follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #29
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
I just need an aux plug and some speakers. No radio, no bluetooth, no screens, no headunit. Simple wiring is a plus.

Plan is, get a tablet dock and integrate it into the dash somehow; I'll be running everything through a tablet. That means high fidelity, HD movies, internet access, GPS, games, and FT86club <3 lol.

Amplifier and two(four?) alpine type Rs will comprise my sound system.

Although I do hope that we get a good security system with this car. As in, proximity keys would be a nice touch, along with a regular set. So that you must have the proximity key AND the physical key in order to start it. Or even a fingerprint scanner.
Whoa this is actually a good idea...I've always though tablets were completely useless, but this is pretty legit. A small tablet with a dock in your car would be an awesome replacement for the preinstalled bs which often has controls that make no sense and a crap screen. Plus you get internet mmmmmm. Tether to your phone so you don't need to pay the extra mobile data fee.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #30
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You guys may not need a radio or cd player but I certainly do. I dont use an ipod, ipad, iphone, I am anti-i everything so I need some decent multimedia at least until I buy my own aftermarket sound system
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #31
serialk11r

Garage
Me neither, I have an HTC Inspire 4G :P Plenty of non-"i" stuff that plays music. Galaxy Tab isn't bad from what I hear. Android >>>>>>> iOS anyday. CDs are incredibly inconvenient compared to digital storage.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #32
Sea1monkey2

Drives: 2003 Impala
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachica79 View Post
You guys may not need a radio or cd player but I certainly do. I dont use an ipod, ipad, iphone, I am anti-i everything so I need some decent multimedia at least until I buy my own aftermarket sound system
I'm also anti-i, but that doesnt mean avoid digital music. my windows phone has 10gb of music on it and thats been my music player for the past few years. havnt used the radio or the cd player once since i made the switch
Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
suprachica79

I like listening to alot of AM stations for the sports radio lol so I need the radio option and with the digital music storage I need to get with the times for sure but I'm so used to my cds and Im super lazy when it comes to downloading music
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #34
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I like listening to alot of AM stations for the sports radio lol so I need the radio option and with the digital music storage I need to get with the times for sure but I'm so used to my cds and Im super lazy when it comes to downloading music
I figure it takes more effort to keep changing CDs than it does downloading music
Quote:
Whoa this is actually a good idea...I've always though tablets were completely useless, but this is pretty legit. A small tablet with a dock in your car would be an awesome replacement for the preinstalled bs which often has controls that make no sense and a crap screen. Plus you get internet mmmmmm. Tether to your phone so you don't need to pay the extra mobile data fee.
Yep, when you leave the car you take the tablet with you so you never have to worry; and it's always charged . . . yep I wish more people would see the ingenuity behind it. The Dell Peju is the one Im waiting for, supposedly has awesome specs and will be able to run windows (or mac or even linux).
Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #35
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
All(~98%) I listen to is Sports Talk Radio, but I listen to it through my phone using the IHeartRadio app on my Android phone. It links via Bluetooth in my truck and through an AUX cable in my RX.

There is no reason to have a radio nowadays, unless you can't afford a smartphone. You can get all of your local radio stations FM/AM through random Apps on your cell phones. Just as easy to use as a radio with MUCH better clarity than an AM broadcast. That combined with MicroSD cards, they can be an all in one media source. I'm all for ditching the old school radio tuners, but I highly doubt they will. Not everyone has a smartphone.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #36
suprachica79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82mm 4g63 View Post
All(~98%) I listen to is Sports Talk Radio, but I listen to it through my phone using the IHeartRadio app on my Android phone. It links via Bluetooth in my truck and through an AUX cable in my RX.

There is no reason to have a radio nowadays, unless you can't afford a smartphone. You can get all of your local radio stations FM/AM through random Apps on your cell phones. Just as easy to use as a radio with MUCH better clarity than an AM broadcast. That combined with MicroSD cards, they can be an all in one media source. I'm all for ditching the old school radio tuners, but I highly doubt they will. Not everyone has a smartphone.
I honest to god didn't know there was an app for that because listening to AM when you aren't in range absolutely sucks. I have an LG Ally so I should be able to get that

Just dl'ed it, they don't have any of the stations I like to listen to...
Old 09-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #37
serialk11r

Garage
I've seen radio antenna + charger combos that plug into your phone...
But I think smartphones have built in radio receivers nowadays. Anyhow, I think it makes sense for a car to come with a radio though, because those cost and weigh basically nothing, but not a CD player because no one uses CDs anymore.

EDIT: I just checked my phone, it has FM but no AM. Probably exists an app to get AM though.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #38
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
I honest to god didn't know there was an app for that because listening to AM when you aren't in range absolutely sucks. I have an LG Ally so I should be able to get that

Just dl'ed it, they don't have any of the stations I like to listen to...
You have to go to your local radio stations websites. They almost always have some mobile app affiliation. It's how I found out about the two I use. IHeartRadio and SportsRadioDroid.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #39
KadeS

Drives: 2011 Audi S5
All I need is a 12v dc socket and a cassette player.
KadeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #40
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
At first I was sad when they said no CD player for the car, but I'm over it. I'll be happy with an aux in, maybe a USB port or a SD card port.

I have the app for my local radio station too to listen when I'm out of range since I drive out of it all the time, but damn if there isn't a huge delay. Can't ever call in and win stuff.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #41
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Three Connectors: Ipod Dock, Microusb Dock, Aux.

That way we can integrate android/blackberry and iphones into the car. I hope they only use 4 high quality speakers and a decent quality amp. Disc media is dead.

My phone can do everything else.

Galaxy S II for life! It's bloody amazing.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #42
serialk11r

Garage
I don't think there should be platform specific docking like for an iPod or something, but if they just have something that can read USB storage that's good. And please no Bose nonsense...not too many speakers, and whatever. Normal people do not need massive speakers to blast music so loud everyone on the street can feel a sickening rumble in their gut.