follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #43
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
or set the rev indicator with beeper ON so you hear it and don't have to actually see it?
I set my beep/shift light to 7400 RPM, and set the rev limit to 8K. That way I still have a few hundred RPMs to go when it beeps.

I don't track or race, I just don't like hitting the rev limiter at 7400.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #44
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I set my beep/shift light to 7400 RPM, and set the rev limit to 8K. That way I still have a few hundred RPMs to go when it beeps.

I don't track or race, I just don't like hitting the rev limiter at 7400.
Just an idea, set the indicator a little earlier. Reaction times mean you will always pass it by a couple of hundred RPM, depending on the gear. If you're always up near 8k on stock valvetrain... I wish you luck

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #45
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Also it's possible in low grip situations like wheelhops/drifting in wet/on snow/ice very easily to over-rev. Often quicker then one can react and ease on accelerator in time.
I suggest to not up rev limiter that high. You may not like how rev limiter / fuel cutoff works, but it's "safeguard". To make you safe / guard from blown engine and big spendings, lol. Everything is compromise, but imho in this case risks are far greater then subjective feel gains of that safeguard not kicking in.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-21-2017), Ultramaroon (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #46
reeves

Yea, people have been telling me about "not doing" this & that to my car the past 4 years.. But I like to live dangerously.

Heck, I'm still running on a supposedly questionable tune by a certain questionable tuner since I got my car (no, i'm not naming no names), and nothing's blown up yet. I think people tend to overreact to alot of things they're not familiar with... like revving to 8K.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:03 AM   #47
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I think people tend to overreact to alot of things they're not familiar with... like revving to 8K.
I was very familiar to revving to 8k on my last car, the limiter was nearer to 9. However that was on an engine designed to do it. It's well documented that the valve springs on the FA20 aren't that strong and there are increasing instances of the valve rockers ejecting themselves. It doesn't mean yours will fail, but increasing revs by only 500RPM does increase the risk of failure by a considerable amount based on the fact they weren't designed for those engine speeds. It only takes enough fatigue to drop a valve or rocker to destroy a complete engine. It's down to you as to whether 8k, where it's losing power past 7k, is worthwhile when just keeping it below 7600 might give you much better engine life. It's all well and good while it's running and you're laughing at those who tell you otherwise.... But they're only trying to help you.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (12-10-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #48
reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I was very familiar to revving to 8k on my last car, the limiter was nearer to 9. However that was on an engine designed to do it. It's well documented that the valve springs on the FA20 aren't that strong and there are increasing instances of the valve rockers ejecting themselves. It doesn't mean yours will fail, but increasing revs by only 500RPM does increase the risk of failure by a considerable amount based on the fact they weren't designed for those engine speeds. It only takes enough fatigue to drop a valve or rocker to destroy a complete engine. It's down to you as to whether 8k, where it's losing power past 7k, is worthwhile when just keeping it below 7600 might give you much better engine life. It's all well and good while it's running and you're laughing at those who tell you otherwise.... But they're only trying to help you.
Yea I know the risks of engine failure.. you gotta pay to play, etc. It'll be a good chance to do an engine swap or go FI if the engine does blow.. either way, I'm not worried. Maybe subconsciously I'm just testing the limits of how durable this engine really is.. I've been known to do impractical things like that. I know people are only trying to give helpful advice, but hopefully anyone who's raising their rev limit would already know the risks before doing it.

The smiley emoji is to show everyone I don't take anything too seriously.. I must be getting old if the meaning has changed to "laughing at everyone" lol
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (04-22-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #49
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Bump from the dead.

Anyone have a video bouncing off the rev limiter with an OFT OTS tune? I can't stand the hard fuel cut of the stock tune, and would love for it to just bounce until I let off. It would be useful in autocross when you shifting would actually slow you down in comparison.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #50
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,982 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Bump from the dead.

Anyone have a video bouncing off the rev limiter with an OFT OTS tune? I can't stand the hard fuel cut of the stock tune, and would love for it to just bounce until I let off. It would be useful in autocross when you shifting would actually slow you down in comparison.

It doesnt rearly bounce of rev limit it just hangs at limit with the ignition retard , if you manage to push it past that it will eventually hot the hard fuel cut but even that is much softer than stock due reduced hysterisis from 200 rpm to 50 from memory

Its very similar to whats demonstrated here by moto east tuning

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (07-26-2017)