follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #309
ScionFreeze

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey everyone,

Just another new FR-S owner. I'm down in Del Rio, and I don't believe we'll have our own thread since I'm the only down here with one...so I'll just tag along with the San Antonio crowd. I have one of the Asphalts with the BeSpoke audio upgrade and the manual tranny. I used to own a Turbo'd Cobalt SS but traded that in for a Jeep Wrangler.

In response to the below question...I got my tint done at Precision Solar Tint off of Fredericksburg and the 410 loop in San Antonio. They use 3M Color guard tint and they did a pretty amazing job. Just a former military dude that opened up his own shop, works there alone. Cost me $280 to get all the windows tinted. I believe it was another $200 or so if you wanted the clear deal on the windshield. Real crisp lines on the tint and not a single bubble or scratch on the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1126 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place to get window tint for a reasonable price? My brother "has a guy" but he specializes in illegal tint and the cops would have my ass here.
ScionFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScionFreeze For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (07-30-2012), tripjammer (07-29-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #310
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin View Post
Sorry about that. I tore some muscle exercising, i had still planned on showing up and was just going to have someone else drive my car and me out there. But once I started peeing blood (caused by muscle breaking down, normal for bad tears but can damage the liver) I changed my mind.

I'll have to make it up to ya'll, we'll have to get everyone together for a photo shoot with the cars. Any one interested let me know and we'll work out a time and a location.

Bad weekend for 86'ers...
Dang. No kidding ... hang tough! I won't be ready for any pics until the end of August (next Coffee & Rides?) ... if this delivery ETA of Aug 20 is the real deal!!!! I was told to expect an update in about a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFreeze View Post
Hey everyone,

Just another new FR-S owner. I'm down in Del Rio, and I don't believe we'll have our own thread since I'm the only down here with one...so I'll just tag along with the San Antonio crowd. I have one of the Asphalts with the BeSpoke audio upgrade and the manual tranny. I used to own a Turbo'd Cobalt SS but traded that in for a Jeep Wrangler.

In response to the below question...I got my tint done at Precision Solar Tint off of Fredericksburg and the 410 loop in San Antonio. They use 3M Color guard tint and they did a pretty amazing job. Just a former military dude that opened up his own shop, works there alone. Cost me $280 to get all the windows tinted. I believe it was another $200 or so if you wanted the clear deal on the windshield. Real crisp lines on the tint and not a single bubble or scratch on the film.
Thanks for the tint info. I use to have a BLK 06 SC Cobalt SS! Turbo version was better IMO! What color did you have? Asphalt 6MT is what I signed up for on the First 86 promotion! Eventually decided to go the BRZ route for the xtra features. Maybe you can do a road trip from Del Rio and join up for a "Twisted Sisters" drive with the S.A. group if one ever gets organized sometime in the future!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #311
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
Dang. No kidding ... hang tough! I won't be ready for any pics until the end of August (next Coffee & Rides?) ... if this delivery ETA of Aug 20 is the real deal!!!! I was told to expect an update in about a week.

Thanks for the tint info. I use to have a BLK 06 SC Cobalt SS! Turbo version was better IMO! What color did you have? Asphalt 6MT is what I signed up for on the First 86 promotion! Eventually decided to go the BRZ route for the xtra features. Maybe you can do a road trip from Del Rio and join up for a "Twisted Sisters" drive with the S.A. group if one ever gets organized sometime in the future!
It's mostly healed, they gave me 1L of normal saline to clear me out and a little shot for the leg. I can walk and drive again so I'm good.

I would love to get 4 or more Toyobarus together for a shoot, think the twisted sister maybe a good place to get some. Well there or Harris Hill

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #312
K_Jaded

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S | Manual | Whiteout
A group photo shoot sounds awesome. Any suggestions on location? date? time? I work nights so my schedule is pretty much open. plus it would be nice to set it up to where its somewhat convenient for anyone attending. Does anyone have a nice camera that can be used for this shoot?
K_Jaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #313
Ocho-Seis

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
I'm down for a shoot!!! I have a Nikon D3000, but I'm sure someone here has better.
Ocho-Seis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #314
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

We need ideas for a location, the background is pretty important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jaded View Post
A group photo shoot sounds awesome. Any suggestions on location? date? time? I work nights so my schedule is pretty much open. plus it would be nice to set it up to where its somewhat convenient for anyone attending. Does anyone have a nice camera that can be used for this shoot?
I wanted to see who all is interested before I tried to plan anything. I'm new to the area so I need some help on the where.

Would like to do some arranged shots, some passing shots and some rolling shots.

Also I have a Canon 5d mkII, it does the job pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho-Seis View Post
I'm down for a shoot!!! I have a Nikon D3000, but I'm sure someone here has better.
Hell the more cameras the better! I hate being the only photographer because that means my car is always left out.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #315
MmmDieselFumes

Drives: .
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1126 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place to get window tint for a reasonable price? My brother "has a guy" but he specializes in illegal tint and the cops would have my ass here.
I have a great guy. $200 even (and that was for 5 full windows on a sedan). I got his number from the VW Dealership (he does all of their cars), but he came out to my office to do mine for me. I think all he needs is to have a covered garage or bay to do it, but he can also meet you at the VW Dealership (rod east, off 410 and broadway area) and do it there.

Warrantied his work, and application was flawless. He has done less-than-strickly-legal tint for me, but told me I was on my own for that. Though no big deal for me because I know a great place in Seguin to get my inspection done, and they don't care about tint.

Anyhow, I highly recommend him. He's friendly, professional, quick, and charges a great price. His name is Joe, and can be reached @ 210-381-1034. You can tell him Clint for Tormax sent ya.

Last edited by MmmDieselFumes; 08-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.
MmmDieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #316
MmmDieselFumes

Drives: .
But back onto FRS/BRZ's, I've been a lurker here for a while, and finally decided to register to say that quick snippet about tinting.

Anyways, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an FRS. I just sold the motor out of my racing diesel, so I have $5k cash in my pocket. Just have to find a good dealership that'll sell @ MSRP.

Although I do have a question for those of you car-dealership savvy people. I'll be trading in my TDI (NADA out's for like $13k clean), though I owe about $5k on it still. Do you think dealerships are more likely to play ball if you go in there with a vehicle that you don't owe anything on for the trade-in, or walk in with cash plus a trade in?

Because I can either pay off my car and tell them I want $10k for my car towards down-payment, or give them $5k cash and have them take my car and give me the difference for it post-payoff.

Cause I'd really want to get about $10k off the FRS, since it'd make the payment not painful at all.

Anyhow, thanks in advanced for the input!
MmmDieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #317
K_Jaded

Quote:
We need ideas for a location, the background is pretty important.

I wanted to see who all is interested before I tried to plan anything. I'm new to the area so I need some help on the where.

Would like to do some arranged shots, some passing shots and some rolling shots.

Also I have a Canon 5d mkII, it does the job pretty well.

Hell the more cameras the better! I hate being the only photographer because that means my car is always left out.

hmmmm...well just to throw some idea out there on location. Canyon Lake using the water as a background, Downtown San Antonio by Sunset Station using the train tracks and trains as a background, McAllister Park has an open lot by the dog park with grassy areas with trees for the background, same thing for the park downtown by the zoo. Idk just throwing some ideas around.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #318
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jaded View Post
hmmmm...well just to throw some idea out there on location. Canyon Lake using the water as a background, Downtown San Antonio by Sunset Station using the train tracks and trains as a background, McAllister Park has an open lot by the dog park with grassy areas with trees for the background, same thing for the park downtown by the zoo. Idk just throwing some ideas around.
I am doing some family pictures out by canyon lake this weekend I'll scope out some areas for a car shoot. The roads out there maybe good for the rolling shots as well. I'll also try and checkout the others.

One rolling shot I'd love to get is everyone rolling in a v formation, I've have a decent wide angle lens, but may rent something that is a step up. Know any roads that are wide enough to do this that aren't heavy traveled

Anyone

Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #319
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
Yesterday around 6 PM, I saw a brand new Red Scion FR-S rolling on the access road near the 281/1604 super interchange. Right in front the the HEB.

Looked Pimp!

Never seen a red one in real life...was so tight!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #320
sa1126

Drives: n/a
I'm down for a group shoot. Thanks for all the info on the tint!

sa1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #321
K_Jaded

Quote:
I am doing some family pictures out by canyon lake this weekend I'll scope out some areas for a car shoot. The roads out there maybe good for the rolling shots as well. I'll also try and checkout the others.

One rolling shot I'd love to get is everyone rolling in a v formation, I've have a decent wide angle lens, but may rent something that is a step up. Know any roads that are wide enough to do this that aren't heavy traveled

Anyone

i cant think of any roads that are that wide. blossom athletic center has a huge parking lot not used most of the time just not the best of backgrounds for a picture.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #322
ScionFreeze

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post

As for the Cobalt...I got lucky and got a Summit White Sedan. It was pretty rare considering it was the only year they had the white sedans. It was a blast. I had the GM Stage 2 Kit and the cold air intake...the amount of boost it was pushing out was just insane. Only downside was the torque steer and wheel hop cause it couldn't handle it.

I don't know if ya'll got the email from Scion about the First Drive event they are having at the ATT Center on August 25th. Seems like a good place to get some frs/brz people together. Heres the link: http://frsfirstdrive.eventbrite.com/
I signed up for the noon to 1pm session.
ScionFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote