follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2023, 11:03 PM   #4383
ChrisSC300

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Making the jump from DS to STR & Going to finally pull the trigger on coilovers. Just having a difficult time choosing between the SS2's & Tarmac 2's. Original plan was Tarmac 2's with the Pedders top hats (already purchased) for a goal of around -3.5 degrees of camber with as little NVH as possible. Now, with the release of the SS2's at the same price, i'm torn. Im a huge fan of everything already being assembled & the plug & play simplicity. Plus, when I ran the KWv3's on my S2000 I never touched the rebound dampening in the 2 years I ran them. Therefore 2 way adjustability may be overkill in my scenario.
2023 BRZ with Karcepts 0.875" front sway, OEM crash bolts, & will be running 245/40 17 Re71RS's.
Car is a daily but run competitive autocross roughly once a month. My main question is can I get around -3.5 of front camber with the SS2's and will they be quiet, lol (I really hate spherical top hat NVH on a daily).
Much appreciated as always & thanks for the support you provide the community.
ChrisSC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:02 PM   #4384
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,276 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC300 View Post
Making the jump from DS to STR & Going to finally pull the trigger on coilovers. Just having a difficult time choosing between the SS2's & Tarmac 2's. Original plan was Tarmac 2's with the Pedders top hats (already purchased) for a goal of around -3.5 degrees of camber with as little NVH as possible. Now, with the release of the SS2's at the same price, i'm torn. Im a huge fan of everything already being assembled & the plug & play simplicity. Plus, when I ran the KWv3's on my S2000 I never touched the rebound dampening in the 2 years I ran them. Therefore 2 way adjustability may be overkill in my scenario.
2023 BRZ with Karcepts 0.875" front sway, OEM crash bolts, & will be running 245/40 17 Re71RS's.
Car is a daily but run competitive autocross roughly once a month. My main question is can I get around -3.5 of front camber with the SS2's and will they be quiet, lol (I really hate spherical top hat NVH on a daily).
Much appreciated as always & thanks for the support you provide the community.
Hmmm...I will say that our camber plates are possibly the quietest out there. There's the slightest bit of a thud that's different from a rubber mount but it's very much daily driveable IMO. I mean, I did for a long time with our SS1s in Baltimore City which is the same camber plate. They also last a very long time. We haven't replaced any and our SS1s have been out for 6 years.

In terms of camber, MOST people can get -3.5 with the OEM crash bolts and our SS1 and SS2 coilover...but every car is a little different. Specifically, some cars are just uneven from the factory.

I think you'd be happy either way, but if you're not too concerned about 2 way adjustability, the SS2s is probably the way to go. It's fun for me to play with the adjusters but not everyone. There's maybe a bit more ceiling with the T2s and ability to go stiffer but that might not be very important for you.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:21 PM   #4385
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,461 Times in 6,164 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Speaking of playing with adjusters. Looking to run stiffer(?) settings on my T2s next autox, specifically for quick slaloms as the car feels a bit unsettled with 200tw tires in fast transitions. Any recommendations on methodology when hunting for subjectively better settings? Adjust everything evenly at once? Step up one setting all around, then the other? Work balance front to back? What order?

Currently on standard recommended settings for T2s.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:02 PM   #4386
Tomyyyu

Drives:
CSG and RCE tag-team suspension Q&A thread! Ask us anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Speaking of playing with adjusters. Looking to run stiffer(?) settings on my T2s next autox, specifically for quick slaloms as the car feels a bit unsettled with 200tw tires in fast transitions. Any recommendations on methodology when hunting for subjectively better settings? Adjust everything evenly at once? Step up one setting all around, then the other? Work balance front to back? What order?

Just posted under my profile in AutoX.

STR Build Help! 2nd Gen BRZ - RCE Tarmac 2s
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I’m honestly in a similar situation with the T2s, wondering if I should of just gone with RedShifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomyyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:50 AM   #4387
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomyyyu View Post
Just posted under my profile in AutoX.

STR Build Help! 2nd Gen BRZ - RCE Tarmac 2s
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I’m honestly in a similar situation with the T2s, wondering if I should of just gone with RedShifts.

You can absolutely use the adjusters on the T2s...that's why they're there! The recommended settings are a starting point, that's all. Especially for auto-x, you'll need to make a few tweaks to get the most out of the car for that very specific and almost unique use case. Especially for auto-x you'll want a bit more rebound.

I do recommend doing one end of the car at a time, doing rebound OR compression one a time, and taking good notes. You can always PM me on here or call and Myles will answer at almost any time of day too.

Two very good links below:

- Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-12-2023), Spuds (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #4388
Tomyyyu

Drives:
CSG and RCE tag-team suspension Q&A thread! Ask us anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You can absolutely use the adjusters on the T2s...that's why they're there! The recommended settings are a starting point, that's all. Especially for auto-x, you'll need to make a few tweaks to get the most out of the car for that very specific and almost unique use case. Especially for auto-x you'll want a bit more rebound.

I do recommend doing one end of the car at a time, doing rebound OR compression one a time, and taking good notes. You can always PM me on here or call and Myles will answer at almost any time of day too.

Two very good links below:

- Andrew

Awesome videos. I’ll definitely use these, especially the 2 way adjustable video.

Anywho - for rebound how can we confirm we are adjusting it correctly? Does rebound follow compression or does it go the opposite way. Would hate to find out I have been adjusting rebound incorrectly the whole time.

You folks say clockwise. So wanted to confirm.

Old 07-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #4389
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Awesome videos. I’ll definitely use these, especially the 2 way adjustable video.

Anywho - for rebound how can we confirm we are adjusting it correctly? Does rebound follow compression or does it go the opposite way. Would hate to find out I have been adjusting rebound incorrectly the whole time.

You folks say clockwise. So wanted to confirm.

I'm not sure what you mean by "follows." You adjust them independently, don't confuse yourself!

Just look at the knob...clockwise = stiffer
Or righty tighter = stiffer

For me, I like to turn to full stiff then count back to the desired setting. So clockwise to full stiff, then look at the 0 on the knob. To go 4 clicks back from full stiff, you turn counter-clockwise til the 4 is where the 0 used to be.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Tomyyyu (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 10:56 PM   #4390
Tomyyyu

Drives:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "follows." You adjust them independently, don't confuse yourself!

Just look at the knob...clockwise = stiffer
Or righty tighter = stiffer

For me, I like to turn to full stiff then count back to the desired setting. So clockwise to full stiff, then look at the 0 on the knob. To go 4 clicks back from full stiff, you turn counter-clockwise til the 4 is where the 0 used to be.

- Andrew

Appreciate it Andrew! Thanks for patience.

Any chance you guys have a recommended ride height for a 2023 BRZ on tarmac 2s? To avoid causing suspension geometry issues by going too low.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #4391
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Appreciate it Andrew! Thanks for patience.

Any chance you guys have a recommended ride height for a 2023 BRZ on tarmac 2s? To avoid causing suspension geometry issues by going too low.

Start at 30mm lower than stock front and rear. A little bit of forward rake can help, meaning having the front a smidge lower than the rear. This will help reduce understeer. (For example, 35mm front and 30mm rear drop).

- Andrew
Old 07-14-2023, 11:44 AM   #4392
dlb500

Drives: BRZ
Rear Sway Bar

Am considering installing a 16mm rear sway bar off of a 2013 Impreza WRX on my 2013 BRZ (currently with stock sway bars, 14mm rear, 18mm front).
Another options would be a 17mm rear sway bar off of a 2017 Forrester.
Running RCE Tarmac springs with Bilstein B8 shocks, Carbing front strut bar brace, summer tires & 2016 TRD wheels (7X17, ET43 if I remember correctly).
I also have a whiteline 22mm front bar but have not installed it yet, not sure whether or not that may would be just too much or would that be recommended ?
Also have bought (but not installed) poly bushings for the stock sway bars which may could be another option.
Any comments ?
Car is just used for a daily driver.

Last edited by dlb500; 07-14-2023 at 01:43 PM.
dlb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:24 PM   #4393
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb500 View Post
Am considering installing a 16mm rear sway bar off of a 2013 Impreza WRX on my 2013 BRZ (currently with stock sway bars, 14mm rear, 18mm front).
Another options would be a 17mm rear sway bar off of a 2017 Forrester.
Running RCE Tarmac springs with Bilstein B8 shocks, Carbing front strut bar brace, summer tires & 2016 TRD wheels (7X17, ET43 if I remember correctly).
I also have a whiteline 22mm front bar but have not installed it yet, not sure whether or not that may would be just too much or would that be recommended ?
Also have bought (but not installed) poly bushings for the stock sway bars which may could be another option.
Any comments ?
Car is just used for a daily driver.
Wouldn't recommend JUST the 16 or 17mm rear bar. The 22m front with that would be okay though.

You could just do the 15mm rear OEM bar from 2017-2020 models if you want to do just 1.

What's your main goal? Just sharper overall handling and faster response? More grip and higher limits? What's your alignment like?

- Andrew
Old 07-14-2023, 08:08 PM   #4394
dlb500

Sway bars

Quote:
Wouldn't recommend JUST the 16 or 17mm rear bar. The 22m front with that would be okay though.

You could just do the 15mm rear OEM bar from 2017-2020 models if you want to do just 1.

What's your main goal? Just sharper overall handling and faster response? More grip and higher limits? What's your alignment like?

- Andrew
Thanks for the quick response Andrew !
Goal is just sharper overall handling.
Alignment is just original (never adjusted).
Sounds like I should get the alignment done, roughly -1.0 ~ -2.0 camber front & -1.0 camber rear if that even could be adjusted, possibly with Eibach front bolts with the cam adjustment in the front ? Camber plates sounds like would start to run into more $ including labor to install. Not sure for rear.
I’m just trying to research whether to even do the sway bars at all other than perhaps poly bushings in the OEM ones.
If were to go with the 22mm front bar then I assume a 17mm rear would pair best with that ? Still not sure if should go that route though.

Last edited by dlb500; 07-17-2023 at 07:29 AM.
dlb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #4395
J95

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I plan to install coilovers and I wonder how safe it is to drop around 1.2'', in regards to the CV damage and rear axles.

There are plenty of cases of broken axle, but normally I see that the drop was higher. Is 1.2'' already enough to consider differential riser?

I use my car mixed DD and track
J95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #4396
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by J95 View Post
I plan to install coilovers and I wonder how safe it is to drop around 1.2'', in regards to the CV damage and rear axles.

There are plenty of cases of broken axle, but normally I see that the drop was higher. Is 1.2'' already enough to consider differential riser?

I use my car mixed DD and track
IMO 1.2 inches is nothing to worry about.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
J95 (09-19-2023)