follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #29
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Don't get your hopes up. To eek out another 50hp on this motor would likely entail more aggressive variable timing, tuning, higher redline, and probably boring out the motor.

I/H/E/tune on a 2.0L, you might, might get 20hp tops. but dont count on it. The car is pretty well optimized at 200, any gains will be expensive and require mods that are generally best done by the factory.
I'm not expecting 50 hp from intake and exhaust alone, but if he says himself that there is definitely room for improvement on the intake and exhaust, then that means they didn't even attempt to maximize it's power output. +20 more hp for these mods, plus the lighter weight of an aftermarket exhaust (the stock one is pretty heavy) I think will do a lot for this car.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
global marketing manager Atoshi Atake, said
that's all i need to know. whatever he says is probably PR bullshite...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
mrtodd
Techmology.

Drives: Scrapped project EH2
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
The FA20 can be engineered to attain +50 or +80 HP if you let engineers have at it without reserve (extreme case of a car without compromise: MP4-12C). +50 NA HP would be awesome but also awesomely expensive. As a massed-produced car, they also have to consider cost, reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. and dial back a bit. Probably the most direct way to achieve this starts by increasing displacement.
Getting an extra 50HP out of this will be easy - especially considering the high C/R and the presence of direct injection. Here's some food for thought - consider the first generation Honda S2000, in the states it produced 240hp at the crank, in Japan it was 250hp. In the Honda community people were able to increase this number with simple bolt-ons, increase C/R, and minor tuning. Shit, there was even a company that improved the air flow CFM on the intake and exhaust porting on the head. All of this out of a 2-liter engine who's compression ratio was lower and lacked direct injection. If you think Subaru has to increase displacement to realistically achieve a goal of production @ 250hp, then their R&D department doesn't know shit about building NA engines. I really doubt they'll increase displacement. To be honest, chances are increasing displacement would cost even more in terms of R&D. Atoshi Atake was quoted stating that they (Subaru) are looking specifically at the intake system for the gains. This resonates perfectly to me when looking at the dyno sheet for the outgoing model. It looks like there is PLENTY of room for improvement in high rpm breathing, those stock cams look incredibly conservative - adding 50 more hp is a no brainer.
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrtodd For This Useful Post:
Mr. (03-30-2013)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
slimjoe

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Hopefully if the BRZ STi come out, some of the parts will be transferable to the BRZ. Parts like the lightweight hood, probably not the roof since it'd be more than just the skin and that'd include cutting structural beams, brakes, and exhaust.

But yeah, at least then we would be able to have a lighter-weight version of the current BRZ.
slimjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
W-A-I-T-I-N-G!!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The look-at-me carbon fiber hood would be a deal breaker for me. Sounds pretty cool though.
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
JoeJoseJoseph

Drives: 07 Camry
Exactly! Already we get an aluminium hood and although a carbon fiber roof will be nice, a CF hood will only make it more expensive. As already told by someone else, in the range of WRX STi will be a deal breaker for me too. Enough of this waiting! They will bring better but expensive versions every year and then if i can afford a better one then, i will get, otherwise will be content with current car i'm getting this year itself!
Look at the 2012 Nissan GTR, 7K USD more, for not really much of more equipment or improvement

Last edited by JoeJoseJoseph; 03-28-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: correction
JoeJoseJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #36
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Anyone else notice the "250" horsepower figure was not actually inside a direct quote?

Between this "article" and the USA Today "article" that confirmed turbocharging, I'm tired of these reports borderline just making things up for page views or whatever.

Also the racing bucket seats and carbon fiber roof/hood lines were not in direct quotes either - they are probably just guessing from the STI concept a while back.

Revised intake and free flowing exhaust sounds good on paper, but that also makes me worried about whether the US market would even get that model with emissions and all.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
It's all just rumors still. There are just as many other reviews out where they spoke to someone at Subaru who said they are going to turbo charge it.

I find it hard to believe that they can squeeze an extra 50 hp out of the current engine. If they do I can't see it being cost effective, especially when they will have a turbo FA20 sitting on the shelf which will make the same or more power. That is a lot of development cost on another engine for a car that they will sell very few of. If/when an STI version comes out, it will account for what ~15-20% of BRZ sales? It is already a low production car so you are going to be talking about less than 2000 cars a year.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #38
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Yes this is exactly what I would have preferred! Thank you Subi!

Anyone know what kind of weight to hp this car would have compared to other cars?
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #39
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
250 NA with a slight weight reduction would be perfect for my intended purposes...

hope they release it next year and not at the mid-cycle refresh.
++++++++++

What's even more perfect?

33-35mpg.

Lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
++++++++++

What's even more perfect?

33-35mpg.

Lol
LOL, What about cheaper gasoline price?

Sounds definitely interesting. Hope to see sometimes next year.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #41
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
LOL, What about cheaper gasoline price?

Sounds definitely interesting. Hope to see sometimes next year.
I have no idea if the prices will drop.

I think all the big companies are working together to try and milk everyone dry.

But if estimated is 33/35..

I'm sure there are some people here who are really good at hypermiling and squeezing money out of every drop.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Don't get your hopes up. To eek out another 50hp on this motor would likely entail more aggressive variable timing, tuning, higher redline, and probably boring out the motor.

I/H/E/tune on a 2.0L, you might, might get 20hp tops. but dont count on it. The car is pretty well optimized at 200, any gains will be expensive and require mods that are generally best done by the factory.
More likely 230PS. Which is what Tada-san suggested it was capable of way back when. They did not push the base engine to it's peak potential, it still has a bottom end.

I'm glad they're saying they'll keep it N/A for the STI. And I'll be glad when this turbo rumor nonsense ends. They've told us repeatedly there will be no turbo, direct from the manufacturers. If they do otherwise, they would be lying.

Eventually they might have a turbo, that's the only option I'm allowing myself to believe but only because it's the initial release there is going to be absolutely no turbo. Everything else is still up for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.

Last edited by Allch Chcar; 03-28-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote