follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #29
xnickx

Drives: SXE10 3SGE+T Altezza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have sent an email to the Admin team to see if they want to add a Club/Forum supporter to this club but awaiting a reply.

Some clubs we support already (feedback on those forums too!)
JZXWorld - Australia
AltezzaClub - NZ/Australia
TezzaWorld - Ireland
JZS147 Club - Australia
xnickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #30
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
I'm really noob when it comes to suspension, I'll see how i go on the stock suspension, if not satisfied i'll change them, is there suspension sets that can be used for road and track ,or say if i want a comfy and smooth cruise, i can either manually set it up before i hop on, then when I want to bring the car to life on the track or just want to feel the road a lot more, i just adjust it and ready to go? not sure if there is anything like that.

I agree on the Euro suspensions my parents B'mer OH MY GAWD! its smooth...absorbs the bumps compared to Jap springs they are PITA sometimes. I think it all comes down on how much I'm willing to spend on a set of suspension kit...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #31
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
it's still very early days for the 86/BRZ and i'd personally enjoy the stock car first. it should be a very good stock system already and i suspect that cheapish aftermarket parts might be a backward step.

so i suggest wait for a while to let more companies to do R&D and release their products. look out for feedbacks from owners then select whatever products suit you best.

not saying JDM stuffs are bad but this time i'm likely to go for euro brands. i have KW in mind and likely to get a set of V1 or V2.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #32
Staticfrost
Banned

Drives: Eight Six
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnickx View Post
Have sent an email to the Admin team to see if they want to add a Club/Forum supporter to this club but awaiting a reply.

Some clubs we support already (feedback on those forums too!)
JZXWorld - Australia
AltezzaClub - NZ/Australia
TezzaWorld - Ireland
JZS147 Club - Australia
Awesome work!! I can some GB happening soon :d
Staticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #33
Staticfrost
Banned

Drives: Eight Six
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey90 View Post
I'm really noob when it comes to suspension, I'll see how i go on the stock suspension, if not satisfied i'll change them, is there suspension sets that can be used for road and track ,or say if i want a comfy and smooth cruise, i can either manually set it up before i hop on, then when I want to bring the car to life on the track or just want to feel the road a lot more, i just adjust it and ready to go? not sure if there is anything like that.

I agree on the Euro suspensions my parents B'mer OH MY GAWD! its smooth...absorbs the bumps compared to Jap springs they are PITA sometimes. I think it all comes down on how much I'm willing to spend on a set of suspension kit...
Lol comparing a BMW to a what Jap car? if its not a Lexus then you aren't really comparing apple with apples.
Staticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #34
sho

Drives: s2000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey90 View Post
I'm really noob when it comes to suspension, I'll see how i go on the stock suspension, if not satisfied i'll change them, is there suspension sets that can be used for road and track
Come down to a track day with everything stock and see if you like it before you start to play around and buy parts

MDTC - 100 bucks for open day
Wakefield - 150? i think maybe less for open day
EC - a lot more $

As Nardi said it could be going backwards when getting el chepo branded coils but it also I think personal preference plays a major part as well... One of the guys I track with prefers his Buddy club coils over his stock Bilstens on the track. I'm not sure how to describe it (as im no suspension expert) but it felt like there was more travel in the coil? in the coil units of the Bilstens which gave the car some what flex or more comfort instead of being harsh and too stiff? Whereas he was one of the guys who likes stiff and no roll whatsoever hence he preferred the buddy clubs and ran faster times in it as he was more comfortable with it being super stiff so level of confidence was higher

Most aftermarket suspensions you can adjust dampering settings so you can adjust the stiffness as you please when you hit the track or road or if your like me just set it up for the track and leave it at that setting since it can be a PITA readjusting and remembering how many clicks for damper and clicks for rebound not to mention going under the car to reach the rebound knob (if its 2 way)
Oh and there are brands out there where they don't give you a big knob to twist/dial in your adjustments and provide you with a tiny allen key to use to dial in or make adjustments which can also be a pain. not sure about v1 and v2 but v3 kw's has this allen key dial

Then it gets a bit more complex after that with low speed compression, high speed compression and rebound dampering (3way) and theres 4way as well LOL

3way and 4way, if you don't adjust it right then you can lose heaps of time off your lap even I wouldn't have any idea how to adjust these bad boys lol so buy buying the top spec of coils doesn't make you any faster unless you can use it and tune it

Springs could play a part on stiffness but I kinda doubt that jap branded springs are stiffer than non jdm springs? (referring to say 10kg jdm vs 10kg non jdm branded springs and not 10kg non jdm springs to 18kg jdm springs lol) I think its more to so do with the damper speed and travel?
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho For This Useful Post:
davey90 (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'm going to try and hit up RS*R USA in the morning. Will try and find out how much their Sports-i coil-overs are (the one's Moto-P is running around on) delivered to Perth. Any one else interested? Maybe we can get a group buy going on...

As for TRD gear, now i'm only interested in the spoiler and window guards... and maybe an oil filler cap

On the road. Check your mirrors!
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirus For This Useful Post:
stevo_12v (06-13-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnickx View Post
I do it for a living, I am the TRD Distributor for New Zealand.
Will be arrive to me in NZ but I already have a few dealers in Australia (esp TRD pulled out of Australia) and mainly car clubs throughout the world from here in NZ all the way as far as Ireland!

All packed by Toyota in Japan on behalf of Technocraft TRD

And yes we have shipped many containers (distributors for many performance brands in NZ including being a Toyota dealer and TRD/Cusco/T&E Vertex distributor)

Shall get pics of the actual TRD parts that have arrived in stock already tomorrow and post up
U are going to become the threads main man i think lol.... I need both TRD and Cusco bits... What else do u regularly stock and are ur prices online competitive?
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
The TRD coils are going to be pretty expensive like 3.5k delivered min. RSR i $3k, HKS hypermax 2.5k, tein flex 2.5k

prices from yahoo japan + low shipping cost

Link to translated 86 search
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #38
xnickx

Drives: SXE10 3SGE+T Altezza
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86GOD View Post
U are going to become the threads main man i think lol.... I need both TRD and Cusco bits... What else do u regularly stock and are ur prices online competitive?
Will carry most of the TRD gear in stock, making a Cusco order end of the month and will probably carry atleast 2 of everything!

Images of the TRD stuff that has arrived thus far:

Pads:

Air filter:

Oil filler cap:

What else is on order for stock (due approx 2 weeks)

And on order for our own Demo GT86 hehe!

Can do pricing just flick me an email to
nick@nst.co.nz
xnickx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xnickx For This Useful Post:
Staticfrost (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
sirus
86 Owner

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Got an email from RS*R USA. Sports-i coilovers shipped around the US$2K mark.

Anyone else interested?

On the road. Check your mirrors!
sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirus For This Useful Post:
Staticfrost (06-06-2012), stevo_12v (06-13-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus View Post
Got an email from RS*R USA. Sports-i coilovers shipped around the US$2K mark.

Anyone else interested?
this price is quite good. i'm tempted!! i'd like the same spec as Moto's.

get it while AUD is still high? lol

edit: there are 2 specs of Sport I, with/without pillow ball. i assume the price about is without?

Last edited by Nardi330; 06-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #41
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho View Post
Come down to a track day with everything stock and see if you like it before you start to play around and buy parts

MDTC - 100 bucks for open day
Wakefield - 150? i think maybe less for open day
EC - a lot more $

As Nardi said it could be going backwards when getting el chepo branded coils but it also I think personal preference plays a major part as well... One of the guys I track with prefers his Buddy club coils over his stock Bilstens on the track. I'm not sure how to describe it (as im no suspension expert) but it felt like there was more travel in the coil? in the coil units of the Bilstens which gave the car some what flex or more comfort instead of being harsh and too stiff? Whereas he was one of the guys who likes stiff and no roll whatsoever hence he preferred the buddy clubs and ran faster times in it as he was more comfortable with it being super stiff so level of confidence was higher

Most aftermarket suspensions you can adjust dampering settings so you can adjust the stiffness as you please when you hit the track or road or if your like me just set it up for the track and leave it at that setting since it can be a PITA readjusting and remembering how many clicks for damper and clicks for rebound not to mention going under the car to reach the rebound knob (if its 2 way)
Oh and there are brands out there where they don't give you a big knob to twist/dial in your adjustments and provide you with a tiny allen key to use to dial in or make adjustments which can also be a pain. not sure about v1 and v2 but v3 kw's has this allen key dial

Then it gets a bit more complex after that with low speed compression, high speed compression and rebound dampering (3way) and theres 4way as well LOL

3way and 4way, if you don't adjust it right then you can lose heaps of time off your lap even I wouldn't have any idea how to adjust these bad boys lol so buy buying the top spec of coils doesn't make you any faster unless you can use it and tune it

Springs could play a part on stiffness but I kinda doubt that jap branded springs are stiffer than non jdm springs? (referring to say 10kg jdm vs 10kg non jdm branded springs and not 10kg non jdm springs to 18kg jdm springs lol) I think its more to so do with the damper speed and travel?
I'll take you up on that offer! i'll come track day with you, i'll have to wear in the engine first, do we even have to do that any more (some peeps say we do and others say we don't since our technology has advanced in producing engines) better to be safe then sorry, right?

Will I need to grab a CAMS license?

by the way, i'm noob, never been on tracks before...always wanted to try! xD
so is this a sprint event (time attack)?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #42
sho

Drives: s2000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I would like to get at least 1 track day in before end of july so let me know when your ready :P

you don't have to have a cams l2s license and can just buy the track license
MDTC from memory was 20 bucks a year for a license and Wakefield was 50?

cams l2s is 90ish a year and you have to be a member of a cams affiliated club which is another cost for a yearly membership or 3 year member (depending on the club i guess)
With the l2s license, you will never need to buy a track license

Open track days are like practice days where people rock up and just do laps without official timing. You can do your own timing however but it won't be official :P

You can do super sprints if you want but you will need a cams license.
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho For This Useful Post:
davey90 (06-06-2012)