actually be at the TOP of my list.
If you add to that available charging at work, then me too, in a heartbeat. It's true that not everyone has access to a dealer, but they are expanding their network steadily. I'll admit I was astonished when RaceR told us that they are selling lots of cars in Norway; I'd had no idea that they had already ventured outside the US because it was sounding like they had their hands full dealing with just the US market.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #45
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
If you add to that available charging at work, then me too, in a heartbeat. It's true that not everyone has access to a dealer, but they are expanding their network steadily. I'll admit I was astonished when RaceR told us that they are selling lots of cars in Norway; I'd had no idea that they had already ventured outside the US because it was sounding like they had their hands full dealing with just the US market.
I actually forgot about that too. I work for BMW and we've got charging stations already set up for the ActiveE's and the new i3 and i8 that are coming out. Even more of a reason.

To put things into perspective think of how many options we'll have for charging in the near future: Hotels and other places people would lodge, Your own homes, Regular Charging stations (analogous of the typical gas station), Any dealership that has an electric vehicle in their line-up, and if the idea that's been thrown around for NY hits other places there'll be quick charge boxes set up in the future that work the way parking meters used to (I.E. you park in a spot, put in the cash for however many hours of charging, then bugger off for 2-3 hours while your car charges.

^ that's what I call convenience.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Don't understand the hate.

Like it or not, the Tesla Model S is one gorgeous, well-performing machine. Saw one on the road the other day, simply elegant and beautiful styling.

Props for ushering along the concept that electric cars don't have to be ugly as hell.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #47
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
How much charging infrastructure do you have in Norway? In the US, it's starting to pick up a little bit in California (i.e. Tesla is building a whole network expressly for owners of their cars, where they will be able to recharge for free) but not much elsewhere. Until this is solved, electrics will be a tough sell in the US.
Im no expert on the field.
Owning a Leaf would get most people to their workplace and home again and still have some battery left even in bad conditions. That makes them convenient for many people as a car number 2. I believe most owners with electric vehicles combine charging at home and at their workspace. That makes range decent when they are out to do something. Many of the larger shopping centers around the "big" cities have charging places for electric vehicles. You get free parking and charging (also other benefits for electric vehicles here).

Going for a longer trip in the typical electric vehicle wont happen. The Northern part of Norway is absolutely no point in trying to reach. (most people would not drive from the southern part and to the northern part anyway.) The lower part still lacks fast chargers. The future of superchargers here are unknown. But a couple of superchargers well placed could do wonders.

I know there is atleast 500+++ reservations for Model S. I believe most customers will buy the 85kWh version. I would not have considered lower. That should take care of most of the range problem. With the a Leaf, a longer trip would be out of the question due do lack of fast chargers and the need for longer charging times after a just 10 some range covered. With a 85kwh Model S, you could cover good range in one day and do overnight charging at friends/hotels. Or do a little charging in daytime if needed. With some planing most people could take long trips with the car already today.
Supercharger across the country would make it much more desirable and easier to live with tough. But I think most people will either have a petrol engine for that or just plan the trip better.

Charging stations can be seen here:
http://www.ladestasjoner.no/ (zoom out for overview)
But most of them are quite slow as far as i know.
"use the checkbox for "hurtiglager" og see the amount of fast chargers around. There are no superchargers, so "fast charging" would probably considered "slow charging" (due to the high capacity) on a 85kwh Model S if battery levels are low.

The reasons why electic vehicles sell here are mostly due to price. They are currently very "cheap" (not more than in the US), and normal combustion engines are expensive. In Norway we also have HP taxes so owning a new 300+hp car is only for the the high upper class or rich people. Owning a 85KW 350hp+ luxurious Model S can be obtainable to the well established middle class family with decent economy when taking all costs into consideration.

Im guessing in 2017/2018 there is a high probability 25% VAT will be added to electric vehicles. Maybe some extra taxes too on premium high powered cars?? More reason to buy an electric vehcle like the Model S before that time. There is some speculation on what will happen.. Could maybe get a Model S delivered in 2016. Sell in 2018 without loosing much.. Who knows.
The future for electric vehicles here are either way quite exiting.

BTW:
EU have a target of CO2 output to only be 95g/km by 2020. That is the average for the whole car fleet as far as i know. I think that is realistic for us to achieve here. I believe the average new car here now is about 125g CO2.
Already the GT86 have bad output compared to the average car at 181g Co2. So for every GT86 sold you would have to sell one electric vehicle like the Models S. Or 3 Prius plug-in hybrids for every 86 sold to beat the average consumption goal for 2020.
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #48
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
With some planning most people could take long trips with the car already today.
Repeated for emphasis. Wow.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
So we have 255 cars sold and deposits on 500+? And the US government has loaned them $465M. Plus a shit-ton more of private cash. Now if each one sells for $100k, what's the net profit going to be on those 5-10%? So they've made ~$3.8-7.6M including cars not even sold yet. Plus there are quality delays. Plus how much room for growth is there in the niche? Leaf and MiEV aren't exactly breaking sales records in the more practical, utilitarian markets.

I just don't see this ending well.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #50
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yup.

CEO is about on par with the old head of DeLorean.

yeah i know right...with all those rockets he's putting into space...wait you really have no idea huh?

try looking up Elon Musk

I have several HUNDRED THOUSANDS of dollars worth of his other little side projects (spacex) in my shop right now...

Tesla should go out of business, but likely wont, but Elon Musk and DeLorean have little in common....check your facts
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #51
RaceR

Quote:
Thanks for all the info!
No problem. I find the subject interesting.
Most EU countries are not like Norway in terms of taxes. (Very high on normal, extremly high on high HP high CO2 cars, and super low on electric vehicles.
But to be honest. Norway is really bad country for electric cars compared to most other EU countries. The population is small (5 million) and the country is quite big and with lots of hills and not the best climate.
Some history and views of the good driving roads here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yKD0coMVO8"]2011 Audi R8 Topless in Norway - Epic Drives Episode 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Not a suitable trip for an electric vehicle. Even not the Model S. Would need several superchargers..

What makes electric cars and low emission cars in California so desirable compared to the rest of the US?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #52
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I don't know, but it's faster than M5 to a quarter mile. It's insanely fast in straightline.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #53
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post

What makes electric cars and low emission cars in California so desirable compared to the rest of the US?

nothing at all it just happens to be full of hippies and politicians that cater to their whims
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #54
RaceR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
So we have 255 cars sold and deposits on 500+? And the US government has loaned them $465M. Plus a shit-ton more of private cash. Now if each one sells for $100k, what's the net profit going to be on those 5-10%? So they've made ~$3.8-7.6M including cars not even sold yet. Plus there are quality delays. Plus how much room for growth is there in the niche? Leaf and MiEV aren't exactly breaking sales records in the more practical, utilitarian markets.

I just don't see this ending well.
I have read (speculations?) that Tesla have higher profit on their cars than you say. Up towards 20%. (Not sure if its correct).
In EU, the prices and profit will probably be higher. But if they mess up and need to send mechanincs around to fix cars that extra profit could fade away.
I think Tesla could have a huge future! The potential is high. And just the "Tesla" the brand starts getting real popular in terms of electric vehicles.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #55
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
UPDATE: I researched (googled) "Motor Trend DeLorean":

Motor Tend selected the DeLorean car as "Import Car of the Year", April 1962.

Does history repeat itself??? We'll see.
Do I subscribe to Motor Trend? No.
This seems unlikely, as there was no Delorean in 1962.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #56
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
another Solyndra... ? maybe its funded by current administration also.. anything green is golden.. regardless if they make any money.

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote