follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #4901
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Vacation?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #4902
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Vacation?
Better not be!

Our dedicated FT86 Tuning Bitch Extraordinaire is NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE VACATIONS!!

TUNE monkey! TUNE!

Scott
Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #4903
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Better not be!

Our dedicated FT86 Tuning Bitch Extraordinaire is NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE VACATIONS!!

TUNE monkey! TUNE!

Scott

ahah I almost dont want to post about it.

I'm going to a buddy's wedding and some of my GTR customers already caught wind of my trip.. my phone is blowing up lol

-John
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
2forme (03-21-2013), Calum (03-21-2013), Draco_PR23 (03-21-2013), naikaidriver (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #4904
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
ahah I almost dont want to post about it.

I'm going to a buddy's wedding and some of my GTR customers already caught wind of my trip.. my phone is blowing up lol

-John
Price you pay for being successful sir! :happy0180:

If anyone deserves a bit of a break its you. Besides, at least you have Rich to kick around now!

Scott
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #4905
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As a native Floridian, yes yes we do exist, I caution you to be wary of the Floridiots perusing the highways and byways of this fine state, especially avoid the county of chad (Palm Beach) for the retirees are still out in force and have yet to return to their states of domicile. Every restaurant is packed to the gills for the "early bird specials darling" and handicapped parking is at a premium. God I hate Boca in the winter!
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #4906
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
My cables/license/tune is out for delivery via USPS right now
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #4907
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
Not exactly sure how I am here typing this. I was on the highway going about 85 mph in the middle left lane and some Idiot was trying to race me in the far left lane and then decided to speed ahead a little and cut me off. I barely overcorrected and of course my tail kicked out at 85mph on the highway... Cars all behind us and I did atleast a 360 starting from the left center lane to the grass on the right side of the intersate then all the way back to the center wall. I came to a complete stop facing perfectly parallel to the inside concrete wall with maybe 6 inches of room to open my driver door.... Needless to say.. I SOMEHOW didn't hit anyone else or a single object.. My car is untouched, barely any dust on it. I swear someone is looking out for me, because I've had some really close calls in this car ( life threatening). Already been T-boned in it.

Anyways. I was in 6th when I came to a stop so it stalled. When I tried to start it up it wouldn't turn until about the 3 or 4th time and my CEL is on. I drove it home. I don't notice any new noise at all. Steering is still straight, but im going to take it to discount tire and see if my buddies can see anything that isn't right.

I ran the ECU DTC Tool. ECU 2012MY. I clicked Read DTC's and its not finding anything but my Cel is still on. Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong?
Did you clutch in while you were spinning? I seem to recall that if your tires start running backwards while in gear, that can result in the oil pump running backwards (basically, sucking motor from your engine and pumping it into your oil pan instead of the proper way, from the oil pan to the motor).

Check out this thread for more info: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.p...6&postcount=10
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #4908
UncleFester

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Did you clutch in while you were spinning? I seem to recall that if your tires start running backwards while in gear, that can result in the oil pump running backwards (basically, sucking motor from your engine and pumping it into your oil pan instead of the proper way, from the oil pan to the motor).

Check out this thread for more info: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.p...6&postcount=10
This is also what I was thinking.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #4909
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
Definitely keep us posted. Get those logs into the support console when you have the time. If you dont mind, give more details about what happened too when you submit the ticket. What map were you on, what did you respond to, how did you react (change gears, slam brakes, etc). Very curious about which stage of traction control you were running too.
I guess there is no need to submit a ticket because once I got to work today with the CEL still on. I got a chance to get back to my car around noon today and when I started the car the CEL disappeared.. and I did Not clear it. It never even picked up a code when I ran the Vehicle DTC Tool, They all showed up as "0" when the CEL was on last night and this morning.

I was either on Map 1 or 2. Most likey 2, I stay away from 3 and 4 Usually. I didn't touch the clutch at all while this was all happening, half way through it all from going from the left side of the interstate to the right and back to the right inside barrier I closed my eyes and just put my hands around my head and was just waiting to hit something. I was either sideways or backwards for over 100 feet from looking at tire marks today. I didn't brake ( I know I should have...) but hey it was a long day and dark and I was sleepy, I was either in 5th or 6th and once I flicked the wheel to the right from my hand's on the wheel 8 and 4 o'clock to almost 12 and 6 o'clock I lost it. I didn't want the kid to get Pit maneuvered by me because he would have. So at that point I tried to drift it, but at 85~ mph, I Don't have much experience in how to even it out at that point with all the oversteer I have going on.

I'm taking off these Crap Yk580's on my rears and getting PSS tires with a wider wheel all around. I don't want that crap to happen again even know its always fun at 35-40 mph to get it sideways which I do on some roads with no population in counties in my area.

I'm just glad to be here still. I've had dozens of close calls in my car, had the 2nd wrecked Frs back in June but this tops it all.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #4910
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I'm really glad you're ok man! I'm still not sure I completely understand what caused you to panic (besides another vehicle sliding right toward you of course). But can I just add for future reference .. in situations like this, pretty much the last thing ya wanna do is "close your eyes and take your hands off the wheel!" The only reason I'm still here today to be posting is because of quick reaction times, and always running with the expectation (or at least the preparation for) the other cars around you to suddenly swerve into your path (ahem. @Visconti lol). When you're cruising at triple digit speeds, (which I know you weren't, but still relatively fast), you have to expect that the cars around you are NOT going to see you. And when you anticipate or see ish aboutin' (<- that's a word right lol) to get hairy, downshift immediately so you'll have the engine break helping to slow you down and keep you in control. And for god sakes, keep your hands locked on the wheel! I'm by no means trying to call you out, but ya kinda sorta did the textbook example of what not to do . It's only because you're ok and your car's ok that I'm joshin' ya a lil bit. I hope you learned from this experience and certainly I don't want anyone to think i'm intentionally making light of this or that I don't have the utmost respect for high speed driving.. because when you lose that respect, that's how people get killed.

Anyway, definitely still a mystery as to why the CEL came on. Maybe the car crapped its pants too . I would still run some data logs just to be on the safe side and make sure your car is still running where we want it to be. And then I'd buy a lottery ticket lol. But in all seriousness, cars are replaceable.. if you're gonna have fun out there, be smart; wear your seat belt, and again.. be prepared for anyone to swerve into your lane. There's waaaay more terrible, absent minded drivers out there than there are good ones.

Let us know if we can help in any way further, and for the eleventieth time, glad you're still here with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
I guess there is no need to submit a ticket because once I got to work today with the CEL still on. I got a chance to get back to my car around noon today and when I started the car the CEL disappeared.. and I did Not clear it. It never even picked up a code when I ran the Vehicle DTC Tool, They all showed up as "0" when the CEL was on last night and this morning.

I was either on Map 1 or 2. Most likey 2, I stay away from 3 and 4 Usually. I didn't touch the clutch at all while this was all happening, half way through it all from going from the left side of the interstate to the right and back to the right inside barrier I closed my eyes and just put my hands around my head and was just waiting to hit something. I was either sideways or backwards for over 100 feet from looking at tire marks today. I didn't brake ( I know I should have...) but hey it was a long day and dark and I was sleepy, I was either in 5th or 6th and once I flicked the wheel to the right from my hand's on the wheel 8 and 4 o'clock to almost 12 and 6 o'clock I lost it. I didn't want the kid to get Pit maneuvered by me because he would have. So at that point I tried to drift it, but at 85~ mph, I Don't have much experience in how to even it out at that point with all the oversteer I have going on.

I'm taking off these Crap Yk580's on my rears and getting PSS tires with a wider wheel all around. I don't want that crap to happen again even know its always fun at 35-40 mph to get it sideways which I do on some roads with no population in counties in my area.

I'm just glad to be here still. I've had dozens of close calls in my car, had the 2nd wrecked Frs back in June but this tops it all.

Last edited by Rich@ViscontiTuning; 03-21-2013 at 07:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #4911
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Awaiting the base tune so I can play around with racerom

Didn't John say he was going to start including a flash drive with a base tune on it when you buy everything?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #4912
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so when there is an updated tune, is it recommended we do the update and how is it that we are notified and get our hands on it? thanks guys.

p.s. i have the tune that is the newest i guess since i just reflashed last week.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #4913
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
so when there is an updated tune, is it recommended we do the update and how is it that we are notified and get our hands on it? thanks guys.

p.s. i have the tune that is the newest i guess since i just reflashed last week.
Good question. To answer the first one, yes, you should absolutely be running the latest revision of our calibration because we're investing tremendous research and development into these maps so that we can constantly be improving the end results. We also have detailed changelog files in our support console so you know exactly what improvements were made, added benefits/features, etc. in each revision.

We're also working on the most efficient and user friendly way of notifying our customer base when updates to these maps are available. That's just one of the many exciting new things we have in the works, but we'll be making announcements in the coming weeks and months when these new features become available. Stay tuned (pun intended lol)!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
ft86me (03-21-2013), Mitch (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #4914
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
Anyway, definitely still a mystery as to why the CEL came on. Maybe the car crapped its pants too .
I forgot to mention I checked the gas cap it came "unclicked" So.. I guess there was "minor" damage to the car. Almost makes me chuckle that it came undone and my car barely got dust on it.

Closed Thread