follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #29
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
LMAO

Name:  racist.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  21.4 KB
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sklimo For This Useful Post:
Shagaliscious (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklimo View Post
Google is really racist.
Attached Images

Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shagaliscious For This Useful Post:
sklimo (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #31
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
I cannot disagree more with that. Closing our
eyes and hoping it goes away because it's an uncomfortable topic doesn't make it go away.

No you're right, the only way to eliminate racism is to keep shoving it back into people's faces and rubbing their noses in it. I'm supposed to be ashamed that I'm white. Lets keep making it a front page topic and perpetuate the idea that racism is still as strong as ever.

I don't think anyone is trying to ignore history; of course a lot of Americans are ashamed about slavery just as most Germans are ashamed of the whole Hitler thing. To "stop talking about it" is simply a way to prove that we're trying to move on and recognize equality in each other.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #32
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
I am so offend. JK

I think the problem with Michael Righards opinions in that email is that he begins to sound defensive and resentful.

I'm all for embracing our differences, especially with a sense of humor, but the best way to eliminate racism is to stop talking about it.

AMEN!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #33
raven1231

Quote:
I cannot disagree more with that. Closing our
eyes and hoping it goes away because it's an uncomfortable topic doesn't make it go away.

I think the point he is trying to make is we make racism what it is. We separate humans into categories based on skin color or ethnicity. We see each other as black, white, asian, middle eastern, ect.... rather than as humans. The minute we remove the categories which set us apart from one another is the minute we unite as one people.
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #34
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
No you're right, the only way to eliminate racism is to keep shoving it back into people's faces and rubbing their noses in it. I'm supposed to be ashamed that I'm white. Lets keep making it a front page topic and perpetuate the idea that racism is still as strong as ever.

I don't think anyone is trying to ignore history; of course a lot of Americans are ashamed about slavery just as most Germans are ashamed of the whole Hitler thing. To "stop talking about it" is simply a way to prove that we're trying to move on and recognize equality in each other.
What makes you think that racism isn't as strong as ever? Just because people aren't burning crosses or executing kids for looking at a white woman doesn't mean that the sentiment doesn't exist nor are the social and institutional structures that allowed people to get away with it gone.

Did you even read my Atwater quote?

And no one is shaming you for being white. I get it: you didn't own slaves and no one alive owned slaves, but that doesn't mean that we aren't still affected by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
I think the point he is trying to make is we make racism what it is. We separate humans into categories based on skin color or ethnicity. We see each other as black, white, asian, middle eastern, ect.... rather than as humans. The minute we remove the categories which set us apart from one another is the minute we unite as one people.
So who decides what the baseline is for "acceptable human" behavior? Who decides what is superior?

Last edited by AznBRZer; 04-23-2014 at 07:46 PM.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #35
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
What makes you think that racism isn't as strong as ever? Just because people aren't burning crosses or executing kids for looking at a white woman doesn't mean that the sentiment doesn't exist nor are the social and institutional structures that allowed people to get away with it gone.

And no one is shaming you for being white. I get it: you didn't own slaves and no one alive owned slaves, but that doesn't mean that we aren't still affected by it.

So who decides what the baseline is for "acceptable human" behavior? Who decides what is superior?
What? How is that a response to what I said????
Old 04-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #36
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
A friend a while back commented that the only twin owners he sees are Asians. He now bunches them with the 370Z owners whom are also majority Asians to him.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #37
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

If that's what it takes to have a serious conversation about race then so be it. Yes, things are much better than they used to be, but there is work to be done.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-23-2014), NemesisPrime909 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #38
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
What? How is that a response to what I said????
People are not born on a level playing field. Taking away labels that describe race or ethnicity doesn't magically make it one nor does it change the circumstances that evolve from it. You're obviously not talking about rebuilding civilization from scratch and making everyone equal, thus leaving existing inequities in place, so what difference does it make if people are black, white, Asian, or Hindu? Who decides which one of those, or neither of those for that matter, is "normal" or "mainstream?" Why is "mainstream" considered mainstream? And what does it mean to not subscribe to mainstream culture?

Doing away with labels only shifts oppression from racism onto regionalism and classism.

Complex sociological concepts aren't solved by simply doing away with labels. Groups will simply find another way to otherize another group with new vocabulary.

You solve inequity by eliminating inequity; not by removing the vocabulary around it.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #39
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
This is a good discussion, I don't want it to grenade... We're seeing the same problem from polar opposite approaches and I'm beginning to think we share the same opinions on some things.

Quote:
Yes, that exactly. We're not burning crosses, we're not whipping slaves, we're not segregating bathrooms or making anyone sit anywhere on a bus. We can ALL vote. I've met Mexican, Asian, Russian, African, Irish, Jewish, and (insert race here) business owners who are all very successful. Have you seen our president?

You're right, there are residual elements, such as affirmative action, random bigotry, special government/social programs based on race... Whatever it may be, continuing to segregate (even if it's only statistical) and provide special treatments (good or bad) based on race is perpetuating the problem and it all begins to fade when we stop making race so important when it's actually irrelevant. Many of these things were intended to aid, but ultimately are a detriment and cause more problems.

We all agree it's an ongoing issue, but it's a ginormous leap from what it used to be. A fizzle of a sentiment doesn't mean it's a burning epidemic.

Quote:

Yes I did read it, and as wonderfully insightful as it is, it seems to potentially seek out racism where it may not exist. I do believe that we incite racism by seemingly harmless means (which is what Atwater was getting at, I believe). Take a job application for instance, that requires you to fill out race and sex. Why is this relevant to the job? It's because we keep pushing the racism topic and making it forefront where it needs to be made irrelevant. Eliminate this kind of bullshit, stop making racism a hot topic and (I believe) it fades even more.

And yes I am shamed for being white. We carry a stain from or history that may never fade if racism keeps being popularized. We're not allowed to have the pride other races have. We're not allowed to have white-only scholarships or white only dating services. If we do have pride, we're instantly labelled as hateful racist bigoted pigs that are a disease to society. I'm not allowed to be offended by being called racist terms. I'm supposed to endure the burden because my ancestors did horrible things.

It's a double standard because we make it a double standard. It's an issue because we make race an issue. For instance, if we have a Rosa Parks Scholarship for some related education program, GREAT! Acknowledging a historical event is one thing, making it only available to black applicants is racist. If a young white male won the scholarship, would that be racist? Only if we choose to make it so.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #40
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Aunt Jemima
Beaner
Bluegum
Bootlip
Brownie
Buddhahead
Burrhead
Camel jockey
Chinaman
Ch*nk
Christ killer
Cholo
Coon
Cracker
Crow
Dago
Darky
Dink
Dot head
Dune coon
Flip
Gaijin
Gook
Greaser
Gringo
Guido
Guinea
Hajji
Half-breed
Heeb
Hillbilly
Honky
Ikey
Injun
Jap
Jigaboo
Jungle bunny
Kike
Kraut
Limey
Mick
Niglet
N*gger
Nip
Oreo
Paddy
Pancake Face
Peckerwood
Pikey
Polack
Pommy
Porch monkey
Prairie n*gger
Raghead
Redneck
Redskin
Round eye
Sand n*gger
Sand monkey
Slant-eye
Slope
Spade
Spearchucker
Spic
Spook
Squarehead
Squaw
Squinty
Tar-Baby
Towel head
Uncle Tom
Wetback
Wigger
Whitey
Wop
Yank
Yellow
Yankee
Yid
Zip
Zipperhead

Now that that's out in the open.........

They're just words. People get too offended from them. Maybe they're insecure about their own inner racism. But I do agree with Morgan Freeman in his video. There doesn't need to be a black history month, white history month, ect. Doing things like that and making it "okay" for one group and not another keeps racism alive and well. Same thing with colleges, scholarships, ect. It really needs to be an all or nothing. Either acceptable for all groups or unacceptable for all.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
wheelhaus (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #41
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What would we do for white history month?
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #42
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
What would we do for white history month?

Dance bad
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sklimo For This Useful Post:
airjonny (04-24-2014), n2oinferno (04-24-2014), Shagaliscious (04-24-2014), wheelhaus (04-24-2014), zenki_levin (04-24-2014)