follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #4789
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Figure here is the most likely place anyone has done it.

Looking to refresh my brakes and want to replace the guide pins and bolts. Already have seals. Has anyone found any solid OEM alternatives for the slide pins? Or do I just bite the bullet from Subaru?
Autozone/Duralast has reman front calipers for $127 a pop. Part no: D7085

Comes complete with everthing refreshed/new bits. There is a core charge (refundable).

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lutfy For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #4790
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hi Mike-

For mainly track-driven cars, do you have a recommended ride-height? And how do you recommend measuring it?

I was measuring from the fender lip to pavement, but then thought about it and realized the fender lips might not be equally placed with respect to suspension mounting points. Would they be the more relevant reference point?

Also, do you recommend running a "flat" setup? My ride height was set to preserve the 1/4" back-to-front rake the cars come with stock. Thinking this through, though, it likely isn't ideal for a track car and likely increases rear-to-front weight transfer.

In fact, I wondered if this might be one factor relating to your comment earlier in this thread that I'm using my front tires too much.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #4791
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
^will, at least in part, depend on spring rates
Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #4792
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Hi Mike-

For mainly track-driven cars, do you have a recommended ride-height? And how do you recommend measuring it?

I was measuring from the fender lip to pavement, but then thought about it and realized the fender lips might not be equally placed with respect to suspension mounting points. Would they be the more relevant reference point?

Also, do you recommend running a "flat" setup? My ride height was set to preserve the 1/4" back-to-front rake the cars come with stock. Thinking this through, though, it likely isn't ideal for a track car and likely increases rear-to-front weight transfer.

In fact, I wondered if this might be one factor relating to your comment earlier in this thread that I'm using my front tires too much.
It's dependent on your suspension setup, and handling preference.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Turbo (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #4793
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It's dependent on your suspension setup, and handling preference.
Thanks, Mike.

Suspension setup right now is HKS Hipermax IV SP (track) coilovers - 8K springs front & rear.

Hotchkis sway bars front & rear. Since I installed the bars, I've backed the dampers off 2 clicks front & rear (from 25/23 out of 30 clicks to 23/21).

As for handling preference I'm looking for neutral balance. Something I can steer with my right foot, but not something that requires corrective lock. After softening the dampers I have noticed when the rear end slides or gets loose it seems more progressive/controllable. Before, it felt like it was on more of a knife edge.

Does that help?

I also have installed a pretty aggressive brake system up front - 13" x 1.25" 2pc rotors with 6 piston calipers and new HP+ pads. Brake bias calculates about 1% further forward then stock. This also made me think the 1/4" back-to-front rake I'm running isn't ideal, as it will transfer weight forward quicker, won't it? And the natural question on this is if I am eliminating it, am I raising the front or dropping the rear.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #4794
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks, Mike.

Suspension setup right now is HKS Hipermax IV SP (track) coilovers - 8K springs front & rear.

Hotchkis sway bars front & rear. Since I installed the bars, I've backed the dampers off 2 clicks front & rear (from 25/23 out of 30 clicks to 23/21).

As for handling preference I'm looking for neutral balance. Something I can steer with my right foot, but not something that requires corrective lock. After softening the dampers I have noticed when the rear end slides or gets loose it seems more progressive/controllable. Before, it felt like it was on more of a knife edge.

Does that help?

I also have installed a pretty aggressive brake system up front - 13" x 1.25" 2pc rotors with 6 piston calipers and new HP+ pads. Brake bias calculates about 1% further forward then stock. This also made me think the 1/4" back-to-front rake I'm running isn't ideal, as it will transfer weight forward quicker, won't it? And the natural question on this is if I am eliminating it, am I raising the front or dropping the rear.
The two in bold are mutually exclusive. If you can throttle steer, you will need to give the car corrective steering at some point.

Softening the dampers to break the rear loose means you're just getting unwanted rotation from a pendulum motion from a underdamped rear.

Try using the front oem sway with the rear hotchkis bar.

Rake will make the car more stable at speed, at the cost of braking stability (which is good in many cases).
Turbo (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #4795
Turbo

Quote:
The two in bold are mutually exclusive. If you can throttle steer, you will need to give the car corrective steering at some point.

Softening the dampers to break the rear loose means you're just getting unwanted rotation from a pendulum motion from a underdamped rear.

Try using the front oem sway with the rear hotchkis bar.

Rake will make the car more stable at speed, at the cost of braking stability (which is good in many cases).

What I meant was 'more controllable throttle steer'. Corrective steering input is fine, just not if it requires sudden opposite lock.

I wasn't softening the dampers to break the rear end loose - it actually ADDED traction back there. Now that it's softer, what I notice is when it breaks loose I find it more controllable and progressive- it actually allows me to throttle steer more as I'm more confident in controlling it. Before it was more of a knife edge - when it broke loose I frequently had to catch it -fast- with opposite lock.

My rear bar is set on the 2nd softest of 4 settings, and the front bar is set to it's softest setting.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #4796
CSG Mike

Quote:
What I meant was 'more controllable throttle steer'. Corrective steering input is fine, just not if it requires sudden opposite lock.

I wasn't softening the dampers to break the rear end loose - it actually ADDED traction back there. Now that it's softer, what I notice is when it breaks loose I find it more controllable and progressive- it actually allows me to throttle steer more as I'm more confident in controlling it. Before it was more of a knife edge - when it broke loose I frequently had to catch it -fast- with opposite lock.

My rear bar is set on the 2nd softest of 4 settings, and the front bar is set to it's softest setting.
I can't help any further without data or video. We don't know why the improvement happened, only that it happened with the adjustment.
Turbo (10-28-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #4797
Phantom_9192
Racer_X

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did a quick search with no results so here's my question.
I'm considering setting the car up for endurance racing but I'm worried about mileage vs other cars in class with much bigger tanks.

What kind of mileage do you see on track in anger? If you can relate it to a specific track that'll help as well (for instance CoTA's very different from Hallett).
The motor would be stock with potentially a tune to bump the power a bit.
Let me know please.
Thanks!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #4798
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_9192 View Post
I'm considering setting the car up for endurance racing but I'm worried about mileage vs other cars in class with much bigger tanks.

What kind of mileage do you see on track in anger? If you can relate it to a specific track that'll help as well (for instance CoTA's very different from Hallett).
Let me know please.
Thanks!
6-8mpg at COTA, TWS, MSR-C, MSR-H, and ECR. The bigger issue is that if you don't have the velox fuel flapper valve long left handers will cause fuel starve as early as half tank (I still get fuel starve under a quarter tank on RS4's with no aero at MSR-C).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (11-05-2018), Tristor (10-30-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 05:11 AM   #4799
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
6-8mpg at COTA, TWS, MSR-C, MSR-H, and ECR. The bigger issue is that if you don't have the velox fuel flapper valve long left handers will cause fuel starve as early as half tank (I still get fuel starve under a quarter tank on RS4's with no aero at MSR-C).
The flapper does not work. I've experienced starve with it as high as 7/8 of a tank (ethanol, FI).
Old 10-31-2018, 05:13 AM   #4800
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_9192 View Post

Let me know please.
Thanks!
MPG can be significantly altered with an enduro racing tune, where you value economy and overall average pace over outright speed. It would really depend on your pit strategy and specific event, as to where this balance is, but I can get you set up with a tune that has on-the-fly changable maps that run different mixtures and outputs so the driver and/or crew chief can make the call on the go.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #4801
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
That back straight at TWS was the site of many failed PR attempts due to the post 5-6 fuel starve
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #4802
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The flapper does not work. I've experienced starve with it as high as 7/8 of a tank (ethanol, FI).

OP is talking stock with a tune, not FI.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote