follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #421
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
48mm offset will limit strut clearance/camber so that wheel will need spacers and extended studs. Mechanic types may not mind but I don't want to fool with that stuff if I don't have to. I would take a heavier wheel with a 40mm offset.
+1. There's other models available elsewhere that are closer to ideal specs than that OZ. I suppose I'd still like some clarification (should write a letter) on the wheel weight, as it pertains to "parts of the wheel."

1-Are centering rings part of the wheel?
2-Are spacers part of the wheel?
3-Are balancing weights part of the wheel?
4-Are we just going on published mfr data?

Left to my own biases, I'd think only #3 would fly, but I can see any combination of those as not being terribly unreasonable ways for defining things.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #422
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
+1. There's other models available elsewhere that are closer to ideal specs than that OZ. I suppose I'd still like some clarification (should write a letter) on the wheel weight, as it pertains to "parts of the wheel."

Left to my own biases, I'd think only #3 would fly, but I can see any combination of those as not being terribly unreasonable ways for defining things.
I'd tend to agree with your presumption that only #3 would apply. I guess we will see, once a more defined set of rules is published.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #423
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glue the centering rings to the wheel. They're now part of the wheel "as-raced". 949racing 17x8 +40 wheels with lead centering rings.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #424
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post

I thought I saw somewhere in the street class rules that, for the purpose of determining stock offset at least, stock wheel spacers were considered part of the stock wheel.

If we go only by manufacturer listings, then we could end up with the same BS we got when we decided to define 200TW as whatever a given manufacture says is 200TW. We also have the issue of unlisted weights. This is usually with heavy wheels but unlisted shouldn't mean illegal when weight is easy to verify. At least with TW, every DOT tire has it listed on the tire. Wheel weights....not so much. I don't want a 20lb wheel to be illegal because the weight isn't listed and I don't want 12lb wheel to be legal if a manufacturer decides to list it as 17lbs.

The ballast rules for classes that have minimum weights just say it needs to be secure. I don't remember seeing that ballast specifically needed to be "part of" the car.

Valve stems and wheel weights are secured to wheels as is a coat of paint.

I personally would not object to including hub-centric rings and spacers so long as they are safe.

Last edited by Twinz; 09-19-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #425
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I'm staying in CS, but my plan is to buy a set of MCS next year, it's just a terrible time of the year for me to lay down cash for anything car-related.

No issues with the bushings after 5+ years of autocross with a few ProSolos in there and no plans to replace with an aftermarket version... I'll replace with OEM if I ever see the need to replace. I have not heard bushings raised as an issue in the Street classes. I have had to replace/re-lube my sway bar bushings once every year or two.
I've got a set of the 2-way non-remotes coming off the car soon, send me a PM if you're interested. I rarely come on the forum anymore so PM is probably the best way so I know to log in and check

They will be off the car in early October once my Konis come in. These are the Street class legal variants (the 'standard' shorter body is not Street legal). It comes with spring perches for OEM and OEM-like (TRD) springs. I also purchased a separate set of 60mm spring perches for aftermarket 60mm springs in case I wanted to go STX that I can throw in too. Those are a little over $100 if you buy separately. I also have the dyno plots from MCS for the front and rear. Shocks have one season of autocross on them and about 8k~ street miles (3k~ of which is driving back and forth to Nationals). Performance wise, they've been great, I've been very happy with them. Sad to see them go but I can't use them in SSC.

Hard to explain this briefly but they are also eligible for a free rebuild/service from MCS as a part of a warranty job. Basically the shocks in the current configuration (OEM Springs, stock ride height), the rears make a rattling/knocking noise when driving over broken pavement/bumps at lower speed. At higher speeds and smoother roads like highway the noise isn't there. This seems to be somewhat normal based on what the MCS webpage says...

Quote:
Because of the confined internal packaging, users may experience some level of noise from the correct and standard function of this damper.

http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/2wnr/
..and I know some other high performance shocks are similar as well.

Anyway, I contacted MCS about the noise and they said that my set was manufactured before they did a change over to a newer design of some parts which helps with this. MCS offered me a no-cost warranty service that replaces the older components with the newer redesigned components. The job basically rebuilds the shock as well. Since the noise has no issue on performance of the shock and the car isn't my DD, it didn't bother me all that much so they suggested to run the shocks until it needed a rebuild/service before sending them in since I'd be getting a free rebuild out of it. Since the shocks were still basically brand new it made sense to me to run the car for a while first. I've already been in touch with MCS and they will honor that warranty service for the next owner. MCS is really good about this stuff and my experience with them has been great.

Anyway, if you or anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 09-19-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
Biggins (09-19-2017), G_Ride (09-19-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #426
edj

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
@edj if you wanna sell them for a REALLY good deal, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
it will probably be $2300 for the shocks, OEM springs and top hats shipped. easy
swap out of your current struts.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #427
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
I'll be moving out of DS to SSC and just like two others above, there may be a set of street legal two-way remote reservoir MCS shocks coming onto the market. It's complicated, because I'm not going to be the one selling them personally, if they are for sale, but if there is any interest in this top shelf version of the MCS's, let me know.

I'll also have two sets of Kosei 17x7 wheels for sell I'd imagine.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #428
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'll put it this way, if anyone wants to give me their used MCS as an early-wedding gift I'll happily invite you to my wedding.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #429
edj

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I'll put it this way, if anyone wants to give me their used MCS as an early-wedding gift I'll happily invite you to my wedding.
just think of it as your wedding present to your new bride?
The Following User Says Thank You to edj For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #430
em99sport
Corvette convert

Drives: 2013 FR-S
For anyone remaining in CS/DS, I'm selling my MCS 2-ways:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122229
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #431
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I knew MCS shocks were supposed to be awesome, but I had no idea so many people were running them. I will probably have a set of off-the-shelf one-season Koni yellows up for sale in a couple months
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #432
Plaid Man

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Raven
I also am planning on making the switch to SSC. Here is another set of MCS 2WNR for sale:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122292
Plaid Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #433
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,484 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
For people like me who aren't well connected yet:

http://apexjunky.com/2017/10/ultimat...8z-xg.facebook
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cueball89 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #434
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
For people like me who aren't well connected yet:

http://apexjunky.com/2017/10/ultimat...8z-xg.facebook
Read it yesterday.

It's interesting results but there's a lot of variables still to this. The FR-S is the only one on two way MCS and then the RS is on Konis. Civic and Camaro still on OEM shocks. I know Mark and Des have said they don't feel the Camaro would get much out of shock and sway bar upgrades but it would certainly gain something, right?

Another thing is familiarity with the cars. Annie drives an STX FR-S and has driven them in STX basically since they came out in 2013, Mark used to drive a twin in STX too (???), and I don't know Justin Moore so not sure what he's driven before.

Kind of shocked the RS did so poorly. I knew it struggled in BS this year but wow. Also expected the Civic Type-R to do better. When we see more development for that car will it get stronger results?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote