follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #323
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnWishes View Post
Jive Turkey,

I'm glad we found some way to install those cup holders for you.

The FR-S's cup holder problem is serious. Having driven my sister's roughly-10-cup-holder 2011 Honda Fit, I realized there is no such thing as too many cup holders.
Had a Fit myself. So many cupholders. I'm pretty sure it was a selling point in the brochure.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 AM   #324
Vic
63 Auto Body

Drives: 2013 SCION FR-S WHITEOUT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
nice build!

If we all pool up money to buy you a kitten, can you make a DIY on those door straps?
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vic For This Useful Post:
MaXimus (02-29-2016), Simon99 (01-12-2015), Teclis (04-03-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #325
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The door straps are pretty awesome. If you take apart the door handle assembly, you can see how @Jive Turkey did it, as he's "simply" attaching the straps to the latch, if memory serves. There's a post detailing it. Edit: Found one of the posts: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=150 Its not a plug-and-play solution, but the concept is pretty straightforward.

I've thought about doing it myself, but I'd probably want to engineer something to change which direction to pull the straps. Otherwise the GF would complain too much JT has mentioned there's not much room in there though, so not sure how feasible it really is.

Last edited by rlpaul; 01-12-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added link to post.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #326
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
nice build!

If we all pool up money to buy you a kitten, can you make a DIY on those door straps?
get me a french bulldog and i'll put together some serious interior DIY's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
The door straps are pretty awesome. If you take apart the door handle assembly, you can see how @Jive Turkey did it, as he's "simply" attaching the straps to the latch, if memory serves. There's a post detailing it. Edit: Found one of the posts: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=150 Its not a plug-and-play solution, but the concept is pretty straightforward.

I've thought about doing it myself, but I'd probably want to engineer something to change which direction to pull the straps. Otherwise the GF would complain too much JT has mentioned there's not much room in there though, so not sure how feasible it really is.
for starters, anyone who is local is always welcomed to come and see for yourself how it works.

right now yeah, you have to pull it towards the front of the car, not the inside center of the car, but they way the strap hands, every passenger seems to understand how to operate it, have yet to have a problem where the door can't be opened.

myself and jason, well mostly jason, are working on a plug and play kit for the GR and BRZ. the issue is, like i said, the very limited space and the fact that we have to engineer this from scratch. i've come very close using a set of pulleys, but its just not smooth enough for me to be satisfied so i went back to what i have now.

the go cart cables linked above, they need to be modified and you will use only one of those black locking hinge things.

so long story short, we are working on a kit.

but if you guys want to take a dive and try to make it yourself, i've always wondered if this kit would be able to be retrofitted into our car, but i really don't think it will work because the mechanism itself is different in our cars...and we have the lock tumbler.

http://www.rennline.com/PDF/DH20_Install.pdf

i plan to tackle the cupholders once i find new dash trim for cheap, i refuse to spend money on new ones that i will hack to pieces.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jive Turkey For This Useful Post:
Teclis (04-03-2015), Vic (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #327
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Did you see this? Dash trim pieces for sale.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80367
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #328
Vic
63 Auto Body

Drives: 2013 SCION FR-S WHITEOUT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
get me a french bulldog and i'll put together some serious interior DIY's

for starters, anyone who is local is always welcomed to come and see for yourself how it works.

right now yeah, you have to pull it towards the front of the car, not the inside center of the car, but they way the strap hands, every passenger seems to understand how to operate it, have yet to have a problem where the door can't be opened.

myself and jason, well mostly jason, are working on a plug and play kit for the GR and BRZ. the issue is, like i said, the very limited space and the fact that we have to engineer this from scratch. i've come very close using a set of pulleys, but its just not smooth enough for me to be satisfied so i went back to what i have now.

the go cart cables linked above, they need to be modified and you will use only one of those black locking hinge things.

so long story short, we are working on a kit.

but if you guys want to take a dive and try to make it yourself, i've always wondered if this kit would be able to be retrofitted into our car, but i really don't think it will work because the mechanism itself is different in our cars...and we have the lock tumbler.

http://www.rennline.com/PDF/DH20_Install.pdf

i plan to tackle the cupholders once i find new dash trim for cheap, i refuse to spend money on new ones that i will hack to pieces.
Im in Staten Island so I guess im close to you haha. Ima try to do the door pulls when its warmer. But if there are any big meets/events this year, I'll see you around man.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #329
MooseWRX

Drives: 2014 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll order my black interior pieces tomorrow when I get in contact with a friend that works at the local Toyota dealership. Once it's ordered I'll ask my brother in law to take out the dash pieces for you. Is the price of shipping cheap enough?
MooseWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #330
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Jive Turkey,

How easily did the JPM Alcantara wrap onto the center console? I have a couple of feet and may wrap mine if it isn't too difficult to adhere and make smooth.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #331
SolemnWishes

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to be honest and confess that the anticipation is killing me. I checked this section of the forums almost daily, waiting for an update.

Naturally, cupholders was my primary comment on Scion's new car survey.

Don't be too much of a tease.
SolemnWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #332
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
Did you see this? Dash trim pieces for sale.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80367
pm'ed him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseWRX View Post
I'll order my black interior pieces tomorrow when I get in contact with a friend that works at the local Toyota dealership. Once it's ordered I'll ask my brother in law to take out the dash pieces for you. Is the price of shipping cheap enough?
if the above linked seller doesn't get back to me i'll gladly buy yours, i'm not here to rob you of money, we will talk if i need it, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
Im in Staten Island so I guess im close to you haha. Ima try to do the door pulls when its warmer. But if there are any big meets/events this year, I'll see you around man.
i have a meet every tuesday, probably 25 minute drive from outerbridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
Jive Turkey,

How easily did the JPM Alcantara wrap onto the center console? I have a couple of feet and may wrap mine if it isn't too difficult to adhere and make smooth.
JPM didn't do my interior. Alcantara is a stand alone material that is made in italy vs suede/microsuede/etc.

couple of feet of what? i originally wrapped my interior in micro suede, it faded to purple rather fast.

if you have real alcantara then go for it, i would hate to have you wrap it and have it fade.

wrapping isn't hard, but its 100% tricky. you need good glue and gotta work fast. i know jason (overland-designs.com) uses a steamer to make it perfect.

the glue doesn't really clump, so making it smooth isn't the issue. the issue is all the curves and contours and making clean folds/cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnWishes View Post
I have to be honest and confess that the anticipation is killing me. I checked this section of the forums almost daily, waiting for an update.

Naturally, cupholders was my primary comment on Scion's new car survey.

Don't be too much of a tease.
sorry! i just have so much going on the car is one of the last things on my mind.

bar exam and student debt is what takes up most of my free time
Old 01-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #333
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
JPM didn't do my interior. Alcantara is a stand alone material that is made in italy vs suede/microsuede/etc.

couple of feet of what? i originally wrapped my interior in micro suede, it faded to purple rather fast.

if you have real alcantara then go for it, i would hate to have you wrap it and have it fade.

wrapping isn't hard, but its 100% tricky. you need good glue and gotta work fast. i know jason (overland-designs.com) uses a steamer to make it perfect.

the glue doesn't really clump, so making it smooth isn't the issue. the issue is all the curves and contours and making clean folds/cuts.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know JPM didn't do your interior, I assumed that's where you got alcantara. I have 2 yards (sorry not 2 feet) of alcantara from JPM. That's what I may use to wrap my console. I appreciate the tips for installing it. My wife has a clothing steamer I can use to help keep it smooth. Keep up the good work and good luck on the exam!
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #334
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

oh oh, yeah i get all my alcantara from jason, either way the price for alcantara is pretty much the same everywhere, NOT CHEAP.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #335
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Going rate was just over $100 a square yard last I checked. Not cheap!
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #336
Henryw1223

Drives: 2013 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hey quick question, what did you use to fill the original heated seat button area? wood? fiberglass?
Henryw1223 is offline   Reply With Quote