follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #435
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub512 View Post
Where I went for tint had a $99 tint deal that only carried a 3 yr warranty. That type has little effect on blocking heat. I had that type on my pickup truck in college and at about year 4 the bubbles started to form and peel back was starting. On my previous vehicle, I opted for the $200 midrange tint that had a lifetime warranty and some heat blocking. It never bubbled or peeled back (9 yrs) but was quite thin and scratched easily. Most places that carry metallic or ceramic tint can do a demo with a heat lamp or heat gun to show you how much more heat is blocked. It's like night and day. Yeah, it's quite shocking to see luxury vehicles out there that have bad tint jobs.
mind sharing the shop name? 399 is really steep but I'm all for functional tint cause my wife is real paranoid about skin cancer
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #436
FRSatx

Drives: UltraMarineFRS-MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My FRS needs tint. I am thinking of trying that sun tint place on 2222. I would rather not spend $300 but I would like to have nice tint that blocked UVrays and keep things cool inside. Guess ill find out this week. Probably going on wednesday.
FRSatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #437
FRSatx

Drives: UltraMarineFRS-MT
thanks @Zaggeron. I havent seen any brz/frs in town at all. So far I love the color. I had my tC in the same color before so I was already a fan.
FRSatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #438
mickey177

Drives: Whiteout AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
mind sharing the shop name? 399 is really steep but I'm all for functional tint cause my wife is real paranoid about skin cancer
Dude don't worry us orientals don't really get skin caner.lol
mickey177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #439
mickey177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
I've always wondered about tinting down here in TX. I've seen so many cars around 5-7 years old where there's just a crapload of bubbles between the window and tint film -- even on nice cars where I can't believe they skimpted out on the tint. Is it inevitable with our heat that 5 years down the road the tint job will look like crap?
I got a lifetime warranty tint job on my corrolla from car toyz back in 05.no bubbles no problem so far and its been 7 years and counting.even accidently putting out a ciggerette out on the film many time.just wiped it away no peeling or color change
Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #440
jdub512

Drives: Whiteout SCION FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
Sorry, I mentioned the shop name in my original post I think. I had my tint done at Mother's on S. Lamar. Their location on I-35/290 near Highland Mall has a larger showroom I believe. They do alarms and stereos like most other places. I've had tint jobs done at about 4 different places all over Austin and they've all done a good job. It's just preference I guess. Just make sure they are reputable and will re-do any work that doesn't meet your satisfaction.
jdub512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #441
luxmn
First FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey177 View Post
Dude don't worry us orientals don't really get skin caner.lol
haha i grew up in vietnam so i think i got skin cancer by the age of 7 anyway
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #442
luxmn
First FR-S

Quote:
Sorry, I mentioned the shop name in my original post I think. I had my tint done at Mother's on S. Lamar. Their location on I-35/290 near Highland Mall has a larger showroom I believe. They do alarms and stereos like most other places. I've had tint jobs done at about 4 different places all over Austin and they've all done a good job. It's just preference I guess. Just make sure they are reputable and will re-do any work that doesn't meet your satisfaction.
thanks. i've never been to their shop cause i hear that they're sketchy (their corny radio ad doesn't help their reputation much imo). when we do the meet (why aren't we having any ) i'd love to sit in yall to see how the tint works. Mine is stock clear cause I keep it in garage most of the time.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #443
mickey177

I am waiting on my Carmiso lip spolier to arrive. I am so anxious to see how it looks afterwards.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #444
jdub512

Drives: Whiteout SCION FR-S
Sorry if someone has posted this already but I'm too lazy to try and find it...

When I bought my FR-S last week, I noticed some plain looking Texas plates on the desk of the lady who would be mailing my new plates to me when they arrive. I asked her if those were custom and she said that no, they were the new Texas plates that everyone will be getting on new cars now. I was about to order the all black background plates but since these are free...
What do you guys think about them? Anyone already have them? I think they'll look great on my whiteout.

jdub512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #445
Linseal

Drives: Argento MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Yeah that was me!

Would anyone be interested in a weeknight meet? We could pick a coffee shop or restaurant somewhere?
Yeah I'm down. Any suggestions?
Linseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #446
Ocho-Seis

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Quote:

When I bought my FR-S last week, I noticed some plain looking Texas plates on the desk of the lady who would be mailing my new plates to me when they arrive. I asked her if those were custom and she said that no, they were the new Texas plates that everyone will be getting on new cars now. I was about to order the all black background plates but since these are free...
What do you guys think about them? Anyone already have them? I think they'll look great on my whiteout.

Not from Austin But I have them on my Raven, and I love the low profile look of this plate.....my number is pretty generic too and can pass as a custom one lol.
Ocho-Seis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #447
luxmn
First FR-S

if we want attention we can go to hopdaddy on south congress, good burgers and drinks with tons of pp and on a good day there are some non-member FRS/BRZ show up as well. Finding parking next to each other maybe tough though.

if we just want a big parking lot to hang out i've always liked Dave&Buster just because you can grab a drink in their bars in between.

in between those 2, another suggestion is the oyster bar Captain Perry on I-35 near Airport blvd. The food is crazy good and the parking lot is not too crowded most of the time.

i think wednesday is the best.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #448
luxmn
First FR-S

Quote:

I think the white letter on black looks a lot better (it aint free i know). i think this design is too plain without being classy.