follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #29
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I'd love to see a TVS or twin-screw supercharged factory model. That would be my preference for a boosted application.
If the engine sits as low as it appears, S/C might be the more realistic option. At least we know TRD has some history with providing those.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #30
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
What's even more amazing is that you can get 19'' wheels, Brembo brakes, LSD,Track Suspension,2.0 turbo,RWD,10 years/100,000 mile warranty for just $24,700+shipping. And Toyota has more money and brand recognition than Hyundai so please don't tell me it can't be done at an affordable price.
also, as i've stated many times the koreans have an inherent, macroeconomic advantage as far as selling cars in the US with a lower msrp. expecting a japanese company to be able to sell a car in the US with similar specs for that price and turning a profit is unreasonable.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
i'd say its more of a guarantee... small turbo and it runs out of gas up top. big turbo and you have lag. variable vane turbo and you pay up the arse for one (and this is forgetting the fact that borgwarner/porsche has that tech under lock and key)...

the tq curve of a turbo engine can never be like a NA engine. even if the NA engine has pitiful tq down low, as long as it can freely rev, you can always control the engine with the throttle. with a turbo car, you always have to wait for spool and then the tq spikes "unpredictably" in relation to your right foot. sure you can try to flatten the tq curve with tuning, but you can never eliminate it. thats just how it is. ok so you stay in boost all the time. nice. now turbo sizing becomes a big factor. let the revs fall and you get off boost, rev too high and you start to run out. get a smaller turbo and you run out sooner. bigger turbo and you have to spool longer and sustain a higher rpm to stay in boost.

turbo just doesnt fit this car. and i personally would rather it not have a turbo. i just hope that they make it a rev happy engine with a high redline.

this kind of turbo/no turbo "debate" was huge when the 335i came out. even though max boost is achieved at like 1500 rpm or whatever, there is still perceptible lag. and up top it starts to run out. its a wonderful engine, one of the best turbo engines ever, but a lot of people still prefer the FEEL of the 3.0l NA six. is the 335i faster? heck yeah. so if that's what you want, ok. if you prefer feel? then NA all the way...

+1

That is why for me BMW M is dead. They went FI.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #32
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You make it seem like a turbocharged 2.0 with RWD can't be affordable. It's been done. The GC. What's even more amazing is that you can get 19'' wheels, Brembo brakes, LSD,Track Suspension,2.0 turbo,RWD,10 years/100,000 mile warranty for just $24,700+shipping. And Toyota has more money and brand recognition than Hyundai so please don't tell me it can't be done at an affordable price.
You know you can go to Sizzler for a rib eye steak... or you can go Ruth's Chris for a rib eye steak!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
first of all, the hyundai/kia turbo 4 is a GEMA engine. so development costs were shared from inception. second of all, the engine is shared with the sonata, optima, and sportage. the turbo 4 version of the gen coupe is like the V6 mustang/camaro. it was made specifically as a lower cost option of the flagship engine/model.

in this case, the V6 is the flagship model that was made to compete with the stang, camaro, and 370z. the turbo 4 was put together to compete against cars like the civic si, wrx, etc. so low cost for that car was a must from the get go.

lastly, when the ft86 was announced, they had a traget price of 20k... if i recall correctly, there was talk about how they couldnt meet that price and that the price would have to be bumped up a bit. so lets juts say they can price the 2.0L NA version at 23k. how cheap can the turbo version be? 24-25k? i doubt it... just look at the placement of the engine. its already a piping nightmare. do you move the engine up? wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the car? soooo many questions/problems... turbo is such a far off reality at this point...

so anyways, im not saying it cant be done, but just because hyundai did it doesnt mean toyota/subaru WANTS to do it...

as a side note: gen coupe sales are not doing so hot, so its not as if they want a piece of the RWD turbo pie... there IS no pie....
The only reason the GC sales is in the toilet is because people don't respect Hyundai(mainly car guys). If you slap a Toyota badge or Honda badge on it the fanboys would come flocking towards the car in a instant.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
SUB-FT86
86 Member

I'll say this though I don't care for turbo engines either, I just wish it was an option. I would prefer what Maxim has been saying all along, a 2.5l D/I 240-250hp/190tq Flat-4 with a body no heavier than 2850 lbs.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #35
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
The only reason the GC sales is in the toilet is because people don't respect Hyundai(mainly car guys). If you slap a Toyota badge or Honda badge on it the fanboys would come flocking towards the car in a instant.
Just like the saying goes, "You don't get respect, you earn it"
Hyundai hasn't done shit except 'sound like' Honda and look like Mercedes!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #36
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
the 2.0T is 3300 lbs... and only 210 hp... the only thing it has going for it is RWD... imo they did it wrong. not talking about the V6 version, but the 2.0T imo feels like an afterthought. if you were to build a RWD sportscar from the ground up for 25k... well you'd end up with the FT86 quite frankly... instead they stuck a lightly turboed version of their regular 4 cyl in a chassis meant for a V6...

all im asking for in the FT86 is performance on par with a civic si, except with RWD... that's it. no more, no less. people who clamor for a turbo should realistically look elsewhere... its not that kinda car...

Last edited by madfast; 06-17-2011 at 07:41 PM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #37
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Its funny you should mention that when all I see is sleep mobiles at Honda and Toyota dealerships. I give respect for who Hyundai is trying to become not there past in the 90's. And it seems like it's the other way around for the Japanese duo. In the 90's they had respectable cars and now they don't.

Quote:
the 2.0T is 3300 lbs... and only 210 hp... the only thing it has going for it is RWD... imo they did it wrong. not talking about the V6 version, but the 2.0T imo feels like an afterthought. if you were to build a RWD sportscar from the ground up for 25k... well you'd end up with the FT86 quite frankly... instead they stuck a lightly turboed version of their regular 4 cyl in a chassis meant for a V6...

all im asking for in the FT86 is performance on par with a civic si, except with RWD... that's it. no more, no less. people who clamor for a turbo should realistically look elsewhere... its not that kinda car...
First off you don't know much about that 2.0t engine to begin with and I suggest you visit a GC site to find out. You can make 250whp/290wtq with just $1,500 in modifications. That's a 65whp/80wtq gain.You can get 300whp/360wtq with a stage 2 $3,000 kit. That is ///1M level power for around the same weight. Now try that same amount of money in a high strung 2.0 liter N/A car? I'll show you the true laugh mobile.

I just realize you own a Evo so you should know better about the 2.0t. And yes I know the engines aren't identical

Look at this 300whp GC.

Last edited by SUB-FT86; 06-17-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #38
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Its funny you should mention that when all I see is sleep mobiles at Honda and Toyota dealerships. I give respect for who Hyundai is trying to become not there past in the 90's. And it seems like it's the other way around for the Japanese duo. In the 90's they had respectable cars and now they don't.

First off you don't know much about that 2.0t engine to begin with and I suggest you visit a GC site to find out. You can make 250whp/290wtq with just $1,500 in modifications. That's a 65whp/80wtq gain.You can get 300whp/360wtq with a stage 2 $3,000 kit. That is ///1M level power for around the same weight. Now try that same amount of money in a high strung 2.0 liter N/A car? I'll show you the true laugh mobile.

I just realize you own a Evo so you should know better about the 2.0t. And yes I know the engines aren't identical

Look at this 300whp GC.

I think the Genesis Coupe's problem is that it's trying to go after two different markets with the same car. It's trying to jump on the importtuning/drift bandwagon with the 2.0T and also, quite obviously, targeting the luxury coupe domain of the G37 with the V6. So both are compromises. Namely the 2.0T version would've probably been lighter if they hadn't planned on a big, comfy G37 chaser with the V6.

Secondly if you feel that this would be a raging success if not for the Hyundai name, I disagree. I use the Subaru in North America example. Prior to the WRX, Subaru was pretty much a Japanese version of Volvo. Cars for aging, upper-middle class, ex-hippies who liked to ski. WRX and then STI completely changed that. And it was because of the quality and performance of the car.

Last, Hyundai could have done much better with the Genesis Coupe. They had plenty of time to analyze what made the legendary Japanese cars of the 90s so legendary. And then copy, refine and improve. But they didn't. They targeted the G37, and made a cheaper version for youth with their new mid-range motor. Plus the styling is a bit off. It's 90% a good looking car, but the left over 10% is way too tacky for me. They're improving though...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #39
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
I'd love a good ol efficient, great gas mileage turbo 2.0. I have little to no faith in the engineers to produce this s2k like engine they've talked about.

I would prefer a reliable 32+mpg 230+hp/180+tq.. 2.3-2.5L n/a motor over turbo though, it'd have to be stock but again no faith in the 2 companies to produce it.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #40
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
You can make 250whp/290wtq with just $1,500 in modifications. That's a 65whp/80wtq gain.You can get 300whp/360wtq with a stage 2 $3,000 kit. That is ///1M level power for around the same weight. Now try that same amount of money in a high strung 2.0 liter N/A car? I'll show you the true laugh mobile.
when talking about sales, you can only talk about the stock car. and the stock 2.0T just isnt fast enough. truth is most people dont modify their cars. so mod/tune potential means nothing for most people. that alone cant sell very many cars. but if you have a good stock tune, and have good mod potential, then the car becomes real popular...

the V6 competes with the stang and camaro, and imo most people who buy those, buy it for the cool factor/nostalgia, not actual performance. time after time the V6 gen coupe has won comparos against the V6 stang and camaro. it has proven to be a better sportscar and yet people dont care. they want a mustang or camaro like daddy had back in the day...

hyundai's name is not what it used to be. i dont buy that idea that people wouldnt buy a hyundai sportscar. imo its other factors more so than the badge. for a first real sportscar, the gen coupe is a great start, but i get the feeling they could've done more outta the gate. like how can the optima/sonata have 270hp and the gen coupe 210? its a travesty. they shot themselves in the foot. and so the 2012 redesign is going to be interesting... very interesting.... if they tune the 2.0 to 270 hp and replace the V6 with the tau? and keep the same price point?

back on topic with the FT86, i think they shouldnt try to compete with those kinda cars. even if its in a similar price range. i'd rather the FT keep with the philosophy. a sport coupe in between a miata and s2000. a rwd civic si. an autocross/drift car never to see the strip...

Last edited by madfast; 06-18-2011 at 02:04 AM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #41
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
id rather have a factory turbo, with a warranty....vs a aftermarket turbo kit that voids my warranty.Id rather have the manufacturer do the research and take the necessary steps to making a reliable turbocharged engine..vs tuning and rebuilding a brand new engine to accept forced induction.
QFT. I'd much rather have a car with a slightly over-built engine that was originally designed to sustain constant boost, than a car with an engine that was never intended to sustain boost with it's high compression ratio that I slapped an aftermarket turbo on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
What? Hyundai as a whole hasn't done shit or the GenCoupe? Hyundai should be given an award, and they are regularly given awards in magazine camparison tests, for their latest lineup. They decided to ditch their dull image and make some stylish, affordable, economic, fun to drive cars. Sure the GenCoupe is no road rocket, but it's an excellent start. Hyundai is earning my respect, Toyota better whack this FR-S out of the park. They've been overly boring since the Supra's demise.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #42
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
An aftermarket turbo would only void the warranty if its proven to be the component that caused the damage. Its not like they send your warranty paperwork to the shredder the moment the dealer hears a psst when you pull up.

Most of the times that I've heard people hide behind the warranty issue is because they are uncomfortable making this modification themselves. That's fine too.
Nope.
Will using 'aftermarket' parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
http://blog.stillen.com/2011/01/fede...ding-warranty/
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm

You just have to be smart about what parts you do change and who does the work.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote