follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #3655
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That works turbo kit put down some great numbers....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #3656
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sad times, got a p0018 coming to work today. Reading around about it doesn't sound good. I can't help but think it is related to this tune (jackson racing CARB) or kit somehow. I have had the car for 3 years and ~60k miles without issue.

I am out of warranty now so I will try to find a solution.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #3657
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
Sad times, got a p0018 coming to work today. Reading around about it doesn't sound good. I can't help but think it is related to this tune (jackson racing CARB) or kit somehow. I have had the car for 3 years and ~60k miles without issue.

P0018 cannot be caused by the kit or tune. First year model cars had the issue where it kept throwing these codes. There was a ECU flash update that fixed the issue. This should have been done before the installation of the kit, as stated in the instructions.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #3658
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMChris View Post
P0018 cannot be caused by the kit or tune. First year model cars had the issue where it kept throwing these codes. There was a ECU flash update that fixed the issue. This should have been done before the installation of the kit, as stated in the instructions.
I appreciate the response but the instructions (here: http://jacksonracing.com/pdf/instruc...brz_manual.pdf) don't mention anything about the ecu being flashed before hand.

So I am unsure if this was ever done. The car was manufactured 12/12 and I bought it in 2/13 and had the dealer do oil changes for the first year so would they usually apply something like this or would I have to have requested it? If it is the one mentioned here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52979 then I don't have the underhood sticker it mentions one page 4 but that isn't conclusive.

Either way if I am no longer running the stock ECU firmware and am instead running the JR CARB ecutek tune, then does this tsb even apply? If I go back to stock, get the dealer to flash, then flash back to JR tune is the end result any different than what I have now?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #3659
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I appreciate the response but the instructions (here: http://jacksonracing.com/pdf/instruc...brz_manual.pdf) don't mention anything about the ecu being flashed before hand.
If you look at the first page of your instructions included with your system, it will say:
"Please refer to the Genuine Toyota or Subaru Service Manual for all mechanical and safety procedures. Make sure all vehicle updates and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) have been completed before installation."

As discussed via email, this is not related to the supercharger system or CARB calibration. The OBD2 system is not altered by our supercharger or CARB calibration. The functions and warning that pop up are all still legitimate OEM warnings. Example: If the ECU said you had a P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High code, it would still mean there is an issue with the fuel sensor. That would not be the fault of the supercharger system or the CARB calibration.

-Oscar Jr.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-24-2016), Icecreamtruk (08-25-2016), kasikuusi (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #3660
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:

The chances of this code being caused by the Jackson kit or tune are precisely....0%.

This code is caused by a very well documented mechanical issue that plagued a very good chunk of 2013, and even 2014 model year vehicles for this platform. It is recognized worldwide by both Toyota and Subaru, and occurs on vehicles from bone stock to wildly modified.

It would be wise to heed Jackson's advice and pursue having a qualified technician address this fairly common issue. I have personally seen this issue both arise and subsequently be resolved at the OEM level more times than I care to remember, and I'm sure Jackson Racing is in the same boat there.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-24-2016), Icecreamtruk (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:32 AM   #3661
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
any videos of pulls or anything? cant seem to find much on youtube
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 AM   #3662
etc

Thanks for the responses guys (and jackson racing). I think the part I was missing and it took me a little while to get is that you are saying that the ecutek tune does not overwrite the entire ecu program memory, only part of it. So the OBDII sections of the ecu will be whatever they were at the last version that toyota wrote to it.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #3663
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys (and jackson racing). I think the part I was missing and it took me a little while to get is that you are saying that the ecutek tune does not overwrite the entire ecu program memory, only part of it. So the OBDII sections of the ecu will be whatever they were at the last version that toyota wrote to it.
Mostly yes. Only the parts that alter how the engine runs (e.g. fueling, timing) are modified. Everything else is left alone to preserve as much OEM functionality as possible.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 AM   #3664
benzz280

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question for fitting this kit to a RHD model: where will the rotrex oil reservoir tank reside since the car battery is in place of the brake booster?
benzz280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #3665
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
The chances of this code being caused by the Jackson kit or tune are precisely....0%.

This code is caused by a very well documented mechanical issue that plagued a very good chunk of 2013, and even 2014 model year vehicles for this platform. It is recognized worldwide by both Toyota and Subaru, and occurs on vehicles from bone stock to wildly modified.

It would be wise to heed Jackson's advice and pursue having a qualified technician address this fairly common issue. I have personally seen this issue both arise and subsequently be resolved at the OEM level more times than I care to remember, and I'm sure Jackson Racing is in the same boat there.

Sincerely,

Zach

Delicious Tuning

Zach or others, I have a 2013 BRZ and was curious if the p0018 code eventually plagues all early build cars or is it still a small percentage? And if it does happen, can it only be resolved at the dealership or any competent garage? I did a search and it seems like a common code but the fix is all over the place, from ECU replacement, to cam sensor replacement to some other mechanical fixes. And it seems like even after these fixes, the code still pops up. If there's a p0018 definitive fix thread, please point me to it. Just want to learn more!
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #3666
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Zach or others, I have a 2013 BRZ and was curious if the p0018 code eventually plagues all early build cars or is it still a small percentage? And if it does happen, can it only be resolved at the dealership or any competent garage? I did a search and it seems like a common code but the fix is all over the place, from ECU replacement, to cam sensor replacement to some other mechanical fixes. And it seems like even after these fixes, the code still pops up. If there's a p0018 definitive fix thread, please point me to it. Just want to learn more!
Tons of threads on this already, please post there... This has nothing to do with the JRSC
Old 08-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #3667
Aaronimoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Has anyone experienced any 'rev hang' around 2,000rpms when driving through parking lots and such?

I usually notice it when I disengage the clutch and it only lasts for like 2 seconds then idles.

Last edited by Aaronimoe; 08-29-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Aaronimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #3668
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
If you look at the first page of your instructions included with your system, it will say:
"Please refer to the Genuine Toyota or Subaru Service Manual for all mechanical and safety procedures. Make sure all vehicle updates and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) have been completed before installation."

As discussed via email, this is not related to the supercharger system or CARB calibration. The OBD2 system is not altered by our supercharger or CARB calibration. The functions and warning that pop up are all still legitimate OEM warnings. Example: If the ECU said you had a P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High code, it would still mean there is an issue with the fuel sensor. That would not be the fault of the supercharger system or the CARB calibration.

-Oscar Jr.
I'm looking to get jrsc in the future and if i have no symptom or code.. can I go to the dealer and have the ecu reflash before installing the jrsc? if not, what happen if I install and later down the road, this code shows up?
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote