follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #29
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hi Guys, Just to inform you all before spending so much on this exhaust, I to have purchased this same exhaust system and yes it does look pretty but only up on a hoist, as you only see a few inches of the rear out the back... Plus the sound quality is as quiet if not less than the standard exhaust. So basically a lot of cash for 2 inches in my opinion and wish I had purchased the M7 or Agency Power system... The Greddy company in Japan stated it was made for the Japanese market which I presume must have lower noise restrictions..
I am pretty sure if this exhaust was used with a front/over pipe/headers it would sound REALLY great. But that could be the reason why its so quiet. Maybe they designed this cat back to have a certain sound with a full exhaust system. I bet if you added headers and a front/over pipe this exhaust would be amazing. This is probably the only exhaust I would buy without caring about the power gains. It is beautiful and it would be something I would like to have if I get front/over pipe and headers. If you get a full exhaust on other cat backs a lot of them are just too loud and just dont sound good.

And BTW Stay away from Agency Power ive read too many bad things about them from customers on these forums and there quality control seems to be crap. Just do a search and look for there threads and customer threads complaining about fitment. No surprise coming from AP/Vivid.

This exhaust looks great though. Only thing is I am wondering about is why they didnt just make it a 2.5 inch all around instead of just 2.36 then split into 2 pipes that are 2 inches.

Most exhausts are 2.5 inch, but this is 2.36 but then when it splits into 2 it is only 2 inches. Do they do that because since its seperate piping like 2.5 inches would be too big and actually lose power? Why not make it 2.5 inch all the way or would that be a bad thing for power gains like how a 3 inch exhaust lose power on some cars? Isnt the stock exhaust only 2 inches? I dont see how this gains any power unless the 2 inch piping when split would basically be a freer flowing exhaust since its 2 separate pipes going to 2 separate mufflers. Do you guys get what I am saying? Kinda hard to explain the way I am thinking it out. I honestly would be in love with this if it was 2.5 all way back. I would love to see a dyno for this exhaust.
B

The exhaust looks nice but it doesnt seem like this would perform that well and probably be just be bought for the looks/sound. For how much it costs and what it does I honestly would rather spend my money on an STI exhaust which sounds/looks better/probably performs the same as this exhaust. But until this exhaust gets dyno'd we wont know. But if someone could explain why they kept the pipes that split into 2 only at 2 inches and not 2.36 or even make the exhaust 2.5 inches from front to back would be nice. Perhaps one of the vendors who know more about making exhausts can chime in on this.

Last edited by FR-Sizzle; 07-30-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
Sookainian

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hi Guys, Just to inform you all before spending so much on this exhaust, I to have purchased this same exhaust system and yes it does look pretty but only up on a hoist, as you only see a few inches of the rear out the back... Plus the sound quality is as quiet if not less than the standard exhaust. So basically a lot of cash for 2 inches in my opinion and wish I had purchased the M7 or Agency Power system... The Greddy company in Japan stated it was made for the Japanese market which I presume must have lower noise restrictions..

Can please reupload the photo as i cant see them
Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #31
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookainian View Post
Can please reupload the photo as i cant see them
Had to dig the address out of it, but here you go

Both pictures were the same from what I saw.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #32
twitism

Drives: Toyota 86/VW Golf GT
did a rather impromptu recording with my camera... not a very good recording, but i'll try to get a proper one done soon

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWzLpPsLFDw"]Greddy GTS V2 Toyota 86 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #33
Touge86

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I still think that the m7 is one of the nicest sounding exhausts to date for the brz/frs.

but this thing looks really nice ´
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #34
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
suscribed
Old 08-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #35
twitism

Drives: Toyota 86/VW Golf GT
stock vs greddy

here's another video for you peeps...

stock vs greddy gts v2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiQliXimN3M"]Stock vs Greddy GTS V2 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
I am pretty sure if this exhaust was used with a front/over pipe/headers it would sound REALLY great. But that could be the reason why its so quiet. Maybe they designed this cat back to have a certain sound with a full exhaust system. I bet if you added headers and a front/over pipe this exhaust would be amazing. This is probably the only exhaust I would buy without caring about the power gains. It is beautiful and it would be something I would like to have if I get front/over pipe and headers. If you get a full exhaust on other cat backs a lot of them are just too loud and just dont sound good.

And BTW Stay away from Agency Power ive read too many bad things about them from customers on these forums and there quality control seems to be crap. Just do a search and look for there threads and customer threads complaining about fitment. No surprise coming from AP/Vivid.

This exhaust looks great though. Only thing is I am wondering about is why they didnt just make it a 2.5 inch all around instead of just 2.36 then split into 2 pipes that are 2 inches.

Most exhausts are 2.5 inch, but this is 2.36 but then when it splits into 2 it is only 2 inches. Do they do that because since its seperate piping like 2.5 inches would be too big and actually lose power? Why not make it 2.5 inch all the way or would that be a bad thing for power gains like how a 3 inch exhaust lose power on some cars? Isnt the stock exhaust only 2 inches? I dont see how this gains any power unless the 2 inch piping when split would basically be a freer flowing exhaust since its 2 separate pipes going to 2 separate mufflers. Do you guys get what I am saying? Kinda hard to explain the way I am thinking it out. I honestly would be in love with this if it was 2.5 all way back. I would love to see a dyno for this exhaust.
B

The exhaust looks nice but it doesnt seem like this would perform that well and probably be just be bought for the looks/sound. For how much it costs and what it does I honestly would rather spend my money on an STI exhaust which sounds/looks better/probably performs the same as this exhaust. But until this exhaust gets dyno'd we wont know. But if someone could explain why they kept the pipes that split into 2 only at 2 inches and not 2.36 or even make the exhaust 2.5 inches from front to back would be nice. Perhaps one of the vendors who know more about making exhausts can chime in on this.

Most jdm exhaust systems are designed in MM's or cms ( the metric system ) 60mm = 2.36
Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #37
Pablitomarrero

That sounds great!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #38
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Most jdm exhaust systems are designed in MM's or cms ( the metric system ) 60mm = 2.36
If you read the product description on the Greddy or Trust site you would see that it is only 2.36 before the cat back splits into 2 separate pipes with each pipe coming out to 2 inches each. That is why I am wondering whether or not it would effect performance.

I want to know why they didnt just make it a 2.36/2.5 inch system the whole way from start to where the 2 pipes split up to 2 inches per pipe, like would the cat back not be effective if each pipe after the resonator was 2.5 inches or wouldnt it perform better if it was like that? But I was wondering since it splits into 2 separate pipes whether or not if it would breathe as good as other cat backs with the same diameter the whole way. Like since it goes from 2.36 to 2 inches per pipe once it splits up would this cat back still perform like a 2.5 inch system since each separate muffler/exhaust has 2 inches for it to breath through rather than just 1 pipe that is 2.5 inches that splits into 2 mufflers at the very end of the exhaust like the HKS and Injen Catbacks.

Trying my best to explain what I am thinking of hope you get what I am trying to get at. Other cat backs like the HKS with 2 carbon fiber tips and Injen SES split up towards the end into two mufflers with very little pipe for air to travel from the split to the mufflers where as this cat back splits up at the resonator and the air has a good 3-4 ft before it gets to the muffler in 2 inch piping.

In short would this cat back breathe better or worse than traditional cat backs that have 2.5 inch tubing since the piping separates into 2 inch pipes to there mufflers. Other catbacks are 2.5 and split to the muffler but there distance from where it splits is very small, like an inch or two, compared to this cat back where the split of piping travels MUCH further.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #39
Pablitomarrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
If you read the product description on the Greddy or Trust site you would see that it is only 2.36 before the cat back splits into 2 separate pipes with each pipe coming out to 2 inches each. That is why I am wondering whether or not it would effect performance.

I want to know why they didnt just make it a 2.36/2.5 inch system the whole way from start to where the 2 pipes split up to 2 inches per pipe, like would the cat back not be effective if each pipe after the resonator was 2.5 inches or wouldnt it perform better if it was like that? But I was wondering since it splits into 2 separate pipes whether or not if it would breathe as good as other cat backs with the same diameter the whole way. Like since it goes from 2.36 to 2 inches per pipe once it splits up would this cat back still perform like a 2.5 inch system since each separate muffler/exhaust has 2 inches for it to breath through rather than just 1 pipe that is 2.5 inches that splits into 2 mufflers at the very end of the exhaust like the HKS and Injen Catbacks.

Trying my best to explain what I am thinking of hope you get what I am trying to get at. Other cat backs like the HKS with 2 carbon fiber tips and Injen SES split up towards the end into two mufflers with very little pipe for air to travel from the split to the mufflers where as this cat back splits up at the resonator and the air has a good 3-4 ft before it gets to the muffler in 2 inch piping.

In short would this cat back breathe better or worse than traditional cat backs that have 2.5 inch tubing since the piping separates into 2 inch pipes to there mufflers. Other catbacks are 2.5 and split to the muffler but there distance from where it splits is very small, like an inch or two, compared to this cat back where the split of piping travels MUCH further.
The catback will breath as much as the most restricted part of the exhaust will allow. The lond dual pipes will just make it very quiet. Dont expect too much performance out of it. I would guestimate similar gains to the Greddy SE catback... Not much at all. This is mostly for the looks i would say
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #40
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero View Post
The catback will breath as much as the most restricted part of the exhaust will allow. The lond dual pipes will just make it very quiet. Dont expect too much performance out of it. I would guestimate similar gains to the Greddy SE catback... Not much at all. This is mostly for the looks i would say
Well Most cat backs dont really get much power until you modify everything from the headers to the front/over pipe. The thing is I wonder if Greddy/Trust tried a 2.5 inch system when the pipes split and they possibly lostf power or it just sounded bad/droned like how a 2.75 or 3 inch system would sound ( evo 3 ). Like wouldnt having the system 2.5 inches from the resonator and each of the 2 seperate pipes are 2.5 inches could have this system to perform similar to a system that is a 2.75-3 inch system since they both have there own pipe leading the muffler that are wider?

This is one of the few cat backs I would buy that I wouldn't mind if it got less power than other cat backs. Injen SES and the STI cat backs are the only other 2 cat backs I would purchase just for looks and sound as those 2 things are just as important to me than a cat back that gets 2-3 more whp but sounds like a fart can or drones a lot like the evo 3.

IMO for any cat back once you get a header and front/over pipe thats where you will see the most gains as thats where the cats are at and if you delete both or keep one cat. As long as the cat back is designed well and is 2.36-2.5 inches in diameter. I like this cat back because it sounds very good and is quiet which is very important to me especially if you get headers and a front/over pipe for this car because those two items will make the car much louder.

I beleive that Greddy/Trust designed it in mind that headers and a front/over pipe will not make it sound obnoxious. A lot of cat backs sound really bad once you get headers/front and over pipe. Living in California sound is very important as it can save your ass from getting a ticket and cops to check your modifications in your car.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #41
NOTORIOUS.BRZ

Drives: SUBARU BRZ ZN6 AU 2013
what would this catback be like on a turbo application? like say if i went 2.5" diameter front pipe and down pipe and maybe de-cat, then this cat back. is it bad to go bigger diameter to smaller?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #42
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS.BRZ View Post
what would this catback be like on a turbo application? like say if i went 2.5" diameter front pipe and down pipe and maybe de-cat, then this cat back. is it bad to go bigger diameter to smaller?
Unless if you have 350-400+ WHP then you wont need a larger exhaust. Once you get to that point you need an exhaust like the EVO3 or the Tomei 80 mm Single exit catback. It wont matter if you have a 2.36 or 2.5 system with a turbo IMO. If you plan to just get a turbo like AVO or any other companies that gets around 230-300 whp this would be fine.

Even if it does make a slight difference sacrificing a little power for looks/sound is just as important IMO. The sound of a cars exhaust can be an instant turn off when people see your car from my view. You can have a beautiful car but if your car sounds like a fart can and drones a ton it just ruins it.

The way this catback is designed could possibly breathe better than other catbacks IMO that are 2.36-2.5 inches. Just b/c it splits up into 2 separate pipes that are 2 inches each instead of 1 pipe that is 2.36 or 2.5 inches that connects to the muffler or has a Y split that is 1 inch from the muffler.

Closed Thread