follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I think the car is cool and all, and I admire Tesla for pushing the envelope with the development of useable electric cars, but I don't see it as the "COTY". Why? Because I have yet to see one on a U.S. roadway. Also because Robert Cumberford, the design editor for Automobile magazine, didn't have anything particularly nice to say about it. Which car do I think deserves COTY? Well, that's a silly question. Look what forum we're on!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrX View Post
Last I had heard, Tesla expects to be cash-flow positive next quarter. A far cry from bankruptcy.

PayPal notwithstanding (even though he hasn't had any involvement in years), I greatly admire Elon Musk for the money he has dumped into the research and development of new technologies in respect to his electric car and space ventures. This is in contrast to the countless other millionaires and billionaires who only use their money to speculate on short-term investments.

In addition, his enterprises are remarkably vertically integrated. The great majority of the actual manufacturing of Tesla cars and SpaceX rockets is done in the US, rather than via international contractors. Keeping this money in the hands of US residents.

This is *good* for the country.
Is 'cash flow positive' the same thing as profitable? Just sounds like they have more investment or loans lined up.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
UPDATE: I researched (googled) "Motor Trend DeLorean":

Motor Tend selected the DeLorean car as "Import Car of the Year", April 1962.

Does history repeat itself??? We'll see.
Do I subscribe to Motor Trend? No.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would expect that Tesla will be further supported by the federal gov't (that's us). We'll just have to wait and see.

Haven't read the Motor Trend report yet. I wonder what their evaluation was for the DeLorean. Any car historians out there?

Also, isn't Tesla in the process of developing am more broadly-marketed vehicle?
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
M-17 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #32
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BRB trading in BRZ for a Telsa.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
BRB trading in BRZ for a Telsa.
I could end up cross-shopping a GT86 and Tesla Model S.
Base Models S is cheaper than a GT86 here. And the performance version costs about a 1/3 of BMW M5.

No need to say Tesla is starting to get well known where I come from. People are queuing up to get the car.

Definitely a worthy winner!
I made this thread, and most people tought the Tesla would win. No surprise it did. Most innovating EV the market have ever seen. And the first good EV in terms of range, performance, cabin space, luggage space, technology, premium feel, looks, etc..
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Regarding being "SOL on charging locations": the Suppy will follow the Demand as have gas stations during the growing popularity of horseless carraiges.
Then what? Wait a number of hours to charge your car? Supply and demand isn't the solution.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #35
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
And many will prefer a quieter powerplant. You wouldn't take an electric vehicle on a long trip (at least not with a well-developed plan) any more than you'd take a 19' sailboat across the Atlantic, of course.
Hehe people have crossed the Atlantic in far less That said - +1 to all your points and *currently* electric vehicles are not suited to long trips, but it's looking a lot like it's only a matter of time before there's enough charging infrastructure (and maybe even battery-swapping technology, logistics and infrastructure) to change that.

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #36
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Obviously, big projects require huge investment, but Musk has demonstrated that he's responsible with large-scale projects and he gets results. He's not just in it for a buck, he wants to DO stuff, and he has demonstrated that he's capable of getting incredible results (private firm creates vehicle that docks with the space station, this is no small feat).
As a matter fact, he doesn't even have to be in it for a buck because he's already very wealthy.

He started with the Roadster because he wanted to show the world that electrics can be cool, that they don't have to be just the street-legal 30mph golf carts we'd seen before. He used the Elise to base it on because that was more practicable than starting completely from zero and because he was able to partner with Lotus. Now that he's shown what's possible, he's moving on to other categories of vehicles. Word is that they already have other vehicles in the pipeline e.g. an SUV.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
I could end up cross-shopping a GT86 and Tesla Model S.
Base Models S is cheaper than a GT86 here. And the performance version costs about a 1/3 of BMW M5.

No need to say Tesla is starting to get well known where I come from. People are queuing up to get the car.

Definitely a worthy winner!
I made this thread, and most people tought the Tesla would win. No surprise it did. Most innovating EV the market have ever seen. And the first good EV in terms of range, performance, cabin space, luggage space, technology, premium feel, looks, etc..
How much charging infrastructure do you have in Norway? In the US, it's starting to pick up a little bit in California (i.e. Tesla is building a whole network expressly for owners of their cars, where they will be able to recharge for free) but not much elsewhere. Until this is solved, electrics will be a tough sell in the US.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #38
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
I like the idea of rapid battery switching. But quick change batteries would need to be engineered with the car from the start. Plus there is the potential for abuse given battery condition. But I think driving up to a 'service station' and having someone change your batteries and wash your windows in 5minutes, like the old days, would appeal to more people than having to park at charging stations. Or instead of the battery jockeys, it could be automated.

It will come, but I don't think $100k vanity cars are going to do it.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #39
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Like it or not the internal combustion engine is going to start declining in popularity and the demand for alternative fuel/electric vehicles is going to continue to rise. That said, I love the model S and I'm glad it won car of the year. An electric vehicle is great for daily commuting and there are a lot of people with a "beater" for a daily driver; why not get a daily driver that'll save you a ton of money?

I'll use myself for example, I drive roughly 250 miles a week it'd be very generous to say I do 50 miles a day to and from work so the extra should account for miscellaneous trips. Telsa offers a 300mile battery pack and a full charge from empty to full is roughly $16. That's about $16 a week give or take, and my current car costs me almost $50 a week.

Track car, daily driver, and I personally rent large vehicles for long trips seeing as I don't do the road trip thing very often.

I respect Elon Musk immensely, I respect any businessman with the good sense to step away from the mold and actually invest in the future of humanity. It's not all about short term investments and quarterly gains, all that shows is that you can make money given the current situation. Those are the companies that tend to tank when the world is ready to change.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #40
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
been considering the Tesla but the one we'd want is still cost prohibitive from a cell cost -$77k too much.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #41
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Face it, if we all had 60k to drop on a new car, this would not be what we would look at. This would be so far down the bottom of my list. Not to mention can you even find a dealer if you wanted to buy one...
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorb View Post
Face it, if we all had 60k to drop on a new car, this would not be what we would look at. This would be so far down the bottom of my list. Not to mention can you even find a dealer if you wanted to buy one...
  1. Speak for yourself
  2. There is a dealer at the mall 9 minutes from my job and 25 minutes from my house
If I owned a house or lived in an apartment building with a garage charging station and was in the market for a dedicated Daily Driver this would actually be at the TOP of my list.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote