follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #309
infinity21

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Well tell him it wasn't racing..lol I would be faster in the turns, never got a blue flag. He caught up because I was letting some cars pass I got to a no passing zone so I couldn't let him pass. He was too far from me anyway. from then on he just couldn't keep up in the corners. I was pointing by a lot as you see in my first session. He shouldn't complain if it's just to have fun. He was sanctioned. I wasn't. So I'm in the right.
If you're quicker, let him by and catch him.
infinity21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infinity21 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-03-2016), stevesnj (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #310
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,254 Times in 678 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
He shouldn't complain if it's just to have fun.
You're absolutely right; it is just to have fun. I'm guessing you paid good money just to have fun, and he paid good money just to have fun. That said, if someone is frustrated because he can go faster without another car in front of him, his fun is being limited by another car. I know I don't like being in that situation, and (more importantly) I certainly don't like to be the one limiting other people's fun.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #311
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
That said, if someone is frustrated because he can go faster without another car in front of him, his fun is being limited by another car. other people's fun.
So he's not in passing range but I should slow and let him pass? Then I'm not having fun.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #312
Pat

Garage
Quote:
So he's not in passing range but I should slow and let him pass? Then I'm not having fun.
You're right. I thought at SOME time during a lap he was right on you. If that's the case, there's a good chance he's faster. Even if it's just at one spot each lap. But if he's NEVER right on you there no need to give the point by.
stevesnj (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #313
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
You're right. I thought at SOME time during a lap he was right on you. If that's the case, there's a good chance he's faster. Even if it's just at one spot each lap. But if he's NEVER right on you there no need to give the point by.
Nah I wouldn't do that. He would catch up a little on the straights but then a corner would come up and he would just fall behind. He also wanted to pass me in no passing zones which if he was close I wouldn't let him pass anyway. The SCCA organizer heard about this and he was sanctioned somehow and the organizer apologized to me for his attitude and others on track backed me up on what they saw.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #314
Pat

Garage
Ahhh....good to know. Thanks for the clarification.
stevesnj (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #315
stevesnj

I should of been more clear. As you can see in my first vid I let others pass me since my tires and I were newbies in a sense. Lol

My 2016 Build thread

Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #316
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Track: New Jersey Motorsports Park (Thunderbolt)
Car: Toyota GT86 (FRS)
Mods:K&N Drop, TRD exhaust, TRD Lowering springs, TRD short shifter, Stock Prius tires and wheels, W2 Winmax pads and G-4 335 brake and clutch fluid.

For some reason i just noticed this sticky topic. Anyway I actually have a video of my first time out in intermediate. I did terrible. Which is good, such a great learing experience. Second session I did much better but the last lap the Prius tires gave up. I was able to hold off an EVO that was behind me 2 full laps and a Shelby 3-4 seconds behind the EVO. . I thought I was holding them up but I just plain out turned them in the corners. The driver complained after but if he cant handle keeping up in the turns I'm not letting him pass. So I feel better now. Looking at the video above I was able to verify what happened. The guy got upset because a Scion beat his car in the corners and I out braked him too. The pads and fluid made late braking amazingly confident. I went off a few times by missing my braking points but after that It was all a learning experience in the second session. I need better tires. I am buying a house so I'm trying to work out the budget for tires. lol

Video of my first ever Intermediate session. Stock tires gotta go. I understeered and got 2 wheels off twice. In a year this will be a great comparison video of my improvement. I took this session slow since this was my third track run ever. Critique all you want it's a starting point..lol

Regarding etiquette, if he's behind you one lap and just as far behind you the next, then you should let him by. There might be a reason he's keeping his distance.

Without being able to see the wheel or your hands, the advice we could give is limited but I see a few obvious points for improvement. By the end of your video, your lines are pretty good so I can't say much about that but I can see 2 major points of improvement and they are both about corner exit.

It looks to me like you are driving an auto in full auto. Switch it to manual mode and use the paddles. All through that video, the downshifts were all during corner exit once you put your foot down which costs you a lot of exit speed. Select gears yourself instead of letting the car do it for you and learn the correct gears for each of the corners. You should be downshifting during your braking zone before corner entry so you can get full power as soon as you need it. You'll get much faster quickly.

The other point of improvement I see is that you are really late getting back on throttle around a corner, like your car is almost straight before you get back on power and you can do it much sooner than that, usually right before the apex of the corner. You just need to wait until the cars weight transfer has settled then press down on the gas pedal as you unwind the wheel. You might need to slow down a bit more on corner entry but a slightly slower entry is a small sacrifice for a faster exit.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-03-2016), strat61caster (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #317
Whooosah

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ame]http://youtu.be/wZ10ra3bDdM[/ame]

Pir. Getting quicker and testing out new pss rubber. The car is a bit different compared to the stock tires. The stock tires start to squeal and howl quite loudly as you approach the limit of grip which is a good indicator for newbies how much grip you've got. Could have been my lack of alignment after camber bolts but with the new rubber I didn't have as much confidence through the chicane. There def is more grip, I just need to learn how to use it now.

I was also playing with tire pressures more. The first two sessions were really hot around 95 f ambient temp. This final session cooled off 15-20 degrees as the sun went down and lower pressures helped from tires greasing out. I was around 30 psi all around cold. A temp reader and quality pressure gauge are next on the list to help tune pressures. It took all day to beat my time on stock tires with the new pss but when I did it was over 2 seconds faster so I am happy.

Running lower pressure also made the car feel a bit mushy on the softer tire.
Whooosah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whooosah For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #318
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Regarding etiquette, if he's behind you one lap and just as far behind you the next, then you should let him by. There might be a reason he's keeping his distance.

Without being able to see the wheel or your hands, the advice we could give is limited but I see a few obvious points for improvement. By the end of your video, your lines are pretty good so I can't say much about that but I can see 2 major points of improvement and they are both about corner exit.

It looks to me like you are driving an auto in full auto. Switch it to manual mode and use the paddles. All through that video, the downshifts were all during corner exit once you put your foot down which costs you a lot of exit speed. Select gears yourself instead of letting the car do it for you and learn the correct gears for each of the corners. You should be downshifting during your braking zone before corner entry so you can get full power as soon as you need it. You'll get much faster quickly.

The other point of improvement I see is that you are really late getting back on throttle around a corner, like your car is almost straight before you get back on power and you can do it much sooner than that, usually right before the apex of the corner. You just need to wait until the cars weight transfer has settled then press down on the gas pedal as you unwind the wheel. You might need to slow down a bit more on corner entry but a slightly slower entry is a small sacrifice for a faster exit.
Thanks, nah he would sorta get close then around the corners i'd just get around so fast I pulled lengths away. His car is faster so it was a back and forth like that. also i'm in a manual, I typically stay in 4th gear down to 3rd in some corners for acceleration at the corner exit, the car isn't powerful enough to accelerate out of the corners quickly, especially on stock tires and traction control going crazy. My iPhone was mounted just next to the rear view mirror on the windshield so the audio is muted so that why you may not hear my acceleration. Thanks for the insights but once I get proper tires and turn off my traction control I will definitely gain more confidence. I am too fast for my tires I think..lol This was only my first time solo in non novice class. I didn't record my 2nd session.

My 2016 Build thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #319
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whooosah View Post
The car is a bit different compared to the stock tires. The stock tires start to squeal and howl quite loudly as you approach the limit of grip which is a good indicator for newbies how much grip you've got.
Exactly what my 2 sessions sounded like.

My 2016 Build thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #320
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8w3JDYh8Bk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8w3JDYh8Bk[/ame]

Wet Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #321
stevesnj

Love the Nurburgring! Awesome circuit!! Jealous.

My 2016 Build thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #322
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Love the Nurburgring! Awesome circuit!! Jealous.
I guess you mean the Nordschleife? I only drove the Grand Prix circuit so far.

I'm lucky to live close to some historical tracks. All within a few hours drive:
Nürburgring, Spa-Francorchamps, Zolder, Hockenheim. So far I tried Zolder and Nürburgring GP circuit. This is my first year tracking and Zolder was my first track experience so I guess I consider it my "home track".

Apart from more Zolder and Grand Prix circuit, my next priority is Spa. When I gather more courage and feel confident I will try Nürburgring Nordschleife too, but for now it's not so high on the list.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote