follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
LSxJunkie

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi86 View Post
im gonna say its going to be hard to souce 2nd wheels from japan to fit, prefect under this car... 5x100 is a kick in the balls
Nope. Tons of 5x100 wheels out there. WRX owners are a huge market for wheel companies.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Drives: '11 Legacy, '89 190E, '78 GS1000
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
I highly doubt a modified suspension would void the warranty?!.. Your not touching any "in oil" part of the car... My dealer already knows about my intentions and is alright with that.
really? awesome then. I havent had to deal with warranty on a car yet, so i was just assuming....
Kuzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #31
zAnSh1n
♥カレー大好き !!

Drives: ♿
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
10mm less inboard clearance, 16mm extended outward compared to 17x7+48.
stockers are 17x7.5 +48, no?

iirc...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #32
LSxJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
really? awesome then. I havent had to deal with warranty on a car yet, so i was just assuming....
Depends on what fails.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAnSh1n View Post
stockers are 17x7.5 +48, no?

iirc...
I recall 17*7+48. It's somewhere on this website, that's for sure.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
zAnSh1n
♥カレー大好き !!

Drives: ♿
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I recall 17*7+48. It's somewhere on this website, that's for sure.
gotcha, not that big o' deal...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
Getagrip

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It's 17x7 per the owner manual

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0I...MnBOR0wzd194Zw

+48mm per reliable sources
Getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #36
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Putting aftermarket coilovers will NOT automatically void your whole warranty. It CAN compromise parts of the warranty. Anything that may fail as a DIRECT RESULT of the non standard factory may be knocked back.
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #37
faz1

Drives: Audi A1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think the whole "will it affect my warranty" situation is down to the particular manufacturer. Hopefully Toyota/Subaru will be fairly good as they are embracing the aftermarket world. Others not so good, MINI said my entire warranty would be void if I fitted lowering springs to my wife's Cooper S. Other recent lowlights; Porsche voided the warranty on a friends 911 when he fitted updated suspension and Ferrari said they would not honour the warranty on his new 458 because he'd replaced the standard carbon brakes with steeled.
faz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz1 View Post
I think the whole "will it affect my warranty" situation is down to the particular manufacturer. Hopefully Toyota/Subaru will be fairly good as they are embracing the aftermarket world. Others not so good, MINI said my entire warranty would be void if I fitted lowering springs to my wife's Cooper S. Other recent lowlights; Porsche voided the warranty on a friends 911 when he fitted updated suspension and Ferrari said they would not honour the warranty on his new 458 because he'd replaced the standard carbon brakes with steeled.
And that is false information... here is the LAW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

In short, manufacturers CANNOT void your entire warranty because of "aftermarket" parts, however, they can deny warranty claims if they determine specific aftermarket parts have caused an issue. For example: if you install lowering springs and your struts fail, the manufacturer is well within their legal rights to deny a warranty claim on replacement struts. However, if you install lowering springs and something happens to the engine, the manufacturer is still legally bound to honor the warranty because those lowering springs have no affect on the engine.

If you have friends with Porsche 911 and Ferraris, they should be able to hire lawyers that will tell them the exact same thing I've posted here... it's basic law.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #39
LSxJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post

In short, manufacturers CANNOT void your entire warranty because of "aftermarket" parts, however, they can deny warranty claims if they determine specific aftermarket parts have caused an issue. For example: if you install lowering springs and your struts fail, the manufacturer is well within their legal rights to deny a warranty claim on replacement struts. However, if you install lowering springs and something happens to the engine, the manufacturer is still legally bound to honor the warranty because those lowering springs have no affect on the engine.

If you have friends with Porsche 911 and Ferraris, they should be able to hire lawyers that will tell them the exact same thing I've posted here... it's basic law.
That is incomplete analysis of the Magnuson-Moss Act. There is nothing in the Act that applies to vehicle aftermarket parts. The relevant section you're looking for is 15 USC 2304(c). In any case, the Act does not apply to faz1.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #40
Mach V Dan
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2015 WRX, 2000 RSTi
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post

In short, manufacturers CANNOT void your entire warranty because of "aftermarket" parts, however, they can deny warranty claims if they determine specific aftermarket parts have caused an issue.
This is exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
That is incomplete analysis of the Magnuson-Moss Act. There is nothing in the Act that applies to vehicle aftermarket parts. The relevant section you're looking for is 15 USC 2304(c). In any case, the Act does not apply to faz1.
This is not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC
Title 16: Commercial Practices

CHAPTER I: FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

SUBCHAPTER G: RULES, REGULATIONS, STATEMENTS AND INTERPRETATIONS UNDER THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

PART 700: INTERPRETATIONS OF MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

700.10 - Section 102(c).

(a) Section 102(c) prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC'? parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty.
--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #41
LSxJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
This is exactly right.

This is not right.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Ah yes. You're right. I've searched high and low for that language and could never find it, and completely forgot to check the CFR. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 CFR 700.10 - Section 102(c)
These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102 (c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of “unauthorized” articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.
However, this piece of code still doesn't apply to faz1. I am not at all familiar with Britain's treatment of warranties.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #42
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Ah yes. You're right. I've searched high and low for that language and could never find it, and completely forgot to check the CFR. Thanks for that.

However, this piece of code still doesn't apply to faz1. I am not at all familiar with Britain's treatment of warranties.
OOPS! Yeah, I missed that, it doesn't apply to faz1... sorry. But for us in the U.S., everyone should be aware of this.