follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post
Ok I'm throwing my hand in the ring:
Cheapest BRZ I could get within 500 miles was 32k. Plus I was like I want the pearl blue they flat out told me good luck with that you take what we have or go some place else. Not to mention have you seen the fronts of the BRZ? That's an ugly front end.
I bought my FRS for slightly above 28k to my specs which suburu wouldn't do, had to wait two weeks but got the color I wanted and it had 11 miles on it when I picked it up. Plus why would you want push button start? I love turning the key and not have to worry about another electric piece not working and have me be stranded. Dual climate control when it's so small who cares? Now I can spend the 4k upgraded important parts like giving it a cooler intake, put the trd exhaust on which I love even though its overpriced. Oh and another thing I have the shark antenna which is another thing BRZ can't have without sacrificing stuff they paid for. And another thing BRZ has ugly spoilers compared to frs.
I have never had a single person ever call my car ugly. Ever.

Not that the FR-S doesn't have a nicer front bumper. The cool thing is if I really want that bumper I just swap it.

And the keyless start.. All I can say is own a car that you never ever have to take the key out your pocket for and you'll understand. It's goddamn nice. Hands full, etc. it just doesn't matter. I grab the door handle, it unlocks. Get in and push the clutch and blammo started. No fishing around in my jeans for a key, having keys banging into my knee as I drive, no lock cylinder wearing out because I have too many keys, and I get something to upgrade! (shiney red STi start button? awwwe yiss)

But even if the limited's goodies aren't your thing I still think the premium is a far better buy in the current 86 market. Me, I like my cars like I like my tacos, Fully Loaded. The only thing I would change about the limited is making the spoiler un-mandatory, it's grown me however and it is functional.

The complete lack of options killed the FR-S for me and there was no way in hell I was going to pay MORE for 10-series to get fewer features, (subjectively) uglier headlights, etc.

It's all about preference no doubt but I firmly believe that if you want features that are offered OEM on the car you want 9/10 times your better off buying the car with those features.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s0sl0w For This Useful Post:
hanabie (08-02-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #30
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Here we go... Another brz vs. Frs thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #31
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just think it's ironic that the GT86 has everything that I want from the FR-S/BRZ; however, it's not offered in the US.

Either way you look at it state side:
-If you like the FR-S front bumper, but you have a BRZ, it's going to cost tons to swap it.
-If you like the BRZ tech/features, but you have an FR-S, it's going to cost tons to swap it.
-If you have a 10 Series and you want a different color, it's going to cost tons to swap it.

Damnit Toyobaru, why couldn't you just give us all the GT86, badge swap not even required.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #32
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
I've seen people use and not use a VIN number and get release series parts so it can be done.

This guy purchased the tC RS 7.0 grille without a VIN number.

Quote: I just called them and they ordered it...no VIN needed...Since I was the first to order and get an RS7.0 grill for a plain Jane tC.

I had to buy a brz just to get these rims for my limited Tc Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374467573.296307.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  144.9 KB

BAHAHAHAHA!

But what really burns my cookies about the way scion does their parts business for their release series cars is that they discontinue the parts sooner than expected. I found that out the hard way.
Be thankful they redesigned the inside of the key after the 1st year too Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374467902.276878.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  110.3 KB
At $400 to $600 replace a damn key the dealer can keep their over priced parts.
(I've replaced the shell twice this is our only key to that car)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (07-23-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #33
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I just think it's ironic that the GT86 has everything that I want from the FR-S/BRZ; however, it's not offered in the US.

Either way you look at it state side:
-If you like the FR-S front bumper, but you have a BRZ, it's going to cost tons to swap it.
-If you like the BRZ tech/features, but you have an FR-S, it's going to cost tons to swap it.
-If you have a 10 Series and you want a different color, it's going to cost tons to swap it.

Damnit Toyobaru, why couldn't you just give us all the GT86, badge swap not even required.
Wrong. A new bumper cover cost $300, add ~$250 for paint and that's much cheaper than trying to add even just headlights.

And there's always a solid chance you can find someone to do a swap with you, which would cost nothing but some time and beer.

Just saying

Also: Yes Toyota should have sold the car under the Toyota badge.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #34
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
It's money in their pockets if they just sell us the parts

I think that Scion is going to slowly go up market with the FR-S to keep the sales up. In a few years everything we're spending all of this time and effort splicing into our cars will be standard equipment (Especially when the convertible version arrives).

BTW - I just wanted to take this moment to say there simply aren't words to describe EPIC nature of your build. Personally I think you"re crazy for not buying a Cayman S and at the same time, I'm thankful for your TRD build

yeah bro I'm with you on the headlights...Scion means Heir to a throne you know that right?

thanks for the kind words btw much appreciated. I just love how much fun people are having with it, meeting lots of cool folks. it's a great forum full of people who love cars...love it

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supra2nv For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Personally I love the scion brand. I had a tc before this, and you forgot to mention the fact that you can't get the exact options you want from suburu or even the color you want but it's all good. To each their own I prefer the frs. To each their own
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frstorm For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Fail

So I went in this morning and after an hour at the dealer got nowhere. The "Part Number's" that I got at the same parts counter two weeks...

...worthless

My parts manager is calls into Toyota Parts to get the correct part number so the saga continues.

(If anyone has the correct Part#'s for the GT86/10 Series left and right LED/HID headlamp assemblies could you send them to me in a PM?)

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #37
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Great Success!

So the answer appears to be Yes! Yes you can ORDER 10 Series FR-S parts of you don't own a 10 Series FR-S...

...but Holy $#!T are they expensive

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 07-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
blanco (07-23-2013), Fonzie517 (08-28-2013), supra2nv (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #38
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That's awesome news! But there still expensive.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #39
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Yeah, at that point you may want to consider just trading in for a 10 series then you get the push button start and auto climate control
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #40
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Yeah, at that point you may want to consider just trading in for a 10 series then you get the push button start and auto climate control
It is tempting but I REALLY like my Asphalt FR-S

Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM View Post
That's awesome news! But their still expensive.
I'm not sure it's really news. It's all in how my parts manager described this transaction to Toyota. There was no request made by Toyota/Scion for my VIN or and proof of ownership to order this part. This item went in with their standard parts order.

Now let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Our fellow brother in arms "fledonfoot" tried this and had the order kicked back. That might still happen. Apparently there aren't ANY of these things stateside. These parts are coming from Japan and I've been told to expect a wait of least 4 weeks for delivery

The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
Fonzie517 (08-28-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #42
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just because a dealer accepted your money does not mean that Toyota will release the parts. Your dealer is not Toyota, thanks to the wonders of franchising and the dealer network. These numbers will be accepted into their daily stock order and processed as normal - ANY valid part number can be submitted for order regardless of availability or status. Hell, the system accepts orders for discontinued or old part numbers that have been superseded. I could go order the old tC TRD supercharger kit if I wanted to and it would go through...

That's as far as my order went.

The following day we got our back order report, which showed them as canceled. A follow up phone call to the PDC/PRA hotline to chase them up resulted in them telling us the parts are manually allocated and verification of ownership is required - registration card preferable.

Now, Toyota is broken up into several regions. Unless there's substantial differences out in Chicago that don't apply here I don't know about, I'd imagine its the same out there. I know my experience applies with CAT and NY regions.

I'll be very surprised to see you get them, based on my experience trying to get parts going back to the rs5.0 tC TRD wheels when I had a kid destroy both right side wheels and the right side of his car and had it repaired with our body shop. It took weeks.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. Hopefully they come through for you, but I'd follow up with them in a day or two to make sure they're not sitting on your money and a canceled order.

Last edited by fledonfoot; 07-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.
fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 series, conversion, dashboard, frs