follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
jdrxb9

Drives: ND2, formerly BRZ (MT/CBS)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am over 1100 miles and I've had concern with my 1->2 gearchange for a while now. Especially for the very first 1->2 shift in the morning there is A LOT of resistence felt in the shifter and if forced through it will occasionally grind. Once the car is warmed up, even just a couple miles, it is much better. I don't have any problems with any other gears. I will be talking to the dealer about it soon.
jdrxb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrxb9 View Post
I am over 1100 miles and I've had concern with my 1->2 gearchange for a while now. Especially for the very first 1->2 shift in the morning there is A LOT of resistence felt in the shifter and if forced through it will occasionally grind. Once the car is warmed up, even just a couple miles, it is much better. I don't have any problems with any other gears. I will be talking to the dealer about it soon.
Try this:
-From standing idle rpm double-clutch in neutral then shift into first (Useful when fluid is colder than normal operating temperature.).
-Accelerate in first, noting the indicated matching speeds and rpms at three points within the operational range. Practice your downshifts at preselected speeds and blip accelerator pedal to match the rpm previously noted. In practice, you will likely be shifting down at the higher rpm.
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
jdrxb9

Drives: ND2, formerly BRZ (MT/CBS)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicSneakers View Post
Try this:
-From standing idle rpm double-clutch in neutral then shift into first (Useful when fluid is colder than normal operating temperature.).
-Accelerate in first, noting the indicated matching speeds and rpms at three points within the operational range. Practice your downshifts at preselected speeds and blip accelerator pedal to match the rpm previously noted. In practice, you will likely be shifting down at the higher rpm.
Note I am not having a problem shifting 2->1. With appropriate rev matching and especially with a quick double clutch to raise the input shaft speed, 2nd to 1st downshifts are not a problem. My issue is shifting 1st to 2nd, especially when cold. I probably should have put in my first post that I've been driving MT cars for 20+ years. Also, have never had a clutch or transmission issue in that time.
jdrxb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
ToxicSneakers
Deleted

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Note I am not having a problem shifting 2->1. With appropriate rev matching and especially with a quick double clutch to raise the input shaft speed, 2nd to 1st downshifts are not a problem. My issue is shifting 1st to 2nd, especially when cold. I probably should have put in my first post that I've been driving MT cars for 20+ years. Also, have never had a clutch or transmission issue in that time.
Think I quoted the wrong post in error, excuse my dyslexic response please!
ToxicSneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #33
davisk6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I've had this happen with almost every modern manual I've owed since 2000. My Subaru's demonstrated this the worst. From my experience, this is due to the fluid used. Most factory Subaru fluid is pretty thin, to allow for quick warm up and better shifting in colder climates. The drawback is that, when the transmission is completely cold, and due to the close gear ratios used between 1st and 2nd, you'll get clunky shifts with the occasional grind.

If this is a major issue for you, and you don't live in a climate that gets very cold, like the Northeast, you can step up your transmission fluid to something thicker. The downside to this is, if the temperature does drop to say 30F, it will be harder to shift into 1st and 2nd, but you won't grind at all. I've used Motul in the past with great results. I've had mixed results with Redline.
davisk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Brought my car to the dealership and took a ride with an experienced mechanic. He liked the car a lot. What he told me was that transmissions in a RWD car had less room and therefore used smaller synchronizers than FWD cars. Since I have driven FWD cars for the last 17 years and Hondas at that, I have been comparing two different transmission styles. I don't know enough about transmissions to verify what he said, but in any case, I now have the concern registered with the dealership. If the crunchiness issue doesn't get worse, that's fine. It's something I can live with.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
flippy (12-06-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #35
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Brought my car to the dealership and took a ride with an experienced mechanic. He liked the car a lot. What he told me was that transmissions in a RWD car had less room and therefore used smaller synchronizers than FWD cars. Since I have driven FWD cars for the last 17 years and Hondas at that, I have been comparing two different transmission styles. I don't know enough about transmissions to verify what he said, but in any case, I now have the concern registered with the dealership. If the crunchiness issue doesn't get worse, that's fine. It's something I can live with.
Smart move, keep a paper trail. Keep us updated with any new developments!
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #36
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Indeed, I always reported any issues I had with the car when I took my Si in for service. If you have a record of issues before the warranty is up, there is a good chance they will do the repair on "good faith" once you are just barely out of warranty.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #37
pyro530

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Just a couple of notes, I have been using manual shift cars for thirty years and never had a transmission that required service, or had to replace a clutch (even after 155,000 original miles). So, my shift style is not to blame. The problem is inconsistent, but appears to be getting worse, so I will be bringing it to the attention of the dealer. The issue appears when getting into first for the initial start up and then into second gear. Example: heavy traffic, I slow down a bit while in second, then switch into neutral, I put the car back into second, at about 22 mph, but it takes a fair amount of push and noise to get it back into gear. The overall feeling of getting into gear at this point is not smooth at all. The feeling is similar to well-worn synchros on an old transmission. What I wanted to know is if other people are experiencing this.
Yes.
When I first get in the car in the AM 2nd gear requires a little muscle to get into and sometimes I can feel a couple cogs slipping by as it does go into gear.
I was just thinking it was because it's a new transmission and everything is a little tight.
Past: 1994 Integra - Sold | 2005 Dodge SRT-4 - Totaled by Hail | 1997 Acura 2.2 CL slowmobile - Sold | 1991 BMW E30 - Sold | 1991 Acura Integra GS - Wrecked | 1971 Chevy C-10 shortbed stepside - Sold | 1973 Camaro Z-28 Clone - Stolen
pyro530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaba View Post
If you have resistance shifting to 1st before completely stopped that's normal with any car .
What he said!

I've never driven a car that will easily shift to first once the car is moving.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
csaba (07-15-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
After 3,000 miles, the "crunchiness" of the 2nd gear is much reduced. Shifting is much smoother, except when the engine/transmission are cold.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #40
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
1st gear should only be used to get the car moving. Once you're rolling, 2nd gear should be adequate. This goes for all cars, not just the FR-S.
Well if you apply any throttle in 2nd gear and aren't around 10-12 MPH it lugs bad in this car, so I find myself in 1st usually to 12-15 mph under normal acceleration
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #41
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
the car doesnt sound like it likes second gear at low rpms. i never used 1st gear after moving in my speed 3, but the brz i tend to shift into first if im crawling <5 mph. I have to go over a curb/speedbump everyday and it shifts into first with no extra effort at very low speeds. would never try it going more then 5mph.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #42
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
I also have issues shifting into 2nd when car is cold. Once warmed up its easier. I think its a 'feature', rather than a problem (based on other people's experience), but will keep monitoring. Im only at 500km or so.
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote