follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: ?
SC 133 38.33%
TC 159 45.82%
NA 55 15.85%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #29
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
I'll ask again, Ever driven a modern Turbo car?

Roots blowers obviously get on boost sooner, but really, if you look at the trade offs it really does not make sense in a non V engine config.

Speaking of which, how do you really plan to put a roots blower on a flat 4?
OEM no, aftermarket yes. But again, I think were debating the perception of lag rather than the actual lag...

What's wrong with a roots blower on a flat 4? In fact, I'd say for a small displacement engine that will tend to have limited low speed grunt, for a daily driver or autox car a roots blower is probably a better choice.

The major lament about roots blowers on a small motor is the limited top end, not the low speed torque.

I'm not knocking turbos, but they simply have different flow characteristics than roots blowers, and what will best suit an individual depends on their personal preferences and style of driving.

EDIT: Oh, wait... flat 4... good point. I thought there were a few production set ups like that tho -- no?

Last edited by Jordo!; 12-30-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,157 Times in 8,347 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 28 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
want to know a secret fix for "lag"? DOWNSHIFT.
Ha, I have better idea. Just do Anti-Lag System. No lag period... at the same time, shorten the life of the engine. lol
Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
bpv417

Drives: scion tc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd have to say turbo is the way to go for a 2.0 motor = )
bpv417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #32
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
want to know a secret fix for "lag"? DOWNSHIFT.

throttle response has nothing to do with turbo lag. there is a difference between throttle response and boost response. a good driver will be in the proper gear for conditions, and thus, this whole lag argument is moot.

-Mike
What this man said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Ha, I have better idea. Just do Anti-Lag System. No lag period... at the same time, shorten the life of the engine. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
OEM no, aftermarket yes. But again, I think were debating the perception of lag rather than the actual lag...

What's wrong with a roots blower on a flat 4? In fact, I'd say for a small displacement engine that will tend to have limited low speed grunt, for a daily driver or autox car a roots blower is probably a better choice.
I didn't say anything was wrong with it per say, I just wonder how you PHYSICALLY plan to do it.

Srsly, the sheer physics of it are mind boggling [/powers]

.........Lest you plan to put one on either head or a massive blower?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #33
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Hell yeah!

Quote:
I didn't say anything was wrong with it per say, I just wonder how you PHYSICALLY plan to do it.

Srsly, the sheer physics of it are mind boggling [/powers]

.........Lest you plan to put one on either head or a massive blower?
Some ppl are doin' SC on their Impreza. IIRC Raptor made NA Impreza SC kit for it too. Raptor SC kit

As for Root blower, are you talkin' bout this?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #34
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
why Roots?

isn't Centrifugal more efficient? its smaller and lighter, does the same boost as say a Roots or Twin-Screw?

I suppose if your looking for down right low end power and torque then yeah, Roots and Twin-Screw but considering the engine is a HIGH REVVER, low RPMs is considered 5000, which is plenty of exhaust for a turbo.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #35
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,562 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
this thread suddenly fails
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #36
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Some ppl are doin' SC on their Impreza. IIRC Raptor made NA Impreza SC kit for it too. Raptor SC kit

As for Root blower, are you talkin' bout this?
Look at the complexity of those setups. The amount of plumbing and fabrication needed. Is all that worth it just to be different? I honestly can't support a case for a roots blower on a boxer engine, cause I can't see how any of those setups would be better than a proper snail.

The build by Skidd is actually pretty cool, but...seriously, cost/performance/time ratio, do you see yourself bothering to do all that?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #37
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Look at the complexity of those setups. The amount of plumbing and fabrication needed. Is all that worth it just to be different? I honestly can't support a case for a roots blower on a boxer engine, cause I can't see how any of those setups would be better than a proper snail.

The build by Skidd is actually pretty cool, but...seriously, cost/performance/time ratio, do you see yourself bothering to do all that?
I agree w ya. Once upon the time, I thought bout making my RS SC, but it was too complex so I gave up... but if you look at Raptor's SC, it's fairly easy to set up & give you helova good hp/tq for low psi. As for the cost, just bit cheaper than doin' the swap... so in the end, I was saving up to do H6 & 6sp tran swap til FT-86c came up. lol
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #38
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
why Roots?

isn't Centrifugal more efficient? its smaller and lighter, does the same boost as say a Roots or Twin-Screw?

I suppose if your looking for down right low end power and torque then yeah, Roots and Twin-Screw but considering the engine is a HIGH REVVER, low RPMs is considered 5000, which is plenty of exhaust for a turbo.
hell, 3000 rpms is enough for a turbo out of a 2.0L. it took me a second to understand what you were getting at (just woke up, ha), but it's a pretty good point.

the engine is likely going to rev fairly high, so who here really needs to drive around at 2000 rpms?

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #39
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Argh -- I hadn't thought of that. Not used to thinking about boxer motors at all... good point.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #40
cbishop11

Drives: 91 MR2
Having driven and built both, I'll turbocharge, especially since its easily been done before on this configuration. The only thing that may turn out to be more expensive than your typical conversion is upgrading the direct injection fuel system. It may only be a matter of finding compatible upgrade parts, or we may have to wait for aftermarket support. Who knows until we see the actual car. A supercharged setup would appear quite complex, and would rob too much torque, in my opinion.

As others have said, these days turbo lag is really not an issue anymore. As long as you pick the right turbo and build your motor accordingly, you wont notice much lag. A good tune is also essential.

To be honest, a 2.5 turbo swap from an STI would probably be simpler than trying to convert this 2.0 N/A DI to forced induction, but that is another thread...
cbishop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:47 AM   #41
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbishop11 View Post
To be honest, a 2.5 turbo swap from an STI would probably be simpler than trying to convert this 2.0 N/A DI to forced induction, but that is another thread...
That's not true. Japan have been using 2L Boxer engine since 90's til just recently. It has more Turbo upgrade parts for 2L than 2.5L parts.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #42
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,562 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
i think what most people are forgetting in this thread is that, this Toyota variant engine is completely built from scratch. While this may seem like nothing new on paper, a 2L flat-4, it is not a flat-4 that anyone would be familiar with from any aspect. The engine is not built by subaru and then just planted into the FT, so what you may know about previous designs by subaru that are similar may not completely comply to this D4S.

So when cBishop11 says a swap would be easier than a F/I conversion for this Toyota D4S he would probably be right, seeing as how there are ZERO aftermarket options for this 2.0L boxer.