follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sster, you'll never see me put a 'lightweight' pulley on the nose of one of my cranks. You're more likely to find a heavier replacement damper, sure

However, not having ripped into an FA yet, I know we didn't have much (any) meat with witch to add weight to EJ cranks but things have faired just fine that way. It's not ideal but to be having been in this game for a while, not many customers would be willing to pay for something that they'll get no noticeable gain from.

With that being said, I still always aim for the lightest internals to get the job done. Case and point, I have EJ rods as light as 490 grams in 300M and then I have a beefy 4340 VAR rod weighing 544 grams for general drag race flogging and numerous other rods tucked in between.

To further have fun on how much this isn't a big deal; an EJ18, EJ20 and EJ22 have the same crank but their rod and piston combos vary a good deal in weight...they left the factory that way.
Same can be said for the early EJ255/7 blocks and EJ251 (NA) cranks and internal masses.

As for the offset in the bores, I'm well aware of what it is but when they are 180* apart, the other half is still balanced out OR are you referring to the offset in piston accelerations throwing off balances?
I don't see how the offset plays any effect in the balance. They are still 180* countered by another cylinder, unlike a V....?
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
sster, you'll never see me put a 'lightweight' pulley on the nose of one of my cranks. You're more likely to find a heavier replacement damper, sure
Do you think a lightweight pulley could cause detonation? Either through crankshaft deflection or something else farther above my head?

Also paging @arghx7
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
fa5tco

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I love how the internet engineers that dont make custom parts think they know more than the companies that have been doing so reliably for years and years. The car forum arrogance never ceases to amaze me
fa5tco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa5tco View Post
I love how the internet engineers that dont make custom parts think they know more than the companies that have been doing so reliably for years and years. The car forum arrogance never ceases to amaze me

And you are their Ideal customer, blissfully unaware of the screwing you are paying for by being an uninformed consumer.

There aren't any people to the best of my knowledge in this thread that aren't qualified to make their statements.

But then again you know what we all do for our "real" jobs right?...

There is a difference between claiming ignorance and expressing it in your actions...
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (09-11-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
And you are their Ideal customer, blissfully unaware of the screwing you are paying for by being an uninformed consumer.

There aren't any people to the best of my knowledge in this thread that aren't qualified to make their statements.

There is a difference between claiming ignorance and expressing it in your actions...

If you don't like a part that a company offers, don't buy it. Im reading your posts and like you said, I don't know you or what you do so I don't take your posts to seriously. If your so concerned about these rods why don't you talk to the guy who made them not just ranting on some internet page that more then likely will never be seen my manufacturer. I'm going to guess that they have reasons for making a part the way they did.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #34
fa5tco

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Right. I wouldnt know I guess. All those high HP cars Ive owned, and never had a motor pop and not once did I try to act like I knew more than the VERY reputable company that makes the parts I put into my motor. I havent been screwed yet and I also didnt act like a fucking windbag at the companies who made the parts for my cars either.

Signed

Blissfully unaware.
fa5tco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
@FullBlown I'm assuming you will have a few options with your short block offering. Do you have any price point in mind or a goal?

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
SkullWorks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa5tco View Post
Right. I wouldnt know I guess. All those high HP cars Ive owned, and never had a motor pop and not once did I try to act like I knew more than the VERY reputable company that makes the parts I put into my motor. I havent been screwed yet and I also didnt act like a fucking windbag at the companies who made the parts for my cars either.

Signed

Blissfully unaware.

Oh a little tit for tat with a "internet Engineer" and you get all butt hurt?

don't start what you can't finish, I expressed my specific concerns to the company making the parts...they want to keep their manufacturer secret and are telling us how credible the company is in this thread.

There are 2 types of people out there, those that operate on Blind Faith, and those who prefer to understand. I prefer to understand, and you have obviously chosen your own path...just don't throw rocks from the low road...we have the gravitational advantage up here...

Angrily Enlightened
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (01-27-2016), Sbeezy (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
@FullBlown I'm assuming you will have a few options with your short block offering. Do you have any price point in mind or a goal?
We have short blocks available. A few different options. I will release the price and details shortly.
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FullBlown For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (09-11-2013), swift996 (09-11-2013), Tansey86 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
FullBlown

Quote:
Oh a little tit for tat with a "internet Engineer" and you get all butt hurt?

don't start what you can't finish, I expressed my specific concerns to the company making the parts...they want to keep their manufacturer secret and are telling us how credible the company is in this thread.

There are 2 types of people out there, those that operate on Blind Faith, and those who prefer to understand. I prefer to understand, and you have obviously chosen your own path...just don't throw rocks from the low road...we have the gravitational advantage up here...

Angrily Enlightened
I never said that we are keeping it a secret. I was more than happy to put you in touch with the engineer behind these rods.

PM me your email address and I can have him explain any concerns you may have.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #39
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBlown View Post
We have short blocks available. A few different options. I will release the price and details shortly.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
Tansey86

Drives: 2003 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Sleeved 2.2 stroker please and thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
SkullWorks
Banned

Quote:
I never said that we are keeping it a secret. I was more than happy to put you in touch with the engineer behind these rods.

PM me your email address and I can have him explain any concerns you may have.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to reflect on your company what so ever, which is why I said in his thread, it was clear captain troll hadn't looked outside this thread for any of his clarity.

BTW where did the pictures go?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #42
FullBlown

Quote:
Sorry, this wasn't meant to reflect on your company what so ever, which is why I said in his thread, it was clear captain troll hadn't looked outside this thread for any of his clarity.

BTW where did the pictures go?
Photobucket wanted more money
The Following User Says Thank You to FullBlown For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (09-11-2013)