follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #29
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
I've got the Whiteline Com-Cs, camber bolts and rear camber bushings plus some Eibach Pro Kit springs lying around in my storage room right now, and some RCE Yellows on the way to complete the Starter Kit setup.

I'm planning on driving the car as much as I can until my trusted mechanic/alignment guy gets back in mid-September so I'll post up a review on the RCE Yellows then.

Will probably skip installing the Eibachs altogether and just sell them on in favour of the RCE Yellows + starter kit since the RCE starter kit was developed as a package. Unless somebody can bribe me to go through the additional effort amd $$$ of two spring installs for the sake of a baxk to back comparison.

Also, I suspect that an alignment will influence handling in addition to just springs, which gives people another variable to consider.

Doesn't make sense to not try it out IMO.

The RCE is a equal rate setup, who knows you might like the stiffer rears more. :shrug: If you have them, I'd try them out. :shrug:
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #30
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd have loved to but it's all down to my alignment guy not being in town at the moment. Only so many folks here I can trust to do a good job.

2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
Why is the drop more in the rear than the front? Wouldn't that mess up the rake? Thanks.
this happens to work well with the wl rear crossmember bolts, my h&r are the same way

h&r bias is for brz
grab a calculator and do your arithmatic
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
kendalldwhite

Drives: Mint-Tiffany blue FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
im waiting for hitchkis springs and sways to come in, i read up on the forum and i thought hotchkis was the way to go at this point
kendalldwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #33
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I know its primitive, but do you guys even calculate bias? It a may be helpful to build a chart, off of that chart that lists all the spring rates. Easy way to tell a drift from a race setup. STuff with Bias like 1:1 like the RCE and many coil overs are not for drift. When you see a front to rear bias of say 0.63, that is more likely to be drifty. fwfw. the oe bias of the brz is like .77. iirc, the FRS is in the 0.60's

while this isnt always the case as everything can be changed with dampers and bars, still..just saying, idiot guide
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #34
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
im interested in the SWIFT as well - someone let us know when they become available.

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
this happens to work well with the wl rear crossmember bolts, my h&r are the same way

h&r bias is for brz
grab a calculator and do your arithmatic
None of your math, Mook! You take that devil worship elsewhere, where people with braincells appreciate that kind of nonsense

:happy0180:
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #36
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,311 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
None of your math, Mook! You take that devil worship elsewhere, where people with braincells appreciate that kind of nonsense

:happy0180:
Honestly...it's much more complicated than that.

If two springs have a front/rear ratio of .7, they still might handle completely different and have a different balance, even if all else is the same.

175/250 and 350/500 will behave very differently and have a very different balance, beyond just less roll for the firmer set-up.

The front and rear do not react exactly the same to changes in spring rate. So if you take the stock spring rates and simply make them 10% stiffer, you're NOT keeping the stock balance. A lot of people (and tuners) still don't understand this.

With our RCE Yellow springs, we went a lot firmer up front than everyone else. Some will think that means we shifted the balance of the car, but in reality...the front with a macstrut needs a lot more help than the rear of the car. Plus it means you can put power down easier coming out of corners (helpful with the torsen rear diff) and have a more stable car that also has excellent turn-in and balance. The front of the car has vastly different geometry and does not have the same camber curve of the rear.

EDIT: and on top of all that, you can throw it all out the window when you drop the car 1.25 inches and are now cornering on the firm bumpstops. Those add spring rate of their own. Or....run RCE Yellows that include shortened bumpstops.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 10-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (11-20-2016)
Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #37
Intake
BRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm the ride comfort of these springs?
Intake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #38
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
i heard a lot of good things about the RCE yellow
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #39
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,933 Times in 2,054 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Thing 1: Ride comfort is 1000X more a function of dampers than springs! Soft springs with piss-poor dampers will ride harsh. Stiff springs with excellent highly digressive dampers will ride MUCH more smoothly and comfortably, while better controlling pitch and roll. I just went from 9F 7R Tein SS coilovers to 11F/11R Ohlins DFVs on my RX-7, and the Ohlins are UNBELIEVABLY smoother-riding on the street, despite being a LOT (22%/57%) stiffer.

Thing 2: A 5k spring is a 5k spring, no difference between manufacturers other than consistency and accuracy (i.e., is "5k" really "somewhere between 4k and 6k"), susceptibility to corrosion, and fatigue life. I would stick with straight linear-rate springs, not a fan of progressive or multi-rate. For springs, I would pick a *known good-quality supplier* based on what rates I wanted.
One manufacturer's springs aren't going to feel more comfortable than another's of the same rate, and spring rate has WAY less impact on ride quality than damping characteristics.

Thing 3: Wheel rates are what are important. Spring rates are a means to get the appropriate/desired *wheel rates*. Front and rear motion ratios for the FR-S/BRZ are ~0.95 and ~0.75 (as far as I've gathered), and wheel rate is spring rate multiplied by the SQUARE of the motion ratio. If you run same-rate springs all around and you'll have 61.6%/38.4% relative front/rear stiffness at the wheels. In my opinion, that's too much front bias.

Some front-bias will work, but often automakers give a little more rear spring stiffness relative to weight distribution to have slightly higher rear frequency so that at speed, when you hit a bump the two "settle" at close to the same time even though the front hit the bump first. Then they balance the handling toward understeer with sway bars and alignment settings.

Stock FR-S *wheel rates* are right at 50/50 front/rear (spring rates 2.4 kg/mm front, 3.8 kg/mm rear).
Stock BRZ *wheel rates* are ~56/44 (spring rates 2.8kg/mm front, 3.5kg/mm rear)
So their wheel rates bracket the weight distribution, which is ~54/46 - 53/47 with driver and fuel.

I don't think there's anything about MacPherson struts that makes them "need" relatively more spring or wheel rate, and neither did Subaru or Toyota/Scion.

My .02!

Last edited by ZDan; 10-10-2013 at 11:37 AM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
7thgear (10-10-2013), DAEMANO (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #40
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,311 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Thing 1: Ride comfort is 1000X more a function of dampers than springs! Soft springs with piss-poor dampers will ride harsh. Stiff springs with excellent highly digressive dampers will ride MUCH more smoothly and comfortably, while better controlling pitch and roll. I just went from 9F 7R Tein SS coilovers to 11F/11R Ohlins DFVs on my RX-7, and the Ohlins are UNBELIEVABLY smoother-riding on the street, despite being a LOT (22%/57%) stiffer.

Thing 2: A 5k spring is a 5k spring, no difference between manufacturers other than consistency and accuracy (i.e., is "5k" really "somewhere between 4k and 6k"), susceptibility to corrosion, and fatigue life. I would stick with straight linear-rate springs, not a fan of progressive or multi-rate. For springs, I would pick a *known good-quality supplier* based on what rates I wanted.
One manufacturer's springs aren't going to feel more comfortable than another's of the same rate, and spring rate has WAY less impact on ride quality than damping characteristics.

Thing 3: Wheel rates are what are important. Spring rates are a means to get the appropriate/desired *wheel rates*. Front and rear motion ratios for the FR-S/BRZ are ~0.95 and ~0.75 (as far as I've gathered), and wheel rate is spring rate multiplied by the SQUARE of the motion ratio. If you run same-rate springs all around and you'll have 61.6%/38.4% relative front/rear stiffness at the wheels. In my opinion, that's too much front bias.

Some front-bias will work, but often automakers give a little more rear spring stiffness relative to weight distribution to have slightly higher rear frequency so that at speed, when you hit a bump the two "settle" at close to the same time even though the front hit the bump first. Then they balance the handling toward understeer with sway bars and alignment settings.

Stock FR-S *wheel rates* are right at 50/50 front/rear (spring rates 2.4 kg/mm front, 3.8 kg/mm rear).
So their wheel rates bracket the weight distribution, which is ~54/46 - 53/47 with driver and fuel.

I don't think there's anything about MacPherson struts that makes them "need" relatively more spring or wheel rate, and neither did Subaru or Toyota/Scion.

My .02!
Thing 1: I agree that dampers are more important for ride comfort, but with lowering springs we're usually talking about ride comfort problems due to a lack of bump travel and that's still very much a thing. The rates themselves are not as important (and you're on the bumpstops or bottomed out most of the time anyway with the big drop springs.

Thing 2: Agreed....BUT the consistency and accuracy thing is a real concern sometimes.

Thing 3: You should drive a car with our springs. On the stiffer end spectrum of spring rates on coilovers on a more dedicated car I would generally go with a firmer rear, but on the soft end with OEM fitment lowering springs you're fighting roll so much that the firm front helps so much. Even with medium rates (the default on our coilovers) we've found that our car is faster with a good bit more front wheel rate, at least for how we have set it up.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
7thgear (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #41
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
please kill this thread! a year old!
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hanabie For This Useful Post:
OICU812 (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #42
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post

My .02!
Ohlins are 6K/6K square. I understand and respect your work on the math, but what they've done and what RCE have done for feel and performance with a square spring set is well....proven real world so it does work with good results?