follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
duffman13
Auto-Xer

Drives: 2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
rsx is definitely showing its age but it can be fixed with a modern headunit. however, i refuse to drive something with such heavy steering everyday .

btw, dc5 integra was actually one of the benchmarks that toyota/subaru set out (i can dig for sources on this but it's been a long long time ago)everyone wondered why it was benchmarked to a fwd car, but i knew what they wanted exactly when they have mentioned that.
I'll say as an owner, you get used to the heavy steering. I personally feel like it helps on track and auto-x because you're more deliberate with where you're pointing the nose of the car. Mine is enhanced with even more torque steer due to the LSD I installed, but it makes the car more fun IMHO, even if it feels like I'm fighting it at times, when the power differential between the 2 drive wheels just sucks you into the corner.
duffman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
First post!!!

4.c6 vette: too fast to get the most out of. power will make up for my deficiencies as a driver and my skill level will not increase as much. Base is pretty tame for fat old men, really need to shell out for a Z06 (C5 Z06 is a valid choice, notwithstanding my first point). High cost consumables.

i dont believe in this whole power making up for mistakes crap. calling the base tame is a bit of a joke. it will still outhandle, outrun and outcorner every car on the list. and the current base is faster than the c5 z06 so i dont know where youre getting this from although the too fast and high consumables stuff is

also, welcome
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #31
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
I'll say as an owner, you get used to the heavy steering. I personally feel like it helps on track and auto-x because you're more deliberate with where you're pointing the nose of the car. Mine is enhanced with even more torque steer due to the LSD I installed, but it makes the car more fun IMHO, even if it feels like I'm fighting it at times, when the power differential between the 2 drive wheels just sucks you into the corner.
thats why i think rsx is aging. modern cars come equipped with variable ratio steering which allows for heavy steering at high speeds and nice light weight at low speeds. as i have stated i`m not as hardcore as you guys so i dont want to get used to it haha (my wrx is heavy enough for me lol).
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont believe in this whole power making up for mistakes crap. calling the base tame is a bit of a joke. it will still outhandle, outrun and outcorner every car on the list. and the current base is faster than the c5 z06 so i dont know where youre getting this from although the too fast and high consumables stuff is

also, welcome
outhandle, outrun and outcorner in NUMBERS yes. the way it feels truly reflect its craptastic way it was built. i can move the steering wheel A LOT while driving straight and the car just moves straight... and that is the same when i enter a corner; i hell and toe and turn in, expecting the nose to move toward the apex, but no, you really have to manhandle the car. i mean, it went around the corner but i feel safer in my wrx. the only reason why i even considered it is because it is probably the fastest in the straights with decent handling for not too much money, but i refuse to put myself in a poorly built car for more speed.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #33
fatoni

Quote:
outhandle, outrun and outcorner in NUMBERS yes. the way it feels truly reflect its craptastic way it was built. i can move the steering wheel A LOT while driving straight and the car just moves straight... and that is the same when i enter a corner; i hell and toe and turn in, expecting the nose to move toward the apex, but no, you really have to manhandle the car. i mean, it went around the corner but i feel safer in my wrx. the only reason why i even considered it is because it is probably the fastest in the straights with decent handling for not too much money, but i refuse to put myself in a poorly built car for more speed.
first off, im not surprised you feel safer in your own car. second, is your wrx stock? if so then it feels safer because you are going significantly slower. if not, well you can mod a c6 too. the build quality on the c6 is good (albeit a strange interior design), i dont know where you are getting that from. its going to last longer than your subaru would. compared to the other cars listed, its in a league of its own by a longshot. all that numbness you are talking about is likely the combination of wide tires and the fact that it was designed to be stable up to 200+ mph
Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #34
tree fingers

Drives: '93 FD3S
If you're okay with how the C6 looks, the possibly sub-par build quality, get it. This is coming from someone with an STI.
tree fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #35
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
first off, im not surprised you feel safer in your own car. second, is your wrx stock? if so then it feels safer because you are going significantly slower. if not, well you can mod a c6 too. the build quality on the c6 is good (albeit a strange interior design), i dont know where you are getting that from. its going to last longer than your subaru would. compared to the other cars listed, its in a league of its own by a longshot. all that numbness you are talking about is likely the combination of wide tires and the fact that it was designed to be stable up to 200+ mph
well, i entered the corner at the same speed, but in all fairness my car is not stock haha. you have a point about the steering sensitivity being rated at a higher speed; i may not have been going fast enough for the steering to respond quicker in reality (so glad you told me this though, i would`ve never thought of this on my own). however, i will never go any faster than 120 on public roads so i rather have the sensitivity.

i also agree corvette would outlast my subaru because it's a simpler car; it's n/a vs turbo...

but i like cars with a bit more finesse in control even if corvette might net me faster track times. i mean, if i just wanted a fast car for cheap, i would probably do a sti swap with a large turbo on my car, but i really dont care about speed anymore. i just came back from driving my brother's miata again and totally convinced myself that the fr-s will be plenty fast for me.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
i will never go any faster than 120 on public roads so i rather have the sensitivity.
You shouldn't be going anywhere near that fast on a public road. Period
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
fatoni

Quote:
well, i entered the corner at the same speed, but in all fairness my car is not stock haha. you have a point about the steering sensitivity being rated at a higher speed; i may not have been going fast enough for the steering to respond quicker in reality (so glad you told me this though, i would`ve never thought of this on my own). however, i will never go any faster than 120 on public roads so i rather have the sensitivity.

i also agree corvette would outlast my subaru because it's a simpler car; it's n/a vs turbo...

but i like cars with a bit more finesse in control even if corvette might net me faster track times. i mean, if i just wanted a fast car for cheap, i would probably do a sti swap with a large turbo on my car, but i really dont care about speed anymore. i just came back from driving my brother's miata again and totally convinced myself that the fr-s will be plenty fast for me.
i was going to say its a slippery slope between a fast car and a fun street driven car but if you have driven a miata you probably just figured it out. what year was it? people will probably hate this statement but, the miata will be more fun per mph than the frs. the miata will also be more fun per dollar. if you dont want stupid fast but have corvette money i would give an elise a long hard look. if i didnt just drop 30k on next years tuition, i would be the proud new owner of a base elise
Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #38
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30kawi View Post

Now I'd suggest whatever the heck the slowest car was on his list for the OP.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #39
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post

Now I'd suggest whatever the heck the slowest car was on his list for the OP.
Dont get me wrong, who doesn't like to drive fast, but 120 is incredibly fast for a public road. When sh*t goes wrong, it goes incredibly wrong at higher speeds. In public, is when sh*t seems to hit the fan.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #40
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
i was going to say its a slippery slope between a fast car and a fun street driven car but if you have driven a miata you probably just figured it out. what year was it? people will probably hate this statement but, the miata will be more fun per mph than the frs. the miata will also be more fun per dollar. if you dont want stupid fast but have corvette money i would give an elise a long hard look. if i didnt just drop 30k on next years tuition, i would be the proud new owner of a base elise
again, i`m 6ft tall and i want comfort so no elise haha (maintenance scares me also).
Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #41
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30kawi View Post
just an exaggeration guys haha...
Old 12-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #42
NorCalRider

Drives: 2009 Toytoa Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35577202491331
I have a few friends with turbo Elise's and would love one for a dedicated track car, this vid really takes off after about 5 minutes in.
1994 Honda Civic HB TurboCharged Track Car
NorCalRider is offline   Reply With Quote