follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #43
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
lets throw this into the mix:
comments I have gathered, in research, PMs, etc on spacer requirement and brake clearance have me leaning towards what i can get away with on sprints with no spacer as one consideration, so that may disqualify some wheels I suppose;

a second and more important desired 'trait' would be, what wheels, if any spacerless-,can accomodate the endurance calipers in 17"template

forged vs non forged really dont matter, i guess, but if the solution happens to be a pricey forged wheel, thats light stout and clears Endurance brakes spacerless, then that makes them pre-sold,
what are my options there???
I'll throw the enduro template on all the wheels we have for our car

Pics to come tonight.

-Mike
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #44
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
It is true. Do your research before calling me out. BBS CH-R's are Rotary Forged, Advan RZ's are Rotary Forged, exactly the same process as TSW.

If you'd like proof, do some research please. Thank you
Cast wheels are NOT what people normally think of first, when you mention BBS, so while you are telling the truth, it's rather misleading.

LM's would be the first to come to my mind... and I have a set of RG-R (forged version of the RX) on my S2k. I'm sure all the former/previous subie owners here, as well as other enthusiasts, are thinking forged wheels like what came/comes on the STi and Evo.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
No Limit Motorsport (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #45
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/

Matt mentions in his blog the Endurance requires 18's, not sure if true or not but he runs the Mach V and Sprint kit already...
325mm disc diameter according to Essex. Their product site for the kit states "without requiring 18" wheels" too. Mach V awesome were made to clear OEM Brembo setups which have a larger diameter disc with a BULKY caliper.

The problem here becomes offset and spoke design; hence why 17x8 RPF1 clear the sprint skit, but not 17x9 flavor.
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #46
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Cast wheels are NOT what people normally think of first, when you mention BBS, so while you are telling the truth, it's rather misleading.

LM's would be the first to come to my mind... and I have a set of RG-R (forged version of the RX) on my S2k. I'm sure all the former/previous subie owners here, as well as other enthusiasts, are thinking forged wheels like what came/comes on the STi and Evo.
It seems misleading, but it's also the style of manufacturering process it uses, so it's a double edged sword here. Either get called out by forum members or customers who have purchased, who see us post saying, oh yeah, those are spun cast, when they just received a box that says in HUGE letters, Rotary forged, but not only that, the TSW Nurburgrings RF, and Interlagos RF wheels, say RF as well... Basically standing for, Rotary Forged...

I mean... Why call it spun cast wheel when you get a Nurburgring, or another rotary forged when it's packaged like that? Causes WAY too much confusion calling it something else, when it's the same exact process... Doesn't make a difference.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
CSG Mike

Quote:
It seems misleading, but it's also the style of manufacturering process it uses, so it's a double edged sword here. Either get called out by forum members or customers who have purchased, who see us post saying, oh yeah, those are spun cast, when they just received a box that says in HUGE letters, Rotary forged, but not only that, the TSW Nurburgrings RF, and Interlagos RF wheels, say RF as well... Basically standing for, Rotary Forged...

I mean... Why call it spun cast wheel when you get a Nurburgring, or another rotary forged when it's packaged like that? Causes WAY too much confusion calling it something else, when it's the same exact process... Doesn't make a difference.
Rotary forging is just a marketing term used by TSW. It's no different from a traditional spun cast, flow formed, or rim-rolled cast wheel. They're all different terms for the same thing.

The wheel is not made from a forged ingot like a Ray or BBS forged wheel. At the end of the day, the wheel is still formed by being CAST into a mold, not pressed into shape between dies.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Ro_Ja (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Rotary forging is just a marketing term used by TSW. It's no different from a traditional spun cast, flow formed, or rim-rolled cast wheel. They're all different terms for the same thing.

The wheel is not made from a forged ingot like a Ray or BBS forged wheel.
It's not just a term used by TSW, it's a term used by Forgestar, Pro Comp, Centerline, and I'm sure a few more that are slipping my mind. Not sure how it can be a marketing term when it's the actual construction process that is used to make the wheel. The barrel is still forged here, it's not like it's a fully cast wheel, so I'm not sure why it's still misleading here.

Definition of Forged: Make or shape (a metal object) by heating it in a fire or furnace and beating or hammering it. [Thanks to Google for this].

Quote:
....the wheel is still formed by being CAST into a mold, not pressed into shape between dies.
Sorry, that's wrong... Please look at the video, lets get educated. Sure doesn't look like it's being formed by a mold here. Looks like originally it was a mold, but then it is indeed pressed into it's elongated shape to give the barrel, essentially, a rotary forging!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0HGAfVJMcg"]metal forming machinery program overview - Global Metal Spinning Solutions - DENN USA Metal Forming - YouTube[/ame]

Nobody is claiming that TSW wheels, or anything else that says they are rotary forged, would be fully forged wheels, I never said that, and I'm claiming, just like in my previous post, they're exactly the same construction process as flow formed, spun forged, or spun cast, it's the same construction process, nobody is claiming it's any different.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #49
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can see where you're coming from. It kind of boils down to being TSW's fault for adding the word "forged" to the description, when they could have just called it "flow form cast" or "spun-rim cast" to avoid confusion. Just marketing to make sales, plain and simple.

The problem is when people see "Rotary Forged" and see you equating that with BBS. Probably better to mention BBS CH or RC next time to specify BBS cast wheels. Otherwise those who may not know what "rotary forging" is might think RF = forged.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #50
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
If it's for track my vote is for the MachV Awesomes. Light, cheap, hub centric, clears the fenders, packs in plenty of rubber and clears big brakes.

They look pretty good too IMHO.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #51
CSG Mike

Quote:
It's not just a term used by TSW, it's a term used by Forgestar, Pro Comp, Centerline, and I'm sure a few more that are slipping my mind. Not sure how it can be a marketing term when it's the actual construction process that is used to make the wheel. The barrel is still forged here, it's not like it's a fully cast wheel, so I'm not sure why it's still misleading here.

Definition of Forged: Make or shape (a metal object) by heating it in a fire or furnace and beating or hammering it. [Thanks to Google for this].

Sorry, that's wrong... Please look at the video, lets get educated. Sure doesn't look like it's being formed by a mold here. Looks like originally it was a mold, but then it is indeed pressed into it's elongated shape to give the barrel, essentially, a rotary forging!

Nobody is claiming that TSW wheels, or anything else that says they are rotary forged, would be fully forged wheels, I never said that, and I'm claiming, just like in my previous post, they're exactly the same construction process as flow formed, spun forged, or spun cast, it's the same construction process, nobody is claiming it's any different.

I never said you were wrong. I'm just saying that claiming it's on the level of a typical BBS forged wheel is wrong.

Lets not forget that BBS pioneered flow forming/rotary forging/whatever you want to call it.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #52
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Tc105n
+1

Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
It is true. Do your research before calling me out. BBS CH-R's are Rotary Forged, Advan RZ's are Rotary Forged, exactly the same process as TSW.

If you'd like proof, do some research please. Thank you
Quote:
Rotary forged construction puts them in the category of BBS, Advan and a few others that use the same process as well, so they're a serious contender for a lot less than those big name brands.
But they are NOT in the same category as BBS, Advan, Rays, and others. Just because they use a similar rim forming process does NOT mean the wheels are manufactured to the same spec and use the same quality of metals.

While a rim on a BBS wheel and a TSW wheel are both flow-formed rolled, or "rotary forged," as TSW's marketing team likes to rename and advertise, it does not mean the whole wheel is structurally the same. Despite the misleading name, TSW are cast wheels. Nothing about them is forged. Enkei, who is responsible for producing Advan's wheels, Rays, and BBS's cast manufacturing processes are obviously and substantially better than TSW's (aka "The Soft Wheel" or "Too Soft Wheels"). Who supplies more race teams around the world with cast and forged wheels? Rays, Enkei, OZ, and BBS. Not TSW. Well, gee, I wonder why...

Want me to call BBS and Enkei for you? I will. Just let me know.

Last edited by Ro_Ja; 01-09-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #54
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
okay, whats pricing like on the mach V?
Volk CE28N in 17x9.0 +43 are a bit more than I wanted to shell out..

seems they would still be considered lighter and stronger than Tc105n,(th the post above shows them being VERY light!)
but they probably cost more than Tc105n too
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #55
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I never said you were wrong. I'm just saying that claiming it's on the level of a typical BBS forged wheel is wrong.

Lets not forget that BBS pioneered flow forming/rotary forging/whatever you want to call it.

There really needs to be something done with this rotary 'forged' nonsense. It is a very reaching re-definition of the word, and one that isn't used in industry.

By the same standard my pots and pans in my kitchen are 'forged'. More fully than those wheels come to think about it...

The reason that forged is used without a qualifier is that for so long everything forged was die-forged that it became un-necessary to specify. Now marketing shitheads are fucking up the system.

By the marketing shitheads' logic, since shot peening cold works the surface of metal they'll be calling those wheels 'fully impact forged!!!' or some other bullshit next.

[/rant]

Forged (die-forged) wheels are more fatigue resistant than the others. This is something to consider with the combination of higher loads from high grip setups, as well as repeated higher load vibration and impact. Relevant if you're going to be doing lots of track days.

Because titanium.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #56
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
I took a big hit on a 57dr which is a cheaper rays cast wheel and it performed as well as their forged wheels ive run. For eg I had a 2 piece forged volk curb hit that needed an outer replacement due to bending. The 57dr chewed up the sidewall but showed no fatigue or marking. I don't know what tracks you run but personally wheel strength is a major plus point to me.

Im also in the market for a track set of lw 17 with bbk clearance hopefully in a 9x35-42ish size.

Closed Thread