follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2023, 09:53 AM   #43
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yeah there are certainly better and worse ABS and TCS and stability control systems. OR...adjustable TCS systems (i think the GR Cup cars, certain Lotus Elise/Exige models, lots of racecars, etc.)

Early Subaru ABS systems weren't very good...to the point were Subaru would swap out the control unit for you on the 2002-2003 WRX. It was terrible on bumpy pavement or snow. Bad enough that they'd replace it for free is pretty bad.

We're a long way from there but the point is not all of these systems are the same!

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
GrandSport (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #44
RACECAR go brrr!
Custom Switch Panels!

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
So, has anyone tracked the car with ABS fuse removed and can confirm that it affects the brake bias?
I used the TracBox to disable ABS in the car for autocross, and only made it halfway around the course before turning it back on. Crazy aggressive front bias that made it WAY too easy to lock a front tire, especially if I was trying to add ANY amount of steering input under braking.

Order your own custom Toyobaru switch panel at www.racecargobrrr.com!
RACECAR go brrr! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RACECAR go brrr! For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (06-13-2023), ZDan (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 12:27 PM   #45
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for your input! I've got another question, that notorious "ice mode", does it occur even when thw pedal dance is performed?
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #46
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,354 Times in 7,395 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input! I've got another question, that notorious "ice mode", does it occur even when thw pedal dance is performed?
It can happen still. I just don't know anyone that has actually had it happen personally. I believe it is hard coded into the ABS module. Someone may be able to correct me on this.
Arthur-A (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 02:52 PM   #47
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes I have hit ice mode in pedal dance. I could repeat it easily and had it happen several times over a autox run, I started braking less stabby and it basically evaporated. Ice mode without pedal dance I’ve only experienced 2-3x in the nearly decade I’ve been driving this car, only once at a hairy autox finish.

It’ll depend on why you’re hitting ice mode whether it’ll help or not. Bad technique? Might get worse. Weird track things, you might find it easier to modulate and stay out of ice mode.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 04:18 PM   #48
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,234 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
There are two forms of what some people call ice mode.

1. Lift a wheel on the brakes and ABS will shut off immediately, I haven't had this happen in the BRZ but I have in a Miata.

2. High, hard pedal and car doesn't slow as expected unless you get off the brakes entirely and go back on them. Some cars are worse in the effect than others, ours are not that bad whereas something like a Corvette will kill you. This is more or less caused by getting into ABS regulation on initial brake application and having the unit go into a feedback loop where it won't give you full braking pressure. ABS units are (generally, there are outliers) more concerned with keeping the car stabilized than providing maximum decel rate. Once you know how to trigger and reproduce it at will you can pretty easily work around it.

And yeah, I can reproduce it pedal danced too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
I'll likely be ditching the pedal box and going back to the stock 86 pedal setup with a MK60 next year and standalone ecu TC strategy. I rode in a boosted miata with it and crazy how well it works.
If you decide to do this drop me a PM, we have a Discord for MK60 Motorsports ABS in other cars. MK60E5 the way.

Last edited by RedReplicant; 06-13-2023 at 06:20 PM.
RedReplicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedReplicant For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (06-13-2023), CSG Mike (06-13-2023), GrandSport (06-13-2023), strat61caster (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #49
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
There are two forms of what some people call ice mode.

1. Lift a wheel on the brakes and ABS will shut off immediately, I haven't had this happen in the BRZ but I have in a Miata.

2. High, hard pedal and car doesn't slow as expected unless you get off the brakes entirely and go back on them. Some cars are worse in the effect than others, ours are not that bad whereas something like a Corvette will kill you. This is more or less caused by getting into ABS regulation on initial brake application and having the unit go into a feedback loop where it won't give you full braking pressure. ABS units are (generally, there are outliers) more concerned with keeping the car stabilized than providing maximum decel rate. Once you know how to trigger and it and reproduce it at will you can pretty easily work around it.

And yeah, I can reproduce it pedal danced too.

If you decide to do this drop me a PM, we have a Discord for MK60 Motorsports ABS in other cars. MK60E5 the way.
Corvette had it bad. At least my C7 did. Not that happened frequently- it just locked up really bad with almost no brake power.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (06-13-2023)