follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #29
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wherever you got that paragraph from, ignore that person and never go to that site again because it is bullshit. Just because a tire is studdable does not make it useless without studs. That is moronic to even think. General winter tires are studdable, yet also have great reviews on here from many people without studs. Studs are almost not necessary at all any more unless someone drives a lot of dirt or gravel roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamawithonel View Post
There are three classes of winter tire: Studdable Snow, Studless Ice & Snow, and Performance Winter.

Studdable tires are the most extreme, able to get better traction on ice than even a summer tire can in the dry. But without studs, which are illegal in most our area, they are useless in almost all conditions-- dry snow might be OK.

Studless Ice & Snow tires are great all-around winter tires, working well on both snow and ice without studs, but they also give up a lot of dry/warm traction. I currently have a set of these, Michelin X-Ice Xi3s-- 'had them for two and half seasons now. I love them in the cold-wet, snow and Ice, but they really suck 95% of time around here. Be it dry or wet, when the temperature gets up around 35F or warmer they're quite a bit worse than the stock tires.

What I wish I had purchased are a good set of Performance Winter tires. Think of them as a winter-biased all-season tire. They do well on warm, dry surfaces, but their tread is designed to work well in snow and ice and the compounds are slightly biased to cold weather. On the downside, they don't do as well on snow or ice compared to the above classes and they wear out faster than all-seasons. But for our area, I think this is probably a good compromise.

From what I've read, the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II are the best of the Winter Performance class. I've even heard they can have better dry traction than summer touring tires due to their soft compound. Once my tires wear out, these are what I plan to get.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
IloveBaldEagles (01-24-2016), STV3 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
The General Altimax Arctics are pretty legit for a cheap option, too. Also squishy.
We love these tires, pretty sure they're one of the best bang for your buck snow tires out there.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #31
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
First time using winter tires (yokohama iceguard ig52c). I think any brand winter tires will get you through snows fine. This tire was rated few behind Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Ice, etc but it worked fine for me on snow and ice.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #32
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Wherever you got that paragraph from, ignore that person and never go to that site again because it is bullshit. Just because a tire is studdable does not make it useless without studs. That is moronic to even think. General winter tires are studdable, yet also have great reviews on here from many people without studs. Studs are almost not necessary at all any more unless someone drives a lot of dirt or gravel roads.
This^^^ I don't know where that info came from.

I've been using Firestone Winterforce's (studdable) with no studs for the past 4 years (on my other vehicle) and have plowed through any type of snow that was thrown at me. Have never gotten stuck, and have driven though foot deep snow.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #33
lamawithonel

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
"Useless" may have been an overstatement, by I stand by the sentiment. Studdable tires without studs are never as good as studless ice & snow tires. The compounds and tread patterns make some compromises, because they have to support the studs.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #34
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have had various blizzaks (don't remember the model) and they've all been good.
My wife's 128i had a set of pirelli sotozeros and I wasn't too impressed.
Swapped hers out for the cheapest tire that Discount Tire had - Champiro GT IcePro or something. They are a bit noisy but do SO well in the snow its insane. Not sure it'd be my choice, but i'll say i wouldn't pay the extra for the bridgestones when the time comes to replace mine next year.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #35
CandorLush

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited DGM 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Hypnotic View Post
Yeah I am sadly still on stock tired and doubt I will be able to get a set by tomorrow haha but I will definitely need to pick up a set do you just run the steel rims?
Sorry, just saw this, bought em off Craigslist and they came mounted on a set of MSW type 14's
CandorLush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #36
Jaywest717

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series
So...can someone explain to me why we had 400+ "accidents" on that first night of snow we had recently? Even cars with 4WD were having trouble. Do all these cars simply not believe in using snow tires or were the roads just that bad?

A friend of mine put snow tires on her car and when she tried to drive that first night, said she had less traction than some of the other cars on the road. I'm thinking she just had cheap snow tires, but who knows.
Jaywest717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #37
changy

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywest717 View Post
So...can someone explain to me why we had 400+ "accidents" on that first night of snow we had recently? Even cars with 4WD were having trouble. Do all these cars simply not believe in using snow tires or were the roads just that bad?

A friend of mine put snow tires on her car and when she tried to drive that first night, said she had less traction than some of the other cars on the road. I'm thinking she just had cheap snow tires, but who knows.
How does she know she has less traction? Some times people think they have snow tires/awd/4wd and therefore must be untouchable. A lot of factors such as feathering the gas, threshold braking, over inflating the tires come into play.

Sent from my NX507J using Tapatalk
changy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #38
Jaywest717

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by changy View Post
How does she know she has less traction? Some times people think they have snow tires/awd/4wd and therefore must be untouchable. A lot of factors such as feathering the gas, threshold braking, over inflating the tires come into play.

Sent from my NX507J using Tapatalk
She was sliding all over the place while everyone else was still somewhat stable. Believe me. I was just as confused as you may be. She uses snow tires every winter and said this was the first time this happened.

I guess I'm just curious if roads can become so bad, that no matter what kind of tires you use, it'll still be dangerous? (Before I drop $1200 on a set of performance snow tires and wheels)
Jaywest717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #39
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I had a lot of fun this week getting around on the Primacy's.
Hyper4mance2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #40
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywest717 View Post
She was sliding all over the place while everyone else was still somewhat stable. Believe me. I was just as confused as you may be. She uses snow tires every winter and said this was the first time this happened.

I guess I'm just curious if roads can become so bad, that no matter what kind of tires you use, it'll still be dangerous? (Before I drop $1200 on a set of performance snow tires and wheels)
not all snow tires are the same. It should not cost you $1200 either, that is nuts. I spend under $1000 for wheels and General snow tires. They are awesome in the snow. They are a little squishy if you do not pump them to 40 psi though.

Go to tirerack and look at the deals there.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #41
CandorLush

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited DGM 6MT
I was out in that first snow and it was VERY slippery, I am pretty sure it was teflon, not snow, that was falling. Felt like as soon as your tires hit the snow, it turned to ice and that was with my blizzaks.
CandorLush is offline   Reply With Quote