follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #29
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
[Fanboy]Grimmspeed or drop-in. No other real choices since G/S came onto the scene.[/Fanboy]

For real, I love mine. G/S are great guys, too.. so there's that. Been running their electronic boost solenoid in my WRX pushing 18psi on the stock TD04 snail for over 7 years, no issues. All of their products are thoughtful, designed to maximum benefit, and made in America. What more could you ask?
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
golfyankee2121 (04-27-2015), x1UP (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #30
Davf24

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did the TRD intake and LOVE it. Built for the car.
Davf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davf24 For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #31
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I second GrimmSpeed. I love their products so much that my whole entire engine bay is dressed with their parts. Anything they made for the BRZ/FRS, I have it on there. They do some real quality stuff and they've proven it.

In the end though, it's up to you and based on those three that you posted, I would go for Takeda.
golfyankee2121 (04-27-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #32
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Interesting opinions on the GrimmSpeed intake... Maybe it's because the shop I went to didn't stock it and they wanted a sale, but they had NOTHING good to say about GS when I asked about the GS intake.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #33
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,958 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd say drop in is sufficient enough. And filter wise, all are about the same. I use the Cosworth filter. Good enough for government work.

See, straight forward. Not hard at all. So much easier than saying, Search. right? hahahahha
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #34
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I'd say drop in is sufficient enough. And filter wise, all are about the same. I use the Cosworth filter. Good enough for government work.

See, straight forward. Not hard at all. So much easier than saying, Search. right? hahahahha
Lol. It's as easy as nagging someone and saying search.
I searched the other day and then got called it for posting on an old post... Can't win here
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #35
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,958 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Lol. It's as easy as nagging someone and saying search.
I searched the other day and then got called it for posting on an old post... Can't win here
I know. But it's the internet after all haha
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #36
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Interesting opinions on the GrimmSpeed intake... Maybe it's because the shop I went to didn't stock it and they wanted a sale, but they had NOTHING good to say about GS when I asked about the GS intake.
their opinions don't mean much when G/S does the research that shows their methodology and approach..

but then again, intakes don't mean much unless we're talking about some serious min maxing here. Quality wise, G/S is hard to beat. Hands down..

Check out their stock intake testing thread.. some awesome information about the stock intake system and thus, the foundation thought process that went into their intake development mindset.

Perhaps Grimmspeed's greatest quality is their thoughtfulness combined with technology. This should speak volumes about their specific intake configuration that anyone can understand:

"Using our FARO Arm, we were able to MAP the engine bay in 3D to ensure a perfect fitment. We used that working envelope to maximise performance by eliminating the 90 degree bend just before the airbox. We found that this contributed to decreased resistance, but also helped with accurate MAF readings. We placed the MAF sensor inside the airbox to ensure that the heat from the motor and headers didn't skew it's readings."

I've tuned my engine with Grimmspeed intake and OFH, based on the OTS v2.06 petrol UEL map... fuel trims below 3% at any load/voltage/rpm bucket, with most hovering around 0-0.78%... absolutely no IAM drop, very rare tip-in knock and FLKC only in heavy traffic, where IATs climb to 120F+... and while I can't say with authority that my MAF readings are more "accurate" or if I've really made gobs of power over a drop-in filter, but all of these qualities about their setup in conjunction with my logs and butt dyno make me a very happy customer. So glad I didn't have a crappy fitting intake, or worse, one that skews MAF placement or readings and thus is detrimental to the engine. It simply "works".

Oh and... to the shop.. I wager their products have been used, abused, and proven on WRX and STI platforms since before that shop was open.. no offense to them. Unless they're a huge tuning house, then I'll put my foot in my mouth.

Last edited by Koa; 03-10-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Strife26 (03-10-2015), x1UP (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #37
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
their opinions don't mean much when G/S does the research that shows their methodology and approach..

but then again, intakes don't mean much unless we're talking about some serious min maxing here. Quality wise, G/S is hard to beat. Hands down..

Check out their testing thread.. some awesome information about the stock intake system and thus, the thought process that went into their intake.

I wager their products have been proven on WRX and STI platforms since before that shop was open.. no offense to them. Unless they're a huge tuning house, then I'll put my foot in my mouth.
They may or may not be a vendor on here, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm able to say.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #38
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
They may or may not be a vendor on here, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm able to say.
speak freely.. you're not their employee, are you? Don't have to name drop but what exactly did they say about G/S and what evidence have they put forth that backs their claims up?

or were they just trying to get a sale from one of the intakes they had in stock because people aren't fooled by most of the subpar offerings and they aren't flying off the shelves?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #39
fantah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My 2 cents.... Get the one with the biggest tubing and best cone. This will get you the most air.
fantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #40
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantah View Post
My 2 cents.... Get the one with the biggest tubing and best cone. This will get you the most air.
hmm..........
Strife26 (03-10-2015), TheVoiceOfReason (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #41
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
speak freely.. you're not their employee, are you? Don't have to name drop but what exactly did they say about G/S and what evidence have they put forth that backs their claims up?

or were they just trying to get a sale from one of the intakes they had in stock because people aren't fooled by most of the subpar offerings and they aren't flying off the shelves?
They didn't have much to say apart from "over-engineered" garbage and "unproven gains" really. At the end of the day, I walked out of their shop with an intake they had in stock because they knocked a bunch off the price and it worked out to less than half of the GS intake, with exchange rate and conversion taken into account. With that said, still want the GS intake and if my AEM sells, that's what I'll be getting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-10-2015), Strife26 (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #42
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
They didn't have much to say apart from "over-engineered" garbage and "unproven gains" really. At the end of the day, I walked out of their shop with an intake they had in stock because they knocked a bunch off the price and it worked out to less than half of the GS intake, with exchange rate and conversion taken into account. With that said, still want the GS intake and if my AEM sells, that's what I'll be getting.
Nothing wrong with most of AEMs stuff.. I have their AFR failsafe setup in my WRX and it's well made. Their strut tower bar for the FRS- at least the one I got- was a piece of shit that got stuck on my car for a few days (and another member chiming in saying he had the same symptoms- bolt holes around the firewall didn't line up, hard to get off, etc)... but their electronics and intake departments are pretty well regarded.

Intakes are tricky. I've tuned for the stock airbox, stock airbox with modified snorkel, stock airbox with drop in filter, and the G/S intake only... but by far the easiest for me to tune with was the G/S intake. Stock MAF location, less heatsoak due to the MAF sensor being enclosed, and the air straightener all make for a very easy time tuning.

The stock airbox wasn't the hardest to rescale without significant increase in knock or tip-in, but the G/S just performs as promised. "Over-engineered" assertion I would be very skeptical about, because few else easy bolt ons can ruin an engine as fast as a shit intake..

I'm having a brain fart, but one member is now legendary because he didn't listen to other people and ran an intake that ended up blowing his engine and despite people's repeat suggestions, ran it until the very end. Anyone know of that thread?
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
x1UP (03-10-2015)